Russ 11

Cedar and pine seedlings

Looking to buy cedar and pine seedlings.  Any suggestions on where to get locally  ( north jersey ).  Property used have some nice cedar thickets but there all but gone now . Been doing some hinge cutting the last few years and will be doing more this year and would like to plant some seedlings to help things along . Also what's better to plant red or white cedar ?  Thanks in advance .

• Like 1

Not sure about local..

I ordered 300 Norway spruce through musser forrest online.. they will ship early April and cost about $160 including shipping.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Years ago I was able to get seedlings through the NJ State Forestry  or through the Farm Bureau  I dont remember but they came bare root they were maybe 10 cents a piece and some were 8-10 inches....spruce,  pine etc.  you had to own a few acres to be able to get them....

• Like 1

White cedar grows in acidic, wet, lowlands.  You want red cedar unless you are planting them in a low wet area.  

• Like 2

Go with Red Cedars. Deer seam to really like them for cover. Always find sheds around them. 

• Like 3

Russ 11 - I haven't for the past two years but for the prior several years I purchased seedlings through the NJ State Forestry for school arbor days.  I believe they were $25 per 100.  They were about 4-6 inches tall and came in tubes with some soil.  Hopefully the link below will get you there.  You might also want to check for local native plant suppliers.  I have purchased seedlings from Pinelands Nursery in Columbus Burlington County, but you'd have to call (609)291-9486.

Good luck,

Bob

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/nj_forest_nursery.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pucknut said:

Russ 11 - I haven't for the past two years but for the prior several years I purchased seedlings through the NJ State Forestry for school arbor days.  I believe they were $25 per 100.  They were about 4-6 inches tall and came in tubes with some soil.  Hopefully the link below will get you there.  You might also want to check for local native plant suppliers.  I have purchased seedlings from Pinelands Nursery in Columbus Burlington County, but you'd have to call (609)291-9486.

Good luck,

Bob

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/nj_forest_nursery.htm

Thats what I was referring too..

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great info gentleman . I will look into all the options posted .  

• Like 1

Here's a related question...if you have neighbors stand pretty close to property border and on edge of your bedding....would you use red cedar to fill and block view to bedding?

Wondering if Cedars would make deer bed even closer or maybe plant them opposite side of bedding? Maybe Egyptian grass to cover bedding exit? Neighbors are setup to pick'em off coming out of bedding and its a spot I can't access without blowing it up.

Russ, you got my PMs, correct?  Go with their tubelings for real savings.  But expect some deer browse until they are tall enough to be over the browse line.  Norway spruce can be better because of the lack or greatly reduced browsing as they grow into bedding thickets or travel corridors.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, megavites said:

Here's a related question...if you have neighbors stand pretty close to property border and on edge of your bedding....would you use red cedar to fill and block view to bedding?

Wondering if Cedars would make deer bed even closer or maybe plant them opposite side of bedding? Maybe Egyptian grass to cover bedding exit? Neighbors are setup to pick'em off coming out of bedding and its a spot I can't access without blowing it up.

Deer will bed in cedars. It acts as thermal cover. Norway spruce however will grow faster for you then the cedars will. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have this situation where the neighbors sit the property line. 

I hinge cut trees along that border so they cant see into my property. Eventually ,I am going to run a wire fence along that border

They dont really have any woods to hunt, only a 15 to 20 acre hay field. 

• Like 2

If you have the room, I would create a sanctuary in the center of your property, as far from your neighbors as possible.  Drop a bunch of trees to create thick cover and let sunlight in.  Plant some fast growing evergreens like Norway spruce, and most important, NEVER GO INTO THE SANCTUARY.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

NEVER GO INTO THE SANCTUARY.  

This!!!  And never doesn't mean "only monthly"  :)

You can easily place trail cams on trails leading to or away from those sanctuaries to know what's using them.  Never a need to venture in to look for beds.  If it's a sanctuary and has the proper cover, deer will bed there.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

This!!!  And never doesn't mean "only monthly"  :)

You can easily place trail cams on trails leading to or away from those sanctuaries to know what's using them.  Never a need to venture in to look for beds.  If it's a sanctuary and has the proper cover, deer will bed there.   

In my sanctuaries, they are off limits usually around mid August until the close of the season. NJ deer will tolerate a lot more than the deer on my property in Illinois.

The deer in NJ are used to people and noises. They can tell when they are being hunted. If you condition them to your activities, they  stay put. If you have to go in, always make a little noise so the deer know you are there and they have a chance to move ahead of you. Every once in awhile I will go in on a tractor or quad on the trails I have made on the perimeter of the property just to keep an eye out for trespassers. I can drive right past them and they wont move. Pretend like you dont see them and they hang tight. If I do bump them, they usually make a big loop around the sanctuary and go right back in. I like to go in during the off season shed hunting, maintaining the perimeter trails and hingecutting. The wife likes to ride her quad  from time time on little nature cruises. I keep her on the trails I cut . Never push the deer when you see them.  Stop and give them room and time to move on. They stay completely relaxed that way. I can now drive down my driveway with my truck and they wont even get up. If I dont see a few on the drive in, Im like wtf. They lay around like cattle

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

In my sanctuaries, they are off limits usually around mid August until the close of the season. NJ deer will tolerate a lot more than the deer on my property in Illinois.

The deer in NJ are used to people and noises. They can tell when they are being hunted. If you condition them to your activities, they  stay put. If you have to go in, always make a little noise so the deer know you are there and they have a chance to move ahead of you. Every once in awhile I will go in on a tractor or quad on the trails I have made on the perimeter of the property just to keep an eye out for trespassers. I can drive right past them and they wont move. Pretend like you dont see them and they hang tight. If I do bump them, they usually make a big loop around the sanctuary and go right back in. I like to go in during the off season shed hunting, maintaining the perimeter trails and hingecutting. The wife likes to ride her quad  from time time on little nature cruises. I keep her on the trails I cut . Never push the deer when you see them.  Stop and give them room and time to move on. They stay completely relaxed that way. I can now drive down my driveway with my truck and they wont even get up. If I dont see a few on the drive in, Im like wtf. They lay around like cattle

Speaking as someone with both experience and discipline, you know what you're doing.  I was saying "never" to the average NJ deer hunter that needs instant gratification after dumping 100 lbs. of corn on the ground.  That guy's idea of "never" will be only 6 or 7 times a year :)

You are absolutely correct about not pressuring the deer and having regular, non-hunting interactions with them so they are not afraid of certain human activities.