IGNORED

Gun Law Help

Since he is not old enough to buy it he would have to borrow it from someone.

For the record I'm just passing this on because I always thought it was funny.  This is what it use to read in the NJSP firearms FAQ's.  I can no longer find it on the NJSP website, but did copy and paste it from Jefferson Township PD, New Jersey.  I am by no means answering anyone's question by posting this.  When in doubt contact NJSP.

In NJ, you may borrow a gun for hunting from the owner of that weapon for a period of no more than 8 consecutive hours in a 24 hour period; however, you must not be restricted by any of the requirements that would prohibit you from purchasing a weapon yourself, and the weapon's owner must remain in close proximity to you and the weapon at all times.

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing: 

For the record I'm just passing this on because I always thought it was funny.  This is what it use to read in the NJSP firearms FAQ's.  I can no longer find it on the NJSP website, but did copy and paste it from Jefferson Township PD, New Jersey.  I am by no means answering anyone's question by posting this.  When in doubt contact NJSP.

In NJ, you may borrow a gun for hunting from the owner of that weapon for a period of no more than 8 consecutive hours in a 24 hour period; however, you must not be restricted by any of the requirements that would prohibit you from purchasing a weapon yourself, and the weapon's owner must remain in close proximity to you and the weapon at all times.

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing: 

Yup - they are merely summarizing NJ statute 2C:58-3.1, which contains all those points above:

2C :58-3.1.  Temporary transfer of firearms

1.   ...

b.   Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer and disposition of firearms, a legal owner of a shotgun or a rifle may temporarily transfer that firearm to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card. The person to whom a shotgun or rifle is temporarily transferred by the legal owner may receive, possess, carry and use that shotgun or rifle in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purposes of hunting if the transfer is made in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State, the shotgun or rifle is legal and appropriate for hunting and the person to whom the firearm is temporarily transferred possesses a valid license to hunt with a firearm, and a valid rifle permit if the firearm is a rifle, obtained in accordance with the provisions of chapter 3 of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes.

The transfer of a firearm under this subsection shall be for not more than eight consecutive hours in any 24-hour period and no fee shall be charged for the transfer.

The legal owner of the firearm which is temporarily transferred shall remain in the actual presence or in the vicinity of the person to whom it was transferred during the entire time that the firearm is in that person's possession.

The term "legal owner" as used in this subsection means a natural person and does not include an organization, commercial enterprise, or a licensed manufacturer, wholesaler or dealer of firearms.

d.   An owner or dealer shall not transfer a firearm to any person pursuant to the provisions of this section if the owner or dealer knows the person does not meet the qualifications set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3 for obtaining or holding a firearms purchaser identification card or a handgun purchase permit.  A person shall not receive, possess, carry or use a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this section if the person knows he does not meet the qualifications set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3 for obtaining or holding a firearms purchaser identification card or a handgun purchase permit.

Edited by mazzgolf

I called the state police firearms unit today a detective told me a minor cannot transport a firearm in a vehicle

And the transfer is only allowed in the field for no more then 8 hours

The laws are very confusing but I didn't see Liberal NJ allowing A minor to transport a firearm.

and at 17 I drove and yes brought fire arms shooting and hunting and was pulled over by a couple different officers. The only question that was ever asked that I was given a hard time over was conning back from a range with multiple shot guns and 22s. The officer called my father and made sure he new I had that many at the time ad they were my father's guns.

yeah man i did the same thing just never got pulled over.........my dad "bought" me a shotgun for christmas as a minor...but i guess that's a bit different from "buying" a gun for someone not you son or daughter.

I guess it all boils down to if you get pulled over or not and by who, apparently you're allowed to transport a firearm from home to range/hunting and back home without an FID in possession as long as you have a valid hunting license with you. If the cop keeps digging and digging with questions if for some reason you get stopped going and coming i guess you can run into problems. If you inherited guns, or were from out of state and bought guns legally and used those guns you wouldn't have an FID.......if you borrowed someone's long gun and went to and from hunting/range you could probably just say it's yours if you get stopped and show a hunting license and be OK LOL 

Doing my taxes is more enjoyable then figuring out NJ gun laws.  And, if I screw up my taxes (in good faith), I just pay a penalty.  If I screw up (in good faith) interpreting NJ's byzantine gun regs, I could go to jail and lose my ability to earn an income after I get out.  

I called the state police firearms unit today a detective told me a minor cannot transport a firearm in a vehicle

And the transfer is only allowed in the field for no more then 8 hours

The laws are very confusing but I didn't see Liberal NJ allowing A minor to transport a firearm.

did you tell him the said minor was going hunting or to a wma for practice. That is 2 of the exceptions.

Yes for hunting with a valid license

He said no a minor can not transport a firearm

And the firearm has to lent to him or her in the field

They can not have possession of it outside hunting or target practice

And for no more then 8 hrs