IGNORED

Deer Feeder Suggestions - Drainage

buckfever1974

I built a handful of gravity deer feeders a bunch of years back and have met with mixed results because the set-up is a capped PVC pipe with a "mouse hole" cut at the bottom so it flows out as they eat.  I hadn't used them in quite some time but when I did this year, I ran into issues of the corn "turning foul" because of the contact with the ground. The critters pulling the corn out even made it more of an issue.  

Does anyone have a designs or ideas on what feeders can be built at home that have worked for you?

A simple solution is to rest the tube on some kind of tray and drill a couple of small holes in it for drainage. This way the corn will not be in contact with soil or sit in water.

I had once a 50 gal drum as a gravity feeder, with several mouse holes around it, resting on a plastic water heater tray. It work great.

I run two different types of feeders that I make out of pvc. The gravity feeder is 6” drain pipe with a 6”x4” reducer to a 4” 90. I haven’t run into any “fouling” of the corn however the deer/bear/squirrels/turkey go through the corn within a couple days.

The other feeder is a 4” cap with an eye bolt through it and a small section of 4” pipe to a t wye with a cleanout cap for filling the feeder. I then use a 6”x4” reducer to a 4’ piece of 6” drainage pipe and capped at the end. Use a 2” whole saw to cut a whole in the center of the cap. Order a Moultrie MFHP12367 motor from amazon mounts right over the 2” whole and you now have a programmable feeder with up to 6 start times.

9E935009-3C6A-4AFD-B297-AD383C7D0989.png

5FB77AA9-E736-4A39-9DEC-1539A223E82C.jpeg