IGNORED

GPS DOG COLLAR TRACKING SYSTEMS

I currently use an e-collar with a beeper and it works fine except some instances when my GSP ranges way out and goes on point.

The beeper starts but depending on where she is, down in a low area or behind a small hill and with a wind blowing and my hearing not that great I many times have difficulty locating her.

And she stays steady on point with the beeper going off in her ear until I find her. Doesn't happen often but enough to having me consider going the GPS route.

I am considering the Garmin Alpha 100 + TT15 or the SportDog TEK 2.0LT because they also have the e-collar functionality.

So, opinions from those of you who use either of those or just a plain GPS would be appreciated.

And I would be interested in which one are you using and your likes and dislikes or problems with it.

Thank you

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I have one, I like it, I hunt in warm season grass that is very high and down in south Jersey in the pines where my GSP gets out 125 yards on each side of me.  Buzzes when she's on point, compass setting takes you right to her.  Dislikes, for some reason I can't get the e-collar (shocker) to work and when I set it on compass and put it in my pocket it cycles off compass and then I need to put my readers on to get it back on compass.  I wouldn't hunt W/O it.

Thank you, which one do you have ? I'm leaning towards the Garmin based on a conversation with a person at Collar Clinic.

Alpha 100. no contest. Does it all except shoot the gun for you, and can be as simple as you want it to be. Not cheap, but a worthwhile investment if your dog ranges big (mine does).

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Thanks. The Alpha is the one I'm going to go with. Now to decide on the TT15 or TT15 Mini. She weighs 51 lbs and has a size 15 neck.  RIck at Collar Clinic said that the Mini on my GSP would be fine and the larger TT15 wasn't necessary as distances where I hunt are not a concern. But I'm concerned that it may rotate so I think I'll talk with them again and most likely get the regular size.

I use the Garmin 430 unit with either the T5 mini or the standard T5(I have both).   It is a straight up GPS only system.  

I do field trials and e-collars are not allowed during competitions, so the Alpha is not an option.  The collars are virtually the same size and weight, , but the receiver is different.

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between the T5 and the T5 mini as far as functionality is concerned, but both my units have the long antennas.

Never used a sport tek and I do not know a single field trailer that does, if that means anything to you.

If you are only interested in GPS...check out a used Garmin 320 with a DC 40 collar.  Might save you a few hundred dollars and give you all the functionality you need. 

For training purposes, I very much prefer a separate e-collar because I don't have to take my eyes off the dog  to look at a screen and figure out which button to push.

RayG

I was considering the same things.  I have the Garmin PRO 550 with no beeper.  My dogs typically don't range too far but sometimes the stuff we hunt gets pretty thick and I lose track of one for a moment and the next thing I know she's on point and can't be found unless I use a corrective tone.  I was leaning toward the Alpha 100 + TT15 and now it looks like I'll be going that route.

Birddogger, Thank you, I don't run trials and understand what you said about saving some money but I don't want 2 collars and then 2 handhelds to contend with while hunting.

Intergracingsr, Been checking this out for a couple of months and think I'm gonna order the Alpha 100 + TT15 today.

Guys, I appreciate your responses and here is another neat site if you don't already visit it:  http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com