cewoz560

Need training stuff where to buy.

I am in the process of getting a hunting dog he will be my pheasant dog in the morning my afternoon retriever for duck hunting. And of course tracker for deer hunting as well.

I am wondering where you guys get all your training stuff from and or if somebody has training stuff that they let me borrow and or buy.

Let me know I've never trained a dog for Upland / duck retrieving.

Specifically I'm looking for

A dummy launcher

Chukar launcher

Dummys

E collar?

GPS collar?

Blood tracking collar

Starter pistol

22 blanks

20 gauge blanks

12 gauge blanks

Cap gun etc

Antlers

Fresh deer hide

Fresh or frozen Fox etc

I am located in southern Monmouth County but travel to North Jersey area daily.

I would also take any other suggestions of what I might need to train his dog to be the all-around hunting dog.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have usually been getting my gear from Gun Dog Supply but recently bought a Garmin GPS collar from Lion Country Supply.

The gal I spoke with at GDS was not as knowledgeable as the guy at LCS who took a lot of time with me to answer my concerns and to offer advise he had based on customer experience.

So I placed my order last Friday afternoon and had my package the next day which was totally unexpected.

Based on the price of the Garmin I purchased they seriously discounted some other gear I wanted and threw in some treats for my dog.

What breed are you getting? It's a great experience training a pup. Patience and love makes a bond that lasts forever. I have ordered from Gun Dog Supply. Good online store!

You forgot pigeons and a pigeon coop. Don't buy stuff until you use different types. Lots of people go cheap on their remote launchers and regret it.

I use gundog supply

If it were me I would train him or her to hunt one thing at a time,

Too much can be overwhelming for a pup

Jmo

Congrats on the dog good luck with your training I enjoy watching my dog learn.

What breed are you getting? It's a great experience training a pup. Patience and love makes a bond that lasts forever. I have ordered from Gun Dog Supply. Good online store!

I'm actually getting Deutsch-Drahthaar welp date expected April 21st.

• Agree 1

You forgot pigeons and a pigeon coop. Don't buy stuff until you use different types. Lots of people go cheap on their remote launchers and regret it.

Pigeon coop wasn't planning on raising pigeons! Actually was a guy on here selling a coop that his Township would not let him have in his backyard. I probably can't have a coop either real close neighborhood

You have been given good advice thus far with on-line dog supply stores; but don forget Craigslist can be your friend too! Nothing wrong with ¨used dummies.¨

And don´t forget to get him micro - chipped!

Posted (edited)

cewoz560

First let me say welcome to the wonderful, wacky world for bird doggers.

Since your prospective bird dog is still "in the oven" I suggest that instead of focusing on acquiring "stuff" that you get involved with a training group such as NAVHDA or, if you want to focus more on retrieving, NAHRA.  I know there is at least one Navhda group in NJ , may be more.

If you go to training sessions to watch and learn...you will know what you need and what will work for you, your dog and your situation.

You will also meet a whole bunch of folks that share the same bird dog affliction, and you just never know where that can lead. 

Gun Dog Supply and Lion Country are two quality suppliers.  I have used both of them multiple times in the past. I also use Dogs Unlimited for some things(I like their bird bags the best).  All have several levels of equipment  depending on your training goals, the breed and type of dog and your level of involvement. 

If you are going to use a training tool extensively for the next decade...buy the best.  If you are going to use it for a few weeks or months on one dog... something serviceable but not the very highest quality or price might be a better value for you. 

I train pointers and the two tools I use a great deal are a 20' stiff check cord and a Wonder lead.  I actually use a  $7 pigging string instead of a $20 Wonder lead, but I am a cheapskate. 

RayG

PS -

Keep your eyes open for a used medium sized dog crate. The largest one that has a handle on top.   I bought one used, made a raised floor for it out of a sheet of luan, 3/4 X 1" stringers and 1/2" hardware cloth.  I cut a hole in the back of the crate large enough to put a1 Qt. bird feeder and a 1 Qt waterer and covered the hole with a piece of luan that I fastened to one end with a screw, nut and washers so I coud swing it open and closed.   

It will hold a dozen quail easily, or a half dozen pigeons or chucker.  This way you can keep training birds in your garage or shed for several days or more and no one has to know.    I have kept a dozen quail in such a crate for over 2 weeks and they flew just fine. 

Edited by birddogger

Lion country, gun dog supply, collar clinic.

First off what breed of dog are you getting and does it come from “working stock”?

Secondly trying to train any pup for three different disciplines all at once is not advisable especially for a beginner.

You also have to ask yourself what level of dog do you want to produce in each area and at what timeline. Everything starts with basic obedience no matter what, sit stay here heel & come. That has to be rocksolid and that training basically starts immediately. I see you listed a E collar do you understand the concept behind the device? do you plan on collar conditioning the dog? ( answer should be yes) Force fetch? (Answer should be yes) Also what is more important to you having a good duck dog ? having a good upland dog? having a shed dog? having a tracking dog? Each one asks different things of the dog and of the trainer/handler. Like anything in life when you try to do too much too quickly you usually don’t end up with a good finished product. Having a proficient waterfowl dog is going to be the most demanding training out of all of them steadiness, marking, swinging with the gun, delivering to hand, lining, running blinds, hand signals(casting) whistle sits. If you is a solid duck dog that’s a minimum 2-2.5years and that’s under a good trainer with a good training group( and a Lab) For a waterfowl dog essentially you are taking “control” of the dog. It’s not instinctual to run blinds And take hand signals, it’s not instinctual to deliver to hand, not instinctual to be steady. So training a dog to turn off some of it senses and rely on you and then training a dog to use all of it senses and pretty much not rely on you at the same time is extremely contradictory, confusing and most likely frustrating. In all honesty I’m no expert in shed hunting, deer tracking, fur tracking or blood tracking of any kind with a dog. However, I can see how it can be confusing for a dog to figure out what its job is. I assume there’s going to be some audible and or visual cue that goes along with each task that in itself is going to take time to train. I would prioritize what really means the most to you and along with formal obedience focus on that first. I’d imagine the tracking and trailing stuff can be intermingled at some level once the dog is solid on the individual cues. And the upland training isn’t that intensive again depending on what breed. You don’t need an extra special dog to hunt ditch chickens around here. A dog with good prey drive and some natural ability will put plenty of birds in the bag. Depending on what you consider a good waterfowl dog that will be your biggest hurdle. Personally, I think at BARE MINIMUM you need a steady dog that will reliably handle out to 75yds and deliver to hand. Just some things to consider. Also depending on your breed I would join the appropriate club

Couple of items i’d add to your list

4’ lead

100’ lead

British Slip lead

Choke chain

Flat buckle collar with D loop

Crop

Wiffle bat

Dowl

2” bumpers

(6) 3” black & white bumpers

(6) 3” white bumpers

(6) 3” orange bumpers

Couple white buckets

Surveyors tape

Rubber mat

Couple milk crates

Cheap duck calls

Roy Gonia whistle or similar

Lanyard

Dog first aid kit

EMT gel

Items you could probably ditch

GPS Collar

Dummy launcher

Bird launcher

I can offer you some good advice. Be at wawa at 539/70 at 8am Sunday. Come out and see what it’s all about. We are a small groups of guys that get together to train retrievers. You can get an idea of equipment, techniques, etc. If your intersted message me. Chris

cewoz560

Since your prospective bird dog is still "in the oven" I suggest that instead of focusing on acquiring "stuff" that you get involved with a training group such as NAVHDA or, if you want to focus more on retrieving, NAHRA. I know there is at least one Navhda group in NJ , may be more.

If you go to training sessions to watch and learn...you will know what you need and what will work for you, your dog and your situation.

You will also meet a whole bunch of folks that share the same bird dog affliction, and you just never know where that can lead.

Gun Dog Supply and Lion Country are two quality suppliers. I have used both of them multiple times in the past. I also use Dogs Unlimited for some things(I like their bird bags the best). All have several levels of equipment depending on your training goals, the breed and type of dog and your level of involvement.

If you are going to use a training tool extensively for the next decade...buy the best. If you are going to use it for a few weeks or months on one dog... something serviceable but not the very highest quality or price might be a better value for you.

I train pointers and the two tools I use a great deal are a 20' stiff check cord and a Wonder lead. I actually use a $7 pigging string instead of a $20 Wonder lead, but I am a cheapskate.

RayG

PS -

Keep your eyes open for a used medium sized dog crate. The largest one that has a handle on top. I bought one used, made a raised floor for it out of a sheet of luan, 3/4 X 1" stringers and 1/2" hardware cloth. I cut a hole in the back of the crate large enough to put a1 Qt. bird feeder and a 1 Qt waterer and covered the hole with a piece of luan that I fastened to one end with a screw, nut and washers so I coud swing it open and closed.

It will hold a dozen quail easily, or a half dozen pigeons or chucker. This way you can keep training birds in your garage or shed for several days or more and no one has to know. I have kept a dozen quail in such a crate for over 2 weeks and they flew just fine.

Thanks I appreciate the info...I may need the blue prints on the dog crate bird carrier sounds like a great idea. I do plan on attending any and every dog training I can. I live close to Collier's Mills wma...I hear there are a few there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can offer you some good advice. Be at wawa at 539/70 at 8am Sunday. Come out and see what it’s all about. We are a small groups of guys that get together to train retrievers. You can get an idea of equipment, techniques, etc. If your intersted message me. Chris

Interested got see what's on the calendar first will send message.

Lion country, gun dog supply, collar clinic.

First off what breed of dog are you getting and does it come from “working stock”?

Secondly trying to train any pup for three different disciplines all at once is not advisable especially for a beginner.

You also have to ask yourself what level of dog do you want to produce in each area and at what timeline. Everything starts with basic obedience no matter what, sit stay here heel & come. That has to be rocksolid and that training basically starts immediately. I see you listed a E collar do you understand the concept behind the device? do you plan on collar conditioning the dog? ( answer should be yes) Force fetch? (Answer should be yes) Also what is more important to you having a good duck dog ? having a good upland dog? having a shed dog? having a tracking dog? Each one asks different things of the dog and of the trainer/handler. Like anything in life when you try to do too much too quickly you usually don’t end up with a good finished product. Having a proficient waterfowl dog is going to be the most demanding training out of all of them steadiness, marking, swinging with the gun, delivering to hand, lining, running blinds, hand signals(casting) whistle sits. If you is a solid duck dog that’s a minimum 2-2.5years and that’s under a good trainer with a good training group( and a Lab) For a waterfowl dog essentially you are taking “control” of the dog. It’s not instinctual to run blinds And take hand signals, it’s not instinctual to deliver to hand, not instinctual to be steady. So training a dog to turn off some of it senses and rely on you and then training a dog to use all of it senses and pretty much not rely on you at the same time is extremely contradictory, confusing and most likely frustrating. In all honesty I’m no expert in shed hunting, deer tracking, fur tracking or blood tracking of any kind with a dog. However, I can see how it can be confusing for a dog to figure out what its job is. I assume there’s going to be some audible and or visual cue that goes along with each task that in itself is going to take time to train. I would prioritize what really means the most to you and along with formal obedience focus on that first. I’d imagine the tracking and trailing stuff can be intermingled at some level once the dog is solid on the individual cues. And the upland training isn’t that intensive again depending on what breed. You don’t need an extra special dog to hunt ditch chickens around here. A dog with good prey drive and some natural ability will put plenty of birds in the bag. Depending on what you consider a good waterfowl dog that will be your biggest hurdle. Personally, I think at BARE MINIMUM you need a steady dog that will reliably handle out to 75yds and deliver to hand. Just some things to consider. Also depending on your breed I would join the appropriate club

Couple of items i’d add to your list

4’ lead

100’ lead

British Slip lead

Choke chain

Flat buckle collar with D loop

Crop

Wiffle bat

Dowl

2” bumpers

(6) 3” black & white bumpers

(6) 3” white bumpers

(6) 3” orange bumpers

Couple white buckets

Surveyors tape

Rubber mat

Couple milk crates

Cheap duck calls

Roy Gonia whistle or similar

Lanyard

Dog first aid kit

EMT gel

Items you could probably ditch

GPS Collar

Dummy launcher

Bird launcher

Swampy. I decided on the Deutsch-Drahthaar all around highly regulated breeding parameters, from hunting stock.only sold to active hunter's as well.

Swampy. I decided on the Deutsch-Drahthaar all around highly regulated breeding parameters, from hunting stock.only sold to active hunter's as well.

Swampy has a lot of good info there. And he is correct with training three different areas. There’s a lot of pieces to the puzzle and they have to be installed in the proper order. Keep that in mind. Let me know about the offer when you figure out if you available. Chris

Can't say enough good things about del Val navhda.

Google del Val NAVHDA and see list of items.

You don't need to buy everything up front but the cheapest thing is the dog.

Pointing dogs and used for field and water work.

You get out what you put in.

I love the people and the dogs.

We are just starting soon.

I trained my Britt and will train the next dog I get be it a Brit or a GSP.

www.uglydoghunting.com

Quality stuff, but kind of pricey.  They put out an enjoyable catalog.

Good luck with the new pup! :up:

I personally like Gun Dog Supply, nice people, great customer service. They seem to really value your business, which is pretty rare these days.

I agree with most of the other posters, try not to go too fast or put too much pressure on the dog, it's supposed to be fun (the training and the hunting).

cewoz560

Since your prospective bird dog is still "in the oven" I suggest that instead of focusing on acquiring "stuff" that you get involved with a training group such as NAVHDA or, if you want to focus more on retrieving, NAHRA.  I know there is at least one Navhda group in NJ , may be more.

Gun Dog Supply and Lion Country are two quality suppliers.  I have used both of them multiple times in the past. I also use Dogs Unlimited for some things(I like their bird bags the best).  All have several levels of equipment  depending on your training goals, the breed and type of dog and your level of involvement. 

If you are going to use a training tool extensively for the next decade...buy the best.  If you are going to use it for a few weeks or months on one dog... something serviceable but not the very highest quality or price might be a better value for you. 

I train pointers and the two tools I use a great deal are a 20' stiff check cord and a Wonder lead.  I actually use a  $7 pigging string instead of a $20 Wonder lead, but I am a cheapskate. 

RayG

PS -

Keep your eyes open for a used medium sized dog crate. The largest one that has a handle on top.   I bought one used, made a raised floor for it out of a sheet of luan, 3/4 X 1" stringers and 1/2" hardware cloth.  I cut a hole in the back of the crate large enough to put a1 Qt. bird feeder and a 1 Qt waterer and covered the hole with a piece of luan that I fastened to one end with a screw, nut and washers so I coud swing it open and closed.   

It will hold a dozen quail easily, or a half dozen pigeons or chucker.  This way you can keep training birds in your garage or shed for several days or more and no one has to know.    I have kept a dozen quail in such a crate for over 2 weeks and they flew just fine. 
I love to see your plans on how you built the dog crate as a pigeon shelter/coup.
Sounds like a great idea saves room in my truck

Posted (edited)

cewoz

No need for plans.  Here's how I did it.

You need to make a raised grate for the birds to walk on and poop through.   This needs to be able to come in and out of the crate to be cleaned.

Measure the base of the vari- Kennel...the very bottom which is about 3/4" below the rest.  

Then take a piece of Luan plywood  and cut it to that size minus 1/4".  You can also use thin marine grade plywood, but that stuff is quite expensive.    Test the luan piece for fit by sliding it in through the front opening.  It should slide in if you put it in at an angle and drop down into the very bottom of the crate.  Remember, ou need to be able to take the

Then get some solid wood, about 1/2" thick by 1/2 or 3/4" wide. Cut the wood into strips.  the same length as the short side  of the luan.   Screw the luan  onto the strips with one strip on each end and the remaining strips about 6" apart.  Test fit again and trim if needed. 

Then get some 1/2" hardware cloth, enough to cover the base you just made and nail it on using small staples. 

Now go to the back of the crate and cut out a piece of the crate opposite from the door.  Cut it big enough to put a waterer and feeder through the opening...probably abo9ut 6-7" high by 7-9" wide.  Don't cut all the way down to the lip that joins the top and bottom as doing so would weaken the whole thing.   Make a door out of luan, to cover the  opening with an inch or two extra length.   Position the luan door so that it covers the hole and still can slide up and out of the way.  You will have to round off the one corner  to allow the door to rotate up.  Drill a hole and do a 1/4" nut and bolt with fender washer on both sides.

Done.

If you want to be cute you can install a plywood, L shaped  stop for the closed luan door to rest on.

RayG 

Edited by birddogger
  • Like 1

cewoz
No need for plans.  Here's how I did it.
You need to make a raised grate for the birds to walk on and poop through.   This needs to be able to come in and out of the crate to be cleaned.
Measure the base of the vari- Kennel...the very bottom which is about 3/4" below the rest.  
Then take a piece of Luan plywood  and cut it to that size minus 1/4".  You can also use thin marine grade plywood, but that stuff is quite expensive.    Test the luan piece for fit by sliding it in through the front opening.  It should slide in if you put it in at an angle and drop down into the very bottom of the crate.  Remember, ou need to be able to take the

Then get some solid wood, about 1/2" thick by 1/2 or 3/4" wide. Cut the wood into strips.  the same length as the short side  of the luan.   Screw the luan  onto the strips with one strip on each end and the remaining strips about 6" apart.  Test fit again and trim if needed. 
Then get some 1/2" hardware cloth, enough to cover the base you just made and nail it on using small staples. 

Now go to the back of the crate and cut out a piece of the crate opposite from the door.  Cut it big enough to put a waterer and feeder through the opening...probably abo9ut 6-7" high by 7-9" wide.  Don't cut all the way down to the lip that joins the top and bottom as doing so would weaken the whole thing.   Make a door out of luan, to cover the  opening with an inch or two extra length.   Position the luan door so that it covers the hole and still can slide up and out of the way.  You will have to round off the one corner  to allow the door to rotate up.  Drill a hole and do a 1/4" nut and bolt with fender washer on both sides.
Done.
If you want to be cute you can install a plywood, L shaped  stop for the closed luan door to rest on.

RayG 

Okay sounds interesting and very doable got a picture of the Finish project I'm more of a see'r than instruction taker.

Does anybody have any game bird carriers/crates Etc?