IGNORED

Time for shad

hammer4reel

Tougher than smallies? Love fishing for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of similarities to the fight of the smallmouth, with exception of making longer runs, but the fish generally run 2.5 to 5.5 lbs of late, with potential for 6-7 lbs most years and some years over 10lbs but that has been quite a while since I seen fish even running over 8lbs. A shad over 6 lbs will break you, and in fast water very difficult to land but that's the fun. I fought a fish last year from boat in high water for 30 minutes that would have easily won me over 10 grand, only to have the hook pull at the net, after having her close to the net several times... The big ones always have that something extra when they see you. The fact that they have soft mouths means you can't just horse them in on heavy tackle...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I'm ready....changed made in gear. Will go 6.5 rod, but still want to catch one on the light 5.6 rod...cause everyone says I cant...lol

you can catch them on any rod. when shore fishing the longer rod lets you cast further easier.

On a boat any ultralite or lite rod works great as casting distance isn't an issue.

But if using a super long rod such as a noodle rod a net is best used, as it makes landing them while wading easier without stressing the rod.

I like the 7'6" rods because they offer a much longer cast than even a 7' yet they still balance back well with a smaller reel.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I'm ready....changed made in gear. Will go 6.5 rod, but still want to catch one on the light 5.6 rod...cause everyone says I cant...lol

easy to do from my boat!

I shot a big 10pt once….

They are a blast to catch. I don’t do much Shad fishing outside of the tournament anymore but I enjoy every moment out there. They are a very strong fish especially against the current in Foul Rift in April. Nothing more chaotic on the river then one boat, two guys and four screaming reels! This is getting me excited Shad fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then let me know when .... :rofl: :rofl:

And it's not just the length of rod that is the advantage - of course it increases cast distance but it also greatly improves your ability to have that last "most effective part" of your drift/retrieve through the strike zone. Many spots the shad are running 6-9' from where you can safely wade in up to your chest. A shorter rod brings that most critical part of your presentation (the last 1/3 of it) much closer to shore and often out of the slot they are running, whereas a longer rod gives you a huge advantage (including fly rods too). I have certainly caught many a shad back in the day with the same 5' 6" rod I would use from boat, but that was mainly in rapids, standing out on a rock or a shelf where the length of rod was nearly irrelevant and most of my fishing was from boat so didn't invest in shore fishing rods. Now I do more shore than boat.

I shot a big 10pt once….

Despite only needing two colors (pink / white and green / chartreuse)and a few small sizes from 1/64 to 1/16 once - I do play around with some new colors each year. I know a guy that kills them from shore down in Easton by the fish ladder in the candy corn color shown here so I made some up.

0592EB87-3316-4B33-92C2-5C172F1BC01D.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

^^

are they darts or ball jigs  :shock:

takes a little more paint and liquid vinyl dips to pass my QC - I like a little cushion up on the nose, prevents chipping and that final dip in clear gloss sealer.

That candy corn color - first powder dip in glow white. Then 2/3 dip in yellow chanteuse. Then Blaze orange dip for head. Then tied up and final dip in sealer. (4 dips).

That green/yellow - first tip in powder coat glow green, then have to dip head in vinyl white to prepare for 3rd tip of the head in chartreuse yellow, then tied up and dipped in sealer. (4 dips).

The green head, green charteuse darts start with white vinyl dip (no sense in wasting powder coat). Then full dip in green chartreuse. Then dip head in dark bright green, then tied up and sealer dip. (4 dips). Pink / white are fastests (and still top color). One dip in powder coat glow white, then hot pink vinyl dip, then tied and sealer (3 dips).

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

takes a little more paint and liquid vinyl dips to pass my QC - I like a little cushion up on the nose, prevents chipping and that final dip in clear gloss sealer.

That candy corn color - first powder dip in glow white. Then 2/3 dip in yellow chanteuse. Then Blaze orange dip for head. Then tied up and final dip in sealer. (4 dips).

That green/yellow - first tip in powder coat glow green, then have to dip head in vinyl white to prepare for 3rd tip of the head in chartreuse yellow, then tied up and dipped in sealer. (4 dips).

The green head, green charteuse darts start with white vinyl dip (no sense in wasting powder coat). Then full dip in green chartreuse. Then dip head in dark bright green, then tied up and sealer dip. (4 dips). Pink / white are fastests (and still top color). One dip in powder coat glow white, then hot pink vinyl dip, then tied and sealer (3 dips).

Want chip resistant use powder and bake them 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/