How are the preparations for the elk hunt going?

If we’re going to live vicariously through you on your elk hunt Matty we need periodic updates.  :) 

Edited by Rufous
  • Agree 1

I haven't seen him on here for sometime......MIA, I hope all is well with him

Still alive.  24 pounds lighter (which isn't nearly enough considering I started out in the absolute worst shape of my life....lol) and still gathering and testing gear for Idaho.

In fact, I just slept in my new hammock the other night....yup, I'll be hammock camping in the mountains of Idaho. It isn't nearly as cheap as tent camping (for cold weather hammocking), but the comfort level and ability to camp anywhere there are two trees is worth all the extra $$$.

I honestly slept better in my hammock than I do in my bed.

Still have some more gear to purchase and need to turn up the efforts for getting in shape. Gotta start breaking in my new boots too.

Can't wait...49 days and counting.

I hope to get a quick NJ Whitetail warmup here before we leave....and then just a few days later be chasing elk at 8,000-11,000 feet. We have a new location that Dan has been scouting out and he sent some pics of rubs, wallows and other sign just yesterday. Looking at the lay of the land in the pictures, this isn't going to be any kind of picnic!

My goal went from "kill a respectable bull elk", to "just don't die".

:crazylol:

• Agree 1

"My goal went from "kill a respectable bull elk", to "just don't die"."....lol  :up:

Good luck to you with your workouts and on your hunt.  Stay safe and be safe doing both..

Yoooooooooooooooooooo there he is! Awesome man, great job on the weight loss and good luck out west, can't wait to see some pics and read the story! :up:

Thanks guys!

I'll do my best to share some pictures and stories with you all when I can.

My name is Matt, but Matty is also a Matt(y).         

OOOOOhhhh.. :doh2: ..   gotcha..

The scenery, weather, people (or lack thereof), and other wildlife out there is just amazing.  Killing an elk is the icing on the cake.   Good luck.

No guide Gruntmaster. This will be a "DIY" hunt with my brother and friends. One of our friends lives out in Idaho, so we are fortunate enough to have him help scout for us.

Of course, he's going to be hunting for a couple weeks before we ever even get there, so hopefully he saves some big bulls for us. LOL

Good luck out there. Enjoy every minute of your trip. I've never been out that way but I've heard it's awesome. Some hunters go a whole lifetime without experiencing a hunt like that. Can't wait to see pics!

Good luck out there. Enjoy every minute of your trip. I've never been out that way but I've heard it's awesome. Some hunters go a whole lifetime without experiencing a hunt like that. Can't wait to see pics!

My name is Matt, but Matty is also a Matt(y).

There can only be one Matty!   Good luck on the trip.

Good luck Matty. :up: Glad to hear your feeling better.

Edited by bill43