jbosco1

NJWW Catch and Release Striper Contest

Hi guys. I’ve been on this site for about a year after recently taking up hunting. The people I’ve met so far have been great mentors and really helped me get a start in the hunting world.

While I enjoy hunting, my true passion has always been fishing. There seemed to interest in hosting a striped bass contest (sorry bragging rights only) and having hosted a few of these amongst friends I would be more than happy to set one up here.

I thought a C&R contest would be the best option for two reasons. One it allows for greater participation. Not everyone can get to a weigh station easily from where they fish. Two regardless of whether you fish for sport or food (I do both) it’s important to keep in mind that the large female stripers caught in the spring are carrying the next generation of fish. Let the big girls swim they don’t taste nearly as good as their smaller friends anyway!

I will go over entry criteria and rules below. While I am open to some changes this is what has worked in the past and I’d like to keep this thread from turning into an argument over rules as opposed to a fun contest. I am thinking the official start date will be 3/31 so until then what is listed below is up for discussion.

As for the reporting I will report updated totals and catches of the week on Thursday of each week. The contest will run until The weekend after thanksgiving 2018

Rules

1. All submissions must include a CLEAR picture of you and the fish on the scale. If I can’t see the weight it’s not going to count. With smartphones being as sophisticated as they are these days it shouldn’t be a problem.
  2. All fish must be weighted on the scale linked below. It’s the only way to keep things consistent and at $20 it costs less than most plugs. I’ve used this scale for years. Keep it in a plastic bag and it will last a long time. https://www.amazon.com/ReelSonar-Digital-Scale-Measure-Gripper/dp/B00W9ME9AE/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1521140468&sr=1-7&keywords=fish+scale&dpID=31G94ll2bAL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch#customerReviews
  3. All submissions must be PM’d to me in order to count. Feel free to post your catch on the forum but in order for it to count it needs to be sent directly to me. I just don’t have the time to keep track of which submissions on the forum I have or haven’t logged.
  4. Submissions must have the following information included in order to count
    1. Photo
    2. Geographical Area of the catch
      1. North (Ocean county and up)
      2. South (anything below that)
    3. Water Type
      1. Out front: Ocean
      2. Back Bay: Harbor, Rivers, Marshes
    4. Tackle Type
      1. Spinning/Conventional Gear
      2. Surf
      3. Fly
  5. Fish need to weight more than 20lbs in order to count towards gross weight and large catch divisions

Divisions

• Biggest Fish
  • Gross Weight
  • # of fish over 20lbs

There will be sub categories of each which include Geographical Area, Water & Tackle Type

Entry Guidelines

1. Anyone can sign up at any time. The following information is required in order to sign up
    1. Name
    2. Location (Can be general)

Let me know what you guys think. I could be a fun way to connect with fellow fisherman. I ask that everyone keep comments positive. Not everyone here is a sharpie and every fish landed or submitted is a win in itself. Tight Lines

-Joe

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Is this a real Striper surf fishing contest or are you allowing the cream puffs that use boats?

I think you would be putting to much on you sending you pms. Make this thread a sign up and make another thread for entries, like the deer contest. Dosnt have to be for bragging rights. As with deer could be small entry fee for individual free teams and donations for prizes. Just a thought

Is this a real Striper surf fishing contest or are you allowing the cream puffs that use boats?

what the matter, you get green if your feet leave the sand ????????

IMO 20# is a ridiculously low starting weight,.

seems like your putting a lot of fish through extra stress for no reason  especially on a tourney promoting C/R .

90% of the bass caught here would be kept out of water longer than necessary, just for bragging rights.

I also see guys will complain about total numbers because some of us fish way more than its possible for most to do 

Agree with vdep, let's set up an entry topic vs doing it in PMs.  I think you'll get inundated with them, and it might be harder to go through PMs and keep track of them that way.

Also by using an entry topic, the mods and I can help you out, I can set up a scoreboard, etc.

My way to keep track of that is by posting "scoreboard updated" each time I update it, so everything before that point has been recorded.

Let's make it as publicly visible as possible for all the enjoy :up:

Also 20# minimum would result in a lot of entries and a lot of stress on fish for sure.  Dan may have a good point there.

what the matter, you get green if your feet leave the sand ????????

I don't have a boat so I am jealous.....

• Agree 1

I don't have a boat so I am jealous.....

your more than welcome to come along with Jack 

• Agree 1

I just want to know if that 99lb scale is going to be sufficient?!?!  There are some awfully BIG fish tales that come out of this group! :rofl:

• Agree 1

Agree with vdep, let's set up an entry topic vs doing it in PMs.  I think you'll get inundated with them, and it might be harder to go through PMs and keep track of them that way.

Also by using an entry topic, the mods and I can help you out, I can set up a scoreboard, etc.

My way to keep track of that is by posting "scoreboard updated" each time I update it, so everything before that point has been recorded.

Let's make it as publicly visible as possible for all the enjoy :up:

Also 20# minimum would result in a lot of entries and a lot of stress on fish for sure.  Dan may have a good point there.

I’m fine with setting up a scoreboard. Anything to make my life easier. I’ve never participated in the deer contest so I’m not sure how it works. Maybe one of the mods could PM me on what some of the options are for scorekeeping ect. Are.

As for separating surf and boat catches that’s what the different sub categories of the divisions would be for (the different types of tackle) that way everyone is on a similar playing field.

And #20 was just an arbitrary number I personally like #30 but for the surf guys it’s not always as easy to come by I want to be inclusive of everyone. As for the total number of fish category and gross weight are just fun numbers to keep track of and highlights the guys who are really putting in hours and consistently catching big fish. Every year I’ve done it the biggest fish is usually caught by the guy who fished minimal hours and just got lucky.

90% of fish are caught by 10% of fisherman... the other 10% are always the biggest

• Agree 1

I’m fine with setting up a scoreboard. Anything to make my life easier. I’ve never participated in the deer contest so I’m not sure how it works. Maybe one of the mods could PM me on what some of the options are for scorekeeping ect. Are.

As for separating surf and boat catches that’s what the different sub categories of the divisions would be for (the different types of tackle) that way everyone is on a similar playing field.

And #20 was just an arbitrary number I personally like #30 but for the surf guys it’s not always as easy to come by I want to be inclusive of everyone. As for the total number of fish category and gross weight are just fun numbers to keep track of and highlights the guys who are really putting in hours and consistently catching big fish. Every year I’ve done it the biggest fish is usually caught by the guy who fished minimal hours and just got lucky.

90% of fish are caught by 10% of fisherman... the other 10% are always the biggest

We can do the scoring the way you have it.

We'll just add the list of participants under each category to the first post of the contest entry topic and keep editing that first post with the latest and greatest entries :up:

I'll take care of the sidebar on the main page.

your more than welcome to come along with Jack 

Very nice of you.  I'll bring the cream puffs. lol

Very nice of you.  I'll bring the cream puffs. lol

They work for keeping your stomach settled that fine for me  :rofl: 

• Agree 1

They work for keeping your stomach settled that fine for me  :rofl:

Oddly, I have never been sea sick and have been out a lot.  Real close a few times , but I was able to fight it off. 

• Agree 1

Oddly, I have never been sea sick and have been out a lot.  Real close a few times , but I was able to fight it off. 

I only puke if I don't catch fish , or someone calls for the net on a 16" fluke .

Man IM glad that doesn't happen to often