IGNORED

Great Room Build

tjfslaughter

The detail the architect shows the first course of block filled with cement to lock it in. If I did stem walls I would have rebar coming up from the footing (normal detail). I typically follow what the architect and engineers show. Well in this case I added 1.5 inch of footing, an additional rebar and increased the concrete to 4000 psi with air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha, additional rebar and concrete never hurts. Kind of confused why he “required” forming because it’s not code. Perhaps since you are going over top of existing footings he wanted to make sure bearing was inline with no overhang. Either way, you are doing a great job and taking on a huge task doing it yourself. I commend you for that. Lunatic made a good point, even if it is not required by code, if your arch specs it you must do it unless he makes a revision. Good luck, if i can help in any way feel free to reach out to me

AWM

"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" does not work with building inspector. However; I think you inspector is full of shit!

It doesn’t bother me, I use the top of the forms to get it dead nuts level and it only added a couple hundred bucks and a few hours. This inspector has been real good to me over the years.

You actually have to follow the drawings once they approved so I understand.

Lots of detail pages have the words “minimum” after them. This allows me to go with a stronger concrete. I do this in commercial work a lot so we can get on it quicker (usually after the 3 day break) sometimes 7.

3 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

It doesn’t bother me, I use the top of the forms to get it dead nuts level and it only added a couple hundred bucks and a few hours. This inspector has been real good to me over the years.

You have tons to do so you can't look into every single detail and question its necessity. I was just asking from curiosity

You have tons to do so you can't look into every single detail and question its necessity. I was just asking from curiosity

It’s fine. I’m doing a lot of this solo so having the forms really helped me get it level quick. I am going to have guys do the block and get some guys for the framing, I will be assisting in the framing as well.

Rain sucks when you are trying to build. You never really follow the weather as much except when you are trying to build something outdoors. 

It took me 4 months earlier this year to get a foundation in the ground

www.liftxrentals.com

Rain sucks when you are trying to build. You never really follow the weather as much except when you are trying to build something outdoors. 
It took me 4 months earlier this year to get a foundation in the ground

Operator was here today for about 2 hours. A little soupy but we need about 2 more hours to finish the footings. Block guys are lined up for late next week. Then onto stone and rat slab.

IMG_1157.JPGIMG_1159.JPG

Had to hand dig out the mud so there is a chance it will dry out for a Tuesday pour. I started the forms today and will finish them up with rebar for 11 am inspection tomorrow. I will be running the plate compactor for a while before throwing rebar in. I ran it for about 2 hours this morning. I am doing about 80 feet of footings.

Remember to keep your rebar away from the forms and earth. Straight out of the 2015 IRC. Your arch. probably spec’d it but since you have been working so hard i figured i would throw it out there. I always hated seeing someone fail an inspection on the little stuff

Minimum cover for reinforcement in concrete cast in removable forms that will be exposed to the earth or weather shall be 11/2 inches (38 mm) for No. 5 bars and smaller, and 2 inches (50 mm) for No. 6 bars and larger. For concrete cast in removable forms that will not be exposed to the earth or weather, and for concrete cast in stay-in-place forms, minimum cover shall be 3/4 inch (19 mm).

AWM