IGNORED

Gluten Free / Exercise

Thunderchicken

My wife for the last 6-8 months has been on a gluten free type of diet/life style.  She says she feels much better. Is anybody else on here do the same for health reasons or general diet? I've been out hiking looking for sheds and been out on my road bike. Trying to shed that extra weight I put on thru fall/winter time. What's everybody doing?

Edited by Thunderchicken

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

I try not to drink my calories, I drink a lot of water and black coffee.

I do 20 minutes of exercise 5-6 times each week.  Nothing complicated, just push-ups and dumbells at home.

We walk an hour each day with the dog.

My biggest downfall is eating ice-cream at night while watching tv.  

My wife for the last 6-8 months has been on a gluten free type of diet/life style.  She says she feels much better. Is anybody else on here do the same for health reasons or general diet? I've been out hiking looking for sheds and been out on my road bike. Trying to shed that extra weight I put on thru fall/winter time. What's everybody doing?

Almost three years ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. So, I had to change my entire diet literally overnight to a gluten free diet. It was tough to say the least. So now I've learned to cook gluten free for myself and I cook regular food for my wife and my kids. I wasn't forcing them to eat it unless they requested it. I very rarely eat out at restaurants because, I don't trust them when they cook gluten free food along side of regular food. Overall, I do feel better.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

For what it is worth all the research shows that unless you actually have Celiac going gluten free does nothing because there is no such thing as "gluten sensitivity". Do I believe the research? Hard to say but I'm getting ready to do an elimination diet myself and gluten will certainly be one of the things I eliminate and then slowly add back after several weeks. I believe the real issue to be refined sugars. 

I also try to do intermittent fasting (IF). Typically I aim for 2-3 days a week where I stop eating at 2-3pm and do not eat until near lunch the next day. Most of the research says between 16-24 hours is the sweet spot where you are burning a lot more fat and also going through a process called autophagy which is a bodily response to stress, a good process, that helps kill off misfolded proteins, damaged organelles, etc.

I do 20 minutes of exercise 5-6 times each week.  Nothing complicated, just push-ups and dumbells at home.

You forgot to put in the veggie burger now and then  :rofl:

Eliminate sugar in your diet, most people are addicted and can't, and reduce your intake of carbs to minimum. You will lose weight and feel much better. Low carb diet is low Gluten diet anyway,

For exercise I play hockey 2 to 3 times/week. It doesn't even feel like exercise but the workout is 100x more intense than anything else you could do on your own.

Edited by Lunatic

Almost three years ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. So, I had to change my entire diet literally overnight to a gluten free diet. It was tough to say the least. So now I've learned to cook gluten free for myself and I cook regular food for my wife and my kids. I wasn't forcing them to eat it unless they requested it. I very rarely eat out at restaurants because, I don't trust them when they cook gluten free food along side of regular food. Overall, I do feel better.

My wife has it for 20 years. It wasn't that easy 20 or even 10 years ago. She was limited to health food stores and some very high prices for some very horrible food. Now every store sells Gluten free food and for the most part is good.  

As you know by now, almost everything you buy has gluten in it. Forget restaurants, they don't gave a dish without gluten

Like you I drink water only. One can of coke is like eating 10 TSP of sugar. Juice isn't much better. Water, water and water.........

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and have to eat Gluten Free.  There is no science to a benefit of eating GF if you don't have Celiac.  In fact, most the GF alternative foods are stuffed with sugars and carbs.  

However, if you stay away from GF alternatives, a GF diet is very similar to a low carb diet.  I actually put on weight when I had to go GF because I was always eating those GF breads, crackers, pizza, etc. which are loaded with sugars and highly processed. 

I went on a low carb diet (which in a lot of ways is just a low sugar diet).  I didn't eat GF alternatives, just stayed away from items that have gluten like breads, pastas, etc.  I lost significant weight and it was honestly pretty easy.  By staying away from sugars and non-fiber carbs, I am much less hungry and don't find myself "starving" come dinner time.  

Gluten is a highly inflammatory protein.  You don't need to be diagnosed with celiac disease to see health benefits from eliminating it from your diet.  Human beings haven't really evolved to digest grains in general, particularly in a lightly processed form.  Same goes for dairy.  Most cultures that consumed grains and/or dairy would soak and sprout the grains, and/or ferment them before consuming them.  Again, same for the dairy.  Fermented dairy.  The lactobacillus bacteria that ferments these things , basically digests the gluten and other lectins out of the wheat, making it safe for human consumption.  Lectins are literally anti-nutrients that grain plants contain that actually prevent you from digesting and absorbing nutrients.  It's a grain plant's way of "defending" itself from being consumed.  Except human beings are too stupid to realize that eating the grains actually makes them sick.  

Long story short, don't eat it

Also, as was mentioned... always steer clear of the sugar.  A little honey, molasses or real maple syrup from time to time is a fantastic alternative, but avoid white sugar, brown sugar and processed sugar of any kind. 

I've done the low carb thing off and on during the past 8 years and it doesn't work for my lifestyle.  I get my carbs from tubers like potatoes and sweet potatoes, as well as fruit.  I pretty much avoid grains 99.9% of the time, except for the occasional white rice or wild rice.  

Edited by not on the rug

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and have to eat Gluten Free.  There is no science to a benefit of eating GF if you don't have Celiac.  In fact, most the GF alternative foods are stuffed with sugars and carbs.  

However, if you stay away from GF alternatives, a GF diet is very similar to a low carb diet.  I actually put on weight when I had to go GF because I was always eating those GF breads, crackers, pizza, etc. which are loaded with sugars and highly processed. 

I went on a low carb diet (which in a lot of ways is just a low sugar diet).  I didn't eat GF alternatives, just stayed away from items that have gluten like breads, pastas, etc.  I lost significant weight and it was honestly pretty easy.  By staying away from sugars and non-fiber carbs, I am much less hungry and don't find myself "starving" come dinner time.  

Agree 100%. I have been on low carb diet for over 20 years. I eat no bread or any flour products including pasta and I don't eat any sugar. My plate is mainly protein and vegies with occasional starch like in potato. My doctor tells me my cholesterol is of a 16 year old kid, (my good cholesterol is at 69).

Edited by Lunatic

Like you I drink water only. One can of coke is like eating 10 TSP of sugar. Juice isn't much better. Water, water and water.........

I drink between 1.5-2 gallons of water daily. At dinner time once in a while I'll have a diet coke or beer  but normally with dinner I will have flavored seltzer (I only buy brands that do not use sodium). 

Black coffee is the only way to drink coffee.... 

I love ice cream myself but stay away from it for the most part. If I decide to have any I will go for an Enlightened or Halo Top.