megavites

Fox hunting tips needed

I know we are at the end of the season, but I've had no luck at all. Trying to figure out what I'm missing in my setups.

At this field I've called a fox in before using a borrowed Foxpro 2yrs ago.

I have a Johnny Stewart Max attractor. I've tried rabbit distress, chicken distress (fox have been taking chickens at this place) and barks.

Nothings worked playing the wind....both afternoon and evening sits.

I've gone just inside the woods (other hunter took one in 10mins using Foxpro). I've sat field edge...nothing.

I've tried soft calls 5-10mins....wait 10-15min...then louder call and back to soft. Nothing.

The only thing I can reason is the Johnny stewart is garbage...but it sounds decent?

I'm thinking about the Foxpro Inferno for next season.

Any thoughts?

Posted (edited)

What time of the day are you hunting?

I called in 4 this year and each time they showed up last light.

I use fox pro with a rabbit. I start with rabbit or Groundhog in distress calls. I select these two because they a loude and I am always assuming I am bringing them from a distance. I had success seeing them when calling non-stop and on/off, I really don't believe it makes a difference as long as you can see them coming, so don't relax, get off your cell and keep looking. I make sure I am concealed with only my masked face visible. many times they will sit down on the perimeter and watch for a while before approaching. If they can see you, you will never see them. I set up my speaker and the dancing rabbit as far as the remote lets me and to the side so when he looks at it he can't see me accidently behind it.    

When I do see one, my unit has a one button preprogrammed call and I instantly go to it. Its a mole squeak. I find this call to be irresistible to a fox and I have even turned around a foxes already belling out on me with it.. If I had a choice this is all I would use but the call is very soft and I am sure you couldn't call one from a distance.   

I am not sure what you use and how good are your electronics but in general foxes are easy to call in. Are you invisible or maybe they see you or smell you before you see them?

Edited by Lunatic

mainly afternoon and evening.

I'm hidden and not upwind.

How loud is your rabbit distress?

I'm thinking my electronics are the issue?

Posted (edited)

mainly afternoon and evening.

I'm hidden and not upwind.

How loud is your rabbit distress?

I'm thinking my electronics are the issue?

How loud? I am not sure how to answer it but its loud so you could hear it from 200 yards?

They don't come all the way in for me on this loud call. It gets their attention but then when they approach they get spooked by it. I am sure if you can't turn to a mole or mouse squeak, turning down the rabbit would help.

Edited by Lunatic
  • Agree 1

Brad the Johnny Stewart works or I know used to work. That's what I used years ago. Killed a fare amount of fox with it. Think the set up and how loud you start it off at. Use to set up near briar hole and start with a low volume. I have had them come running it with in seconds before more times than not they would show in the first 5 minutes if not I would move after another 10 or so minutes

• Agree 1

Brad the Johnny Stewart works or I know used to work. That's what I used years ago. Killed a fare amount of fox with it. Think the set up and how loud you start it off at. Use to set up near briar hole and start with a low volume. I have had them come running it with in seconds before more times than not they would show in the first 5 minutes if not I would move after another 10 or so minutes

John, i tried to just that tonight. Low vol...then louder 10mins later.

One may have come in the otherside of a group of trees and bolted because I could smell fresh urine on the walk out.

I'm going to give it another shot.

go to a golf course at night and bait a trap attached to a chain and a grappling hook. in the early morning return and glass the tree line for the fox.

i don't think volume is really your issue , we call in more fox anymore these days just lip squeaking . Are you walking in and starting calling right away ? Or giving it a few to calm down ? Maybe pick up a mojo decoy or something to get their attention off of your caller and help get their sight on something else . I've had fox trip over my feet and attack my mojo decoy . Mole squeaks like said above is fox candy .

we call in more fox anymore these days just lip squeaking .

+1

Forget the electronics.  Buy a squeaky toy for a dog or if you can find one, the Wam Fox Call.

Make sure to yell tally- ho prior to starting the hunt.:)

I use mostly mouse squeaks for Fox. I may start out with a rabbit distress if where I’m hunting is a big area but still I change to mouse squeaks out of my FoxPro Firestorm. I also run a Jack Jr decoy and I can tell you, once they see that thing, they stay focused on it. My main objective is to get them to where they can see the decoy. It seems once they see the decoy, I’ve got them. Main thing to me is to never start off too loud with the caller. Start at very low volume and work your way up slowly over time. And put the decoy at an angle from you. If they see movement past the decoy, they are gone.

Try bread.  We have an older gentleman that deer hunts with us and he baits with bread.  As soon as he puts it out the foxes come running in and eat it all.   :rofl:

That definitely works.

I hunt large farms with large open fields so soft calling does not work. If you know where they are soft is the way to go

go to a golf course at night and bait a trap attached to a chain and a grappling hook. in the early morning return and glass the tree line for the fox.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

i don't think volume is really your issue , we call in more fox anymore these days just lip squeaking . Are you walking in and starting calling right away ? Or giving it a few to calm down ? Maybe pick up a mojo decoy or something to get their attention off of your caller and help get their sight on something else . I've had fox trip over my feet and attack my mojo decoy . Mole squeaks like said above is fox candy .

I know during deer season, once I see one, I can call him right to my tree with lip squeak, it works every single time. 

It sounds like you are going to the same spot every time, trying to shoot the same Fox.

Predator hunting is a numbers game. You need to cover ground and make plenty of setups sometimes before you fund one that wants to play.

Do you keep going to same place over and over ?

Try bread.  We have an older gentleman that deer hunts with us and he baits with bread.  As soon as he puts it out the foxes come running in and eat it all.   :rofl:

White, wheat or gluten free?

No baiting allowed :shock:  :happywave: