IGNORED

NJ DEP to Close rockport pheasant farm

joshpio

NJ's Pequest trout hatchery was the pride of the state run hatcheries all over the country  

I find talking about stocked trout and stocked pheasants a lot alike. Yes I fish and hunt for both, but I far prefer hunting and fishing for their wild cousins instead.  We should be more focused on native habitat for grouse and woodcock as well as our native brook trout plus our wild brown and rainbow trout and worry less about the put and take trout and pheasants.   

NJ was and Is By far the Pide of the state-run Hatcheries. I draw your attention to once again Alaska that I have been going to for almost some 45 years there programs and Science is and has been light years ahead of Not Only NJ. They not only Raise and Manage their Fishery but their science is used by others. 

IMO they a huge advantage It is Called Funding, Positions not filled with Politicians and Hacks. Not to leave out they are dependant on doing it Right for the Outside Sports Man- Woman.  One time I mention in NJ they use Jaw tags that met with Laughter and Bewilderment. There Hatchery is Secured not open to the Public I was allowed into one to The laboratory, not the Rearing and Raising areas. 

Again not like Nj they keep an Iron Fist of controls on both Fresh and Salt Water Fishing Sport - Subsistence and Commercial,

There Wardens have the same powers as their State Police. 

I totally agree on Native Bird and Fishing is by far Better but IMO is History in NJ. Lack of wild habitat Funding  Mismanagement of introducing Species to Compete 

Yes, Remove Dams put in native Plantings. But NJ waterways are still Polluted. Subjected to Urban Development. 

Yes, you are involved and want to protect and improve natural Habitats since you have a Vested interest in it all.  But to be fair there are more Failures and Natural  Disasters against most success.  I point to the many bodies of waters were Stocking is Canceled or Discontinued Even Condemned over recent Years.

Not looking for a back and forth just posting what I have seen in over 65 years of Hunting and Fishing native and Stocked in NJ and How most has been Lost 

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Once the raceways are covered and birds of prey cannot get in, and assuming they can properly cleanse the disease out of the system, they can state bringing in new strains of brown trout and brook trout for rearing.  

Millions of dollars for covers?  Doesn't anyone have a shotgun and #6 shot?   Is there no common sense anymore? lol

Edited by Nomad

Millions of dollars for covers?  Doesn't anyone have a shotgun and #6 shot?   Is there no common sense anymore? lol

I can just see, state workers shooting egrets, herons, eagles and osprey to protect farm raised fish,

I don't think this would work although I give you one thing, it would be cheaper.

I can just see, state workers shooting egrets, herons, eagles and osprey to protect farm raised fish,

I don't think this would work although I give you one thing, it would be cheaper.

You should try meditation.  I can see it very clearly in my mind. :thumb_up:

How is it cheaper for NJ to buy birds from private breeders? I honestly don't know. Is it labor costs to run Rockaport?

Just about anything the government does is much more expensive than private sector. When you have no competition, and you don't have to turn profit you simply don't run efficiently because it is easier to do it slower with more rather than faster with less. Then consider state worker's salary and benefits and you will quickly realize it has to be more expensive to do it in house.

Just about anything the government does is much more expensive than private sector. When you have no competition, and you don't have to turn profit you simply don't run efficiently because it is easier to do it slower with more rather than faster with less. Then consider state worker's salary and benefits and you will quickly realize it has to be more expensive to do it in house.

You are probably right, but a private swim club is more expensive than a public pool. We shall see.

You are probably right, but a private swim club is more expensive than a public pool. We shall see.

It is less expensive because it is subsidized by the taxpayer.

I have a twp ice rink by me. We rent it and the price is considerably less than any of the private rink in this state. This rink is about 40 years old and never made any money, its a loser from the day it opened.

Also public pools have more piss in it :happywave: