IGNORED

How can NJDFW Improve Pheasant Hunting

trader979

The State does an OUTSTANDING job on it's Pheasant Program. Compare it to our surrounding States, honestly they win hands down, and I do a lot of upland hunting in Pa. . Take away the released pheasants and there's not much reason to own a bird dog. The grouse in NJ are almost extinct and Pa. has shown a drastic decline leaving only the woodcock as a viable option. If you want to hunt pheasants east of the Mississippi there are not a lot of options.

To answer the OP question,

I would like to see more "different" areas being stocked .

Have the releases extend into a later season.

Increase grassland habitat on some of the WMA's .

Desinate a few Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas, after a population is established, limited permit hunting only. This can be done, but it'll take a different mindset and a lot of volunteer work. "Pheasants Forever".

Releases should be based on quality of habitat.

Recrute volunteers to help with releasing birds so birds can be spread out to farther corners of the larger WMA's .

Involve youth with the importance of quality habitat for upland birds grouse/quail/pheasants/woodcock.

Fish and Game get more involved and help start Chapters for Ruff Grouse Society, Pheasants Forever, Woodcock Limited,.

Again...with the funds they have available I think they do a great job!

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

Just wanted to get everyone thoughts on how our pheasant hunting experience can be improved. Overall, i think the Division does a pretty good job on the frequency and amount of birds stocked. Knowing that sustaining a wild population is out of the question and unannounced stocking days would probably result in a number of birds lost to predators, what else can be done? Like many, I avoid the morning stocking days for fear of getting shot. Should the stocking season be extended past December 31st on certain and/or all WMAs? Should more fields be established on our larger WMAs? Should we allow hunting on Sundays? While I’d pay more for a stamp I don’t think raising the price would be a great idea. Just some thoughts.

Purchase more land to distribute the amount of hunters

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

To many owls, hawks, fox =no pheasant.   There is plenty of good habitat.

Desinate a few Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas, after a population is established, limited permit hunting only. This can be done, but it'll take a different mindset and a lot of volunteer work. "Pheasants Forever".

Are the hawks, owls and fox on board with this plan? Their overabundance will wipe out any efforts.

Edited by Nomad

To many owls, hawks, fox =no pheasant. There is plenty of good habitat.

Are the hawks, owls and fox on board with this plan? Their overabundance will wipe out any efforts.

Very true i come across numerous pheasents with there heads missing owl carnage coiller mill's

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

The Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in Pennsylvania that have the right habitat have been successful . The key is to use WILD birds from trap n transfer, not pen raised birds, and of course the right nesting cover. I'll be leaving shortly to participate in a Flushing Survey conducted by the PGC today. We even held a limited Youth Hunt for WILD pheasants this year.

Edited by FLDBRED-BDC

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

The Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in Pennsylvania that have the right habitat have been successful . The key is to use WILD birds from trap n transfer, not pen raised birds, and of course the right nesting cover. I'll be leaving shortly to participate in a Flushing Survey conducted by the PGC today. We even held a limited Youth Hunt for WILD pheasants this year.

I would think if they dedicated the money to reestablish wild Pheasant population, instead of raising farm birds, they would have to succeed.

"Recruit volunteers to help with releasing birds so birds can be spread out to farther corners of the larger WMA's ."

​Unfortunately some of those workers that stock the fields are lazy and just dump the birds in predetermined areas on the WMA. If you put a volunteer or two on the truck they can release birds as the vehicle drives through the WMA. Many times guys would hunt certain fields in the Quail area because they saw where the driver stopped the truck got out and released the birds.

"Recruit volunteers to help with releasing birds so birds can be spread out to farther corners of the larger WMA's ."

​Unfortunately some of those workers that stock the fields are lazy and just dump the birds in predetermined areas on the WMA. If you put a volunteer or two on the truck they can release birds as the vehicle drives through the WMA. Many times guys would hunt certain fields in the Quail area because they saw where the driver stopped the truck got out and released the birds.

Maybe better idea is to make the workers do it right, since they are already on the payroll. But I do get your point.

owl carnage coiller mill's

I think Owls have done more than most other predators and it started 15 years ago where I hunted in freehold the Rabbit population Grouse few pheasant was big and as the Owls moved in they disappeared.    Not to Leave out The Hawks.  

Had a Wild Dog problem but that was solved along with Feral Cats. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

My pal flushed wild pheasants in Lyndhurst last wk, the habitat on WMAs needs to be more like up near meadowlands to be suitable for pheasants, large field type cover, which is i say stop the farmers from using our fields and let the fields grow into early successional habitat, thereby doubling the size of huntable habitat on some WMAs

Edited by Bonefreak