IGNORED

Wireless fence systems?

Now that we're settled into our new place our dog has become too comfortable on the property.  When we first moved in I could let him out in the yard and he'd stick close to the house and roam the woods around the edges or walk along the stone row between my property and the neighbor's field.  Both of my neighbors have 100+ acres each and could care less if he wanders, but today I caught him on the property between ours and the county road after wandering off while I was clearing brush in the back.  These folks have chickens which they free-range (luckily they were not out) and he was also very close to a 50 MPH road.  Obviously a wired fence would be the best solution, but doing the entire property would be pricey/logistically difficult.  I guess I could confine him to a small area with a wired fence so that when hes on his own he could wear the collar and know that he could only go so far.  That said I have been seeing more and more wireless systems.  I'd be curious to hear from folks here who are using them and how well they work.  I'd also like to hear about what your terrain is like-a lot of the systems I've seen say that their performance degrades in the presence of uneven terrain and metal structures-we've got all of that here between sloped land, wire fence, metal gates, metal barn roofs, etc...

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

I put the wireless set up around a standard urban lot. One thing I can say is he will not cross that line with or with out the collar with out command to do so. Once they learn the boundary that will be it. 

Bubba only goes across when we go for walks. So he will have his walking set up on and at the line I will have him sit, I cross it then tell him to come. And believe me he knows where that line is.

At first I had the unit inside set up to close to duct work inside and bugged the collar out. Moved the unit away from the duct and it has been fine for 2 years now.

I have an electric fence for my 3 dogs, 2 American Bulldogs and a pocket pit and they learned very fast not to go past the lines. One night they were 15 feet from a bear and they were going nuts and still wouldn't cross the line and that's when I believed how good it works. I had mine installed by the dog fence guy. He is out of PA but does all of jersey to I believe and his prices start at up to 1 acre it's $500 with a collar.

Just a suggestion you could get an e-collar and manually train him where the line is? It all depends on if you go out with the dog or keeps eyes on him when he's out. A good one prob $300-500 but if that guy in PA does an acre for $500...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can boundary train a dog to not go anywhere.  Fancy collars aren't usually needed. People do it to keep dogs on their property, out of certain rooms, off of furniture, etc.  My dogs know my property lines and don't cross them.  It takes a little time, but I never have to worry about them leaving the land or chasing anyone or anything.  When it's time for them to go to the bathroom, I just open the door and let them out. They come home when they're done

I have a GSP who when I am in the yard started roaming around while I am doing things and her curiosity had me finding her at our neighbors yard thru the woods. My property is 1 ½ acres with lawn and natural wooded areas but people fly down our rural road so I was concerned. Like you I researched various systems and options and decided that a smaller area than the entire property was not only cost justifiable but since I run her regularly it wasn't confining.Now I can open the door and let her out or have her out with me and not worry. And my wife feels better when she is home alone with her to let her out. I bought this system http://www.gundogsupply.com/sd-in-ground-fence-system.html and installed it myself.  It is irregularly shaped and follows various features of our home and yard. She learned the boundaries amazingly fast and stays within them. It is easy to install and one of the features is that it uses a regular 9 volt battery in the collar not one that you have to buy from the supplier of the system they install.  My neighbor had a system installed covering about 3 acres on his farm which was costly but does work. Hope this helps and if I can be of any assistance PM me and I'll give you my number and we can talk.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I have a GSP who when I am in the yard started roaming around while I am doing things and her curiosity had me finding her at our neighbors yard thru the woods. My property is 1 ½ acres with lawn and natural wooded areas but people fly down our rural road so I was concerned. Like you I researched various systems and options and decided that a smaller area than the entire property was not only cost justifiable but since I run her regularly it wasn't confining.Now I can open the door and let her out or have her out with me and not worry. And my wife feels better when she is home alone with her to let her out. I bought this system http://www.gundogsupply.com/sd-in-ground-fence-system.html and installed it myself.  It is irregularly shaped and follows various features of our home and yard. She learned the boundaries amazingly fast and stays within them. It is easy to install and one of the features is that it uses a regular 9 volt battery in the collar not one that you have to buy from the supplier of the system they install.  My neighbor had a system installed covering about 3 acres on his farm which was costly but does work. Hope this helps and if I can be of any assistance PM me and I'll give you my number and we can talk.

I looked at that system and thought it seemed pretty squared away as compared to others.  Glad to know its working out for you-I think I may order it this week.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Use a square spade to make a 2" to 3" slot in the ground. Now would be a good time as its wet and soft. Lay the wire in the slot and use a paint stick stirrer to push the wire down.  Not hard to do at all.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Another neat deal with Invisible Fence, is when we go on vacation, my brother, who has like 4-5 setters, watches our Maggie, and her collar is programmed to his yard also, so she has a blast w her cousins and stays safe in their yard as well.