Who's trout fishing this spring? Fly fishing or ultra light spinning tackle? Do you go anywhere but NJ?:up:

• Like 2

Yes flyfish PA, NJ and NY. Fish for trout, bass, pike and hybreds. Actually i will fish for anything that presents an opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I trout fish NJ and NY. 

Ultralight spin tackle for me.

• Like 1

Pink shrimp salmon eggs on ultralight 4 lb test in the Big Flatbrook for us to start ...If time allows, my son and I will try the no kill stretch of the fly section with nymphs before the opener...A couple of years ago, nmc02 was showing Christopher how to "walk the dog" and some basics of fly fishing when he caught a nice rainbow on a drifted nymph.. Was cool and we are really going to try and use the fly rods more this season...

thumbnail_Resized_20160328_153145.jpg

• Like 9

Never missed the opening day from Monmouth to Sussex County.  Fly- Spinning - Conventional - Boat -bank- Wading. getting more out of it with My Grandsons now into it.  

Outside of Nj Did Pa few times Alaska the most distant dozens of times since 1966 Fly only for Trout - Dollys - Reds - Silvers -Kings - Grays Brother had a Commercial boat in Homer never went with him or saltwater fishing to many opportunities for fresh water from Seward to Eagle.  Also never needed to Fly in or out that is for the Tourist.  Want to do it on your own with some help I will Guide you through it  

:popcorn:  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Pink shrimp salmon eggs on ultralight 4 lb test in the Big Flatbrook for us to start ...If time allows, my son and I will try the no kill stretch of the fly section with nymphs before the opener...A couple of years ago, nmc02 was showing Christopher how to "walk the dog" and some basics of fly fishing when he caught a nice rainbow on a drifted nymph.. Was cool and we are really going to try and use the fly rods more this season...

Priceless memories forever Thanks, Dad   Get some Trout Magnets  

Edited by 1957Buck
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LPJR said:

That's awesome Lou!! Great job Christopher!!

• Like 3

Mostly spinning using a small rapalla, phoebe or rooster tail.  I try a tenkara but I stink at it.  I am fortunate to back up to the Musky so I mostly fish there.  I can't wait for April 7th!

21 minutes ago, LPJR said:

I look forward to getting the two of you out with the fly rods.  Maybe the Musky or SBR if you don't know them as well as the Flatbrook.  

I will likely or have purchased  fishing licenses in '18 for NJ, PA, NY, CT, VA, and Labrador, Canada which will be my most ever in a single year.  And if I have to fly to my "home office" in Bozeman, add a MT license.  It's going to be a fun year again for me.  Time to do some much needed and much missed fishing.  Flows on local rivers and streams are awesome going into spring and all this recent snow should guarantee good hatches in normal times and not early as it looked might be the case.  At least for northern NJ streams and rivers. 

:flyfish:  

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

2 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I look forward to getting the two of you out with the fly rods.  Maybe the Musky or SBR if you don't know them as well as the Flatbrook.  

I will likely or have purchased  fishing licenses in '18 for NJ, PA, NY, CT, VA, and Labrador, Canada which will be my most ever in a single year.  And if I have to fly to my "home office" in Bozeman, add a MT license.  It's going to be a fun year again for me.  Time to do some much needed and much missed fishing.  Flows on local rivers and streams are awesome going into spring and all this recent snow should guarantee good hatches in normal times and not early as it looked might be the case.  At least for northern NJ streams and rivers. 

That's awesome Brian!!

• Like 1

Will fish NJ and PA for sure this year for trout. Maybe NY if Bucksandbows plays fishing guide for me 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bucksnbows said:

We would love to go with you Brian...It appears that you have fly fished a time or two.....:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TroutandBucks said:

Will fish NJ and PA for sure this year for trout. Maybe NY if Bucksandbows plays fishing guide for me 

I keep telling you that once I get you catching huge, wild trout on the West Branch, you'll toss your spinning gear in the trash.  And on dries, but you will need to cast far, young grasshopper.  And learn the reach cast and upstream mend.  So much to teach you still :nerd::rofl:

• Like 4

Be on the Delaware and its tributaries everyday provided my job stays along the river.

IMG_3263.JPG

• Like 6

I will be with my 6' rod and spinning reel with power bait and trout magnets-going after stocked trout. You wild trout purist snobs keep your bashing to a minimum please.:rofl:

• Haha 4

I grew up knee deep in salt water and never did much of fresh water fishing.
Maybe one day

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

I will be with my 6' rod and spinning reel with power bait and trout magnets-going after stocked trout. You wild trout purist snobs keep your bashing to a minimum please.:rofl:

lol just think you can make Claymation animals out of the leftover power bait. lol jk. Best of luck 3 blade.  

a10022i0_playdohcat185.jpg

• Haha 4

NJ NY PA for me 

not many trips to each. once the salt water bite heats up but still worth the price of the license for the few times I do go 

• Agree 1

I'm looking to get into Ultralight trout fishing this year. Maybe someone can help me with this question. I see some many different manufacturers of ultralight spinning rods on the market, What would be a good rod to buy for streams and Kayak lake fishing, rod length, rod weight & warranty. My friend told me to get the new Ugly Stik Elite, Does anyone use the Ugly Stik?. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Coonan357 said:

I'm looking to get into Ultralight trout fishing this year. Maybe someone can help me with this question. I see some many different manufacturers of ultralight spinning rods on the market, What would be a good rod to buy for streams and Kayak lake fishing, rod length, rod weight & warranty. My friend told me to get the new Ugly Stik Elite, Does anyone use the Ugly Stik?. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

rod length a lot of times is better based on the allowable area to cast, a shorter rod for smaller creeks and streams , a longer rod for bigger streams and rivers.

I like the Fenwick HMG rods, for the money they are a super rod.

for a longer ultralight I like  the Fenwick Elite Tech River runner series

44 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

I was all about salmon eggs and Mepps or Fox Vibrax spinners when I didn't exclusively fly fish.  I felt I could catch every trout in the river armed with those.  These days, the odd fluke trip or striper trolling trip are my only exceptions to fly fishing.  But I refuse to wear tweed while dry fly fishing and casting upstream.  I do have my snobbery limits, after all.  :)     

• Haha 2

Fly fishing NJ, NY and maybe PA this year.  All fish caught released.

NJ PA NY for sure, maybe WY or MT, I like big water, haven't used a spinning rod in 20 years

due to get back to the Kootenai in MT

IMGP0849_194.JPG

• Like 5
  • Winner 1