What do you gents prefer as far as wood storage? Is it better to keep it covered with a tarp all year while elevated from ground of course or let it sit uncovered and dry out with the sun during the spring and summer and cover right before winter? What say you? Does it matter?

I built a small wood shed years ago. Got tired of dealing with tarps. Works for me.

Posted (edited)

Covered but only top with all sides exposed. However; I don't cover with tarp. I have a couple of "wood sheds", basically cheap metal posts  driven into the ground and covered with tarp over plywood. Nothing rests on the wood, there is just top cover to protect it from rain.

Edited by Lunatic

Keep it elevated and covered from October until May. Take covers off to dry during the late Spring and Summer. Been doing this for over 40 years.

Thanks guys. Like the wood shed idea. Might have to build one this summer. Tired of dealing with tarps

Thanks guys. Like the wood shed idea. Might have to build one this summer. Tired of dealing with tarps

I agree. I've used tarps and canvas covers but, I only get a few years out of them.

Holzhausens. Uncovered until the deep freeze sets in. Then covered with tarps.

A little rain or snow on well seasoned firewood is just surface moisture and won't really cause burn issues though

Posted (edited)

I stack in a double row 5 feet high, uncovered , on free pallets.  When I start burning I cover 10 feet with a tarp on the end I am using. Just keep moving the tarp down as you go.  You can get the tarps from lumber companies that use them to cover the lumber during transport for free.  You just cover the top.  Works good for me.

Edited by Nomad
  • Agree 3

I let my wood sit on 2x3s on the ground for 2 summers then I move 2 cords worth to my wood shed that I made out of 4x4s for the base and 2x4s for the frame open front and garden lattice on the sides and back,

Some sort of asphalt or rubber ribbed roofing panels for the top. It’s been moved 3 times and has lasted 5 years so far.

• Agree 1

Rusty ain’t gots nothing on the guy I work with that’s his shed he built in the fall

0013AB5A-C9C1-492F-87C7-36EF075B0AE7.jpeg

B26A19A8-5B69-4A22-86A7-9B7B6D29E3A9.jpeg

• Agree 3

I hope you are not going to ruin that club house by putting wood in there...

• Agree 1

I was going to build a nice shed but then cheated and just used the open front GIANT carport the former owner had built. I just keep it off the ground and wrap it around the walls so I still have room to pull something in there like a boat or trailer or tractor one day :)

I just used some cinder blocks I already had, a 2x4x10 cut in half on each side of the rack for supports and two 4x4x8s to rest the wood on.

Pic is a little deceiving being panoramic, it's wider than it appears in the pic.  I can easily run another set of racks on the other side and still have room to park something in there :)

IMG_8898.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 2