BowhunterNJ

Scotch/Scotch Blend Recommendations?

How do you guys even get used to scotch? I've had it more than a dozen times and I feel like I'm drinking poison every time :rofl:

I love it; but you either love it or hate it. My wife cant even stand kissing me when I drink it.

So Saturday is a 40th birthday dinner for a good friend of mine, he likes his scotch and scotch blends. 

Wanted to get him something different but still similar to what he prefers, but I know very little about scotch. 

I can only tell you what he tends to like which are Glenfiddich, Glen Livet, Glenmorangie, and Johnnie Walker.

Any time there is a party (holidays, birthdays, etc)...someone brings a JW Blue Label and it's gone in short order.

I could get him something like a 12/15/18 yr old of the above scotches too to play it safe, but figured I'd ask if anyone here is into scotch.

Any recommendations?

Price I'd like to hang in the $200 and under crowd, but he's a good friend, so I'd splurge another $100 if it was worth the stretch :)

What did you decide?

Johnny walker blue is always a crowd pleaser

Posted (edited)

Johnnie blue is ehhhh for the money, buy DblBlack

Real scotch, Jura, Oban, any Balvenie, Dalmore,Auchentoshan, Talisker, Lagavulin, and my new fav is Bruichladdich (brook laddie) if you can find black arts, it is about 250$ but the most amazing scotch I have tasted to date.

Blends...not my thing

OH and Aberlour is also great

Edited by Chefhunter

What did you decide?

I went with the Balvenie Portwood 21! :up:

Here’s a lineup of a few he got from friends

IMG_9068.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

attachicon.gif IMG_9068.JPG

Very nice. I turn 40 later this year and I will be opening my in house bar on my birthday!

Very nice. I turn 40 later this year and I will be opening my in house bar on my birthday!

Awesome! Show us some pics when you open it! :up:

Awesome! Show us some pics when you open it! :up:

I will be starting a thread on the addition and probably will have a game dinner once it is opened up as long as I fill my Elk tag later this year.

• Agree 1

Would be cool if I could get him a basket of samplers like Jerzguy2 said. A bunch of different ones he could try and see what else he likes without getting a whole bottle.

Here you go.. Just get a bunch and put together a sampler basket. Or if he fishes get a tackle box and fill it up with the sample bottles

https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whisky-samples/scotch/

I will be starting a thread on the addition and probably will have a game dinner once it is opened up as long as I fill my Elk tag later this year.

Sweet! That sounds awesome!

How do you guys even get used to scotch? I've had it more than a dozen times and I feel like I'm drinking poison every time :rofl:

The older and unblended scotches tend to be smoother to drink and therefore more xpensive.  Single malt tends to be smoother than blended scotch and easier to sip, IMO.  Others may have different experiences but I like Glen Livet 12 year,  Glenmorangie.  I can't afford the $100 and up stuff but I have tried it at friends homes and I like it. 

IMG_0716.JPGIMG_0698.JPGIMG_0699.JPG

Stocking up for a winter tasting. Just got back from Scotland....

• Like 3

On 3/11/2018 at 11:53 AM, BowhunterNJ said:

IMG_9068.JPG

You guys want anew friend? :happywave:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those guys who dont like it, theone that turned me was Glenrothes, so smooth, dont gulpthem, sip itand go slow

1 hour ago, Chefhunter said:

For those guys who dont like it, theone that turned me was Glenrothes, so smooth, dont gulpthem, sip itand go slow

After going to Scotland I have an appreciation to sip it and go slow.  I have now deleted ice cubes from the good stuff and replaced it with a dropper.

• Like 1

Some are from the 70’s, from my step father. The Jim Beam stein is1981 and never opened. If anyone is in Bergen County in the near future and want to share a dram, let me know.

2CFA5F85-7192-4084-B87E-DC625BBC4638.jpeg

47B22028-6438-4110-8F6D-89950917DFF9.jpeg

3FFB3E85-8037-408C-9A88-740F35ECC924.jpeg

• Like 1

To me they taste rotten, I just keep the in case someone wants it

9 hours ago, Swamprat said:

All those Johnny Walker's look rotten. Send them south. ;)

• Haha 1

Some are from the 70’s, from my step father. The Jim Beam stein is1981 and never opened. If anyone is in Bergen County in the near future and want to share a dram, let me know.

2CFA5F85-7192-4084-B87E-DC625BBC4638.thumb.jpeg.19635d5c3939a6ec1f42374de8c0b0e0.jpeg
47B22028-6438-4110-8F6D-89950917DFF9.thumb.jpeg.7734039903420d8f30ab47ffe37d1c5f.jpeg
3FFB3E85-8037-408C-9A88-740F35ECC924.thumb.jpeg.434417479233b1814863d4c43adce74f.jpeg

I might take you up on that. As previously mentioned, I am hoping to have a game dinner at my house with a Scotch tasting this fall.... Just need the Elk to cooperate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1