IGNORED

Recreating an Antler from Scratch

Rusty

Step 1 of making a matching antler for our daughter's buck is complete, I got the antler framed out. Now it's time to start adding the epoxy.

I know Rocky, Jay, and the other taxidermists are shaking their heads right now but I'm having fun. :rofl:

And for the guys that have offered antlers that might be a good match, I'm still gonna take you up on it. This is probably gonna be an epic fail.

Antler.jpeg

Update: The first layer of epoxy, to establish the overall shape, has been applied. A finishing layer of epoxy will go over this to clean it up and add detail.

Antler 3.jpeg

Sinner!

AWM

There is one thing that will help with adding girth and character....paper mache!

The kids in your class could take turns making and improving antler designs.  Pick the best one from the class and use those on the mount.

I'm surprised you didn't realize this.  You have a bunch of underage children that the state is paying you to put to work with their parents' approval.  Duh!  Put them to work!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

There is one thing that will help with adding girth and character....paper mache!

The kids in your class could take turns making and improving antler designs.  Pick the best one from the class and use those on the mount.

I'm surprised you didn't realize this.  You have a bunch of underage children that the state is paying you to put to work with their parents' approval.  Duh!  Put them to work!

Our advanced sculpture class may or may not be working on replicating antlers.  I have no idea because that would be unprofessional.   :lookaround:  

Remember antlers are not round and smooth. I suggest that it would be a good idea to study a real antler up close in good light. They have vein lines, scratch marks, and other imperfections. If you don't add these it makes coloring difficult and the antler won't look real. Good luck.

Remember antlers are not round and smooth. I suggest that it would be a good idea to study a real antler up close in good light. They have vein lines, scratch marks, and other imperfections. If you don't add these it makes coloring difficult and the antler won't look real. Good luck.

You are absolutely right Rocky.   :up:  :up:

For the finishing layer of epoxy I'm going to do one section at a time, very slowly.  Once the epoxy has set for an hour I'm going to attempt to copy the details from the other antler using carving tools.