IGNORED

Gun Law Help

Definitely depends on who you’re dealing with (LEO wise). When I was 17 I got into a crash out in warren county. Troopers showed up, saw I had a gun in the car (coming back from hunting, gun in my dad’s name) and asked for my hunting license. They said I was good to go because the hunting license allows me to possess a firearm (registered legally to whomever) when I’m going to/from hunting. As for keeping at your relatives house, that’s up to you. We’ve bought family members guns for their 17th with no problems but if you want to get all technical then you’re opening up Pandora’s box.

I agree that a minor 14 and above can hunt unsupervised but you still need a fid card to transport the firearm in a vehicle

a 14 year old can ride their bike with a fire arm to and from hunting spot. If he is in a vehicle getting dropped off hunting or picked up his hunting license is the exception to needing a fid Edited by vdep217

A minor can't legally transport s firearm in a vehicle by themselves

They can't legally own a firearm

A unsupervised minor 14 and over was created so dad or mom can sit in a different tree or hunt on their own property a 17 year old kid can't transport a firearm in their vehicle alone. Now I'm sure discretion would be used by LEO but if it was brought to trial the argument would be,

You can't legally transport a firearm if you can't legally own one

Many people have hunting license that cant get a fidc, hunting license don't cover you while transporting in a vehicle.

If you give a minor a gun and they get hurt or hurt someone else who do you think will be held responsible?

You will be under child endangerment.

I'm not saying don't take kids hunting just make sure they're capable and your comfortable they can handle a firearm safely.

I wouldn't let any firearm in my name out of my house without me.

Edited by Bones

A unsupervised minor 14 and over was created so dad or mom can sit in a different tree or hunt on their own property a 17 year old kid can't transport a firearm in their vehicle alone. Now I'm sure discretion would be used by LEO but if it was brought to trial the argument would be,

Many people have hunting license that cant get a fidc, hunting license don't cover you while transporting in a vehicle.

If you give a minor a gun and they get hurt or hurt someone else who do you think will be held responsible?

I'm not saying don't take kids hunting just make sure they're capable and your comfortable they can handle a firearm safely.

yes you can there are exceptions. If a gun was willed to you, or you purchased while living in another state. There are exceptions that designate for transportation to and from hunting or range. As for saying that the law is for a parent sitting in another tree is not correct. A 14 year old cam absolutely hunt a wma by getting dropped off or riding a bike.

and at 17 I drove and yes brought fire arms shooting and hunting and was pulled over by a couple different officers. The only question that was ever asked that I was given a hard time over was conning back from a range with multiple shot guns and 22s. The officer called my father and made sure he new I had that many at the time ad they were my father's guns.

Not to be an ahole but about 100% of what you said is incorrect. A hunting license for a minor acts, in a large way, as an FID when it comes to terms of possessing and transporting a firearm to/from hunting. By your logic, every high school kid in the state is breaking the law.

yes you can there are exceptions. If a gun was willed to you, or you purchased while living in another state. There are exceptions that designate for transportation to and from hunting or range. As for saying that the law is for a parent sitting in another tree is not correct. A 14 year old cam absolutely hunt a wma by getting dropped off or riding a bike.

You took me to literally when I said sitting in another tree

Bottom line is a minor or anyone without a fidc can't transport a firearm.

Here's a couple of the state 2c laws relating firearms

Having a firearm in your home is one thing transporting is another animal

There's no way a minor can transport

Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S. 2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer and disposition of firearms, a legal owner of a shotgun or a rifle may temporarily transfer that firearm to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card. The person to whom a shotgun or rifle is temporarily transferred by the legal owner may receive, possess, carry and use that shotgun or rifle in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purposes of hunting if the transfer is made in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State, the shotgun or rifle is legal and appropriate for hunting and the person to whom the firearm is temporarily transferred possesses a valid license to hunt with a firearm, and a valid rifle permit if the firearm is a rifle, obtained in accordance with the provisions of chapter 3 of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes.

c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2) Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

d. Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

e. Firearms or other weapons in educational institutions.

(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm in or upon any part of the buildings or grounds of any school, college, university or other educational institution, without the written authorization of the governing officer of the institution, is guilty of a crime of the third degree, irrespective of whether he possesses a valid permit to carry the firearm or a valid firearms purchaser identification card.

(2) Any person who knowingly possesses any weapon enumerated in paragraphs (3) and (4) of subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1 or any components which can readily be assembled into a firearm or other weapon enumerated in subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1 or any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful use as it may have, while in or upon any part of the buildings or grounds of any school, college, university or other educational institution without the written authorization of the governing officer of the institution is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

You took me to literally when I said sitting in another tree

Bottom line is a minor or anyone without a fidc can't transport a firearm.

Here's a couple of the state 2c laws relating firearms

Having a firearm in your home is one thing transporting is another animal

There's no way a minor can transport

Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S. 2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer and disposition of firearms, a legal owner of a shotgun or a rifle may temporarily transfer that firearm to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card. The person to whom a shotgun or rifle is temporarily transferred by the legal owner may receive, possess, carry and use that shotgun or rifle in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purposes of hunting if the transfer is made in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State, the shotgun or rifle is legal and appropriate for hunting and the person to whom the firearm is temporarily transferred possesses a valid license to hunt with a firearm, and a valid rifle permit if the firearm is a rifle, obtained in accordance with the provisions of chapter 3 of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes.

Quoting laws makes it appear you know what you are talking about. However you are incorrect about many things. The minor or anyone else with a hunting license and actively operating under that license while to and from is covered under the EXCEPTIONS. Read the entire laws in all three places that they are. 2C:39 & 58 are only PARTS of the entire laws. They are also in Chapter 13 of the Administrative Code Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

This is why I recommended calling an attorney.  Everyone here is well-intentioned in their responses, but I do not think anyone who has responded is an attorney who specializes in NJ's convoluted and archaic gun laws.  Call an attorney who has the first0hand experience dealing with the laws in this regard.

I got a lifetime ban on "the site that shall not be named" for making this same recommendation.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

This is why I recommended calling an attorney. Everyone here is well-intentioned in their responses, but I do not think anyone who has responded is an attorney who specializes in NJ's convoluted and archaic gun laws. Call an attorney who has the first0hand experience dealing with the laws in this regard.

I got a lifetime ban on "the site that shall not be named" for making this same recommendation.

No one here knows who everyone is behind the keyboard. There are a few on here who very versed in what they post and their info is solid Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."