Ryanm

Butcher review problems and changed.

I now go out to pa to elys it’s insane how well it’s done and nothing to hide he walks you around and shows you the deer and the whole process only thing is its pricey but you get a lot of meat and it’s done right. I used couple other guys and was paying $140 for two deer plus one was caped out with that price but I’m hooked on elys place now his jerky and bacon are addictive makes just about anything. I left with 3 big boxes of meat

x2 with Elys. Yes, a bit pricy but it would be impossible to get a better product.

Not for nothing, Tom is a great guy, never had a problem with him, his service or just stopping by to shoot the $hit.

I butcher my own deer and only go to Tom for my Pork Roll, as I do all my own processing at this point also.

Or to drop off deer I've shot for friends or family.

Tom has more on his plate right now than most can handle, either trim your cuts before cooking or move on. I'm sure he will be 101% once all is okay.

Like NOT ONE OF US HAS HAD A ROUGH PATCH

I don’t have a horse in this race and have only used Elys. I know nothing about Tom or any other butcher. I do know business though. I’ve been working in the same family owned auto repair business since I was 11. I’ve been running the place since I was 25. I’m now 55. There can be no such thing as a “rough patch” when you are in business for yourself. Word of mouth can make your business or kill your business. When I’m doing a brake job, I can’t have a “rough patch” or someone could die. Jmo
  • Agree 3

The vacuum sealing issue I can't defend but it is sometimes beneficial to keep the silver skin and fat on the meat until prior to cooking. It serves as an extra layer of protection from freezer burn.. If you do not want to do the trimming as you use it, let the butcher know your preferences. If he blows you off then he doesn't deserve your business.  

I ran a processing business for 15 years, It started out as doing a few for friends and my father's friends, next thing I knew I was processing 250 deer per year. This was before vacuum sealing was popular, just wrapped meat in freezer paper, and made jerky, keilbasi, slim jims and sausage. It was exciting and I liked the extra money at first, by the time I packed it in, I dreaded deer season. I could probably write a book about some of the a**-holes I had for customers, absolutely no respect for me, my wife, and the fact that this was just a sideline for me, not my bread and butter. When I moved, I sold or donated most of my equipment, changed my phone number, and stopped answering the phone for a while if I knew someone was calling about butchering a deer. My biggest fear was getting lyme, thank God I never did, but most butchers I knew got it a few times. I don't know Tom, but if you're unhappy, my advice would be go somewhere else. Butchering your own deer really isn't that difficult, all you need are some sharp knives and a grinder. I always compared it to going to Jiffy Lube, anyone can change the oil in their car, but if you don't want to deal with the mess and cleanup, you go to a garage.

I have my deer butchered and process a few myself. It's HARD work. If you think charging anywhere from $75 to $100 for butchering is a lot, you wouldn't catch me doing it for a living. Think about the time, materials, waste disposal, and rent the butcher has to spend and you will realize it's a good deal. I butcher my own deer when I have time to kill. I always opt for the butcher first. 

I have taken two deer to Tom this year and I friend of mine has taken 5 deer to him. Not one issue and we both cant say anything but positives about Tom. 

Have you reached out to him?  There really isn't anything he can do now to make it better but perhaps he isn't even aware that meat went out this way?

I know that he used to butcher every single deer himself, but I'm not sure this is the case anymore.  I've heard in a few places that he has a lot going on right now and I'm guessing he has hired some help (clearly sub-par help) at this point.  

I'm hoping Tom can get things straightened out because he is a great butcher and a really nice guy too

I don’t wanna name the butcher, those who use him probably have similar problems, he was suppose to move this year and didn’t. I took 3 deer to him this year never had a problem until this year. My deer is not trimmed properly, I have roasts that look like they were cut right off the hind and vacuum sealed without trimming. I have meat freezer burnt from bad vacuum seals. I’ve been going to the guy for three years and I don’t know what happened but I’m very unhappy. I’ve included pics of cuts to show. I got a fourth deer Saturday, drove 40 minutes to Hunterdon County butcher, guy jimmy is a great guy showed me the facility, even helped get my deer out of the truck. He took the time to explain what I was receiving at my last butcher and showed me customer orders going out what to expect. I’ll include pics when I get my deer back. But for now here’s the pic of the roast that was cut off the hind without trimming and backstrap with bad vacuum seals.

When you get your meat from Jimmy it will look lake Sushi Grade Tuna. He is good

I am using someone new for me this year, Big Dog Butcher in Sayreville. Basic cut $75 and he is excellent!!

I started doing my own butchering this year.  First time I ever even skinned a deer.  I did 3.  It was hard work.  I enjoyed it and will probably keep doing it myself for a while.  But, I have new respect for guys that do it.  

Like somebody else said having the silver skin on can be beneficial to help keeping it last longer.   But you do have to trim it when you are ready to cook it.  I can see how your mad if thats not what you ask for.     

For the vacuum pack issue, I know I do my own and get those frosty parts here and there.  Its because the meat was wet while vacuuming, its not really freezer burnt. I've had them like that and took them out after a year and they were fine.

It goes back to if you wanna done right, do it yourself.     Still can't figure out why so many people on here pay somebody to cut their deer up.   

Edited by GoodOleBoysinPA

Tom is the son and T bones is the father correct? Separate business? I’ve been using Jimmy for 4 years and have been very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down south here I have been using lous place in Monroeville for 20 yrs and have always been satisfied. Took a deer last night to Hartman in Berlin. First time there and very friendly and informative about what they make. They had such a great selection I need to kill 2 more deer so I can trust everything

I have used Tom for years, never anything but perfect work. Was the whole order poor quality, or just these 2 pieces?

I have used Tom for years, never anything but perfect work. Was the whole order poor quality, or just these 2 pieces?

Whole order bad. And to answer about freezer burnt, bad vacuum seals when I defrost the venison in my fridge blood drips out of the package everywhere. And the roast the meat turned brown had to cut out the brown meat. All my backstraps have all the silver skin on it as well. Like I said never had this issue either. Had a member reach out to me he and his friend had issues this year as well.

Also I’ve used Tom for years never had a problem until this year. I don’t know if it was just the one deer like this, I don’t label my deer. Chances are it may only be the one deer I got in November.

Edited by Ryanm

Sorry to hear that. He did 4 deer for me this season, all perfect, except one roast had some sliver skin, thought nothing of it. I have 2 deer pending pickup, hopefully they will be good like the past.

• Agree 1

I don’t have a horse in this race and have only used Elys. I know nothing about Tom or any other butcher. I do know business though. I’ve been working in the same family owned auto repair business since I was 11. I’ve been running the place since I was 25. I’m now 55. There can be no such thing as a “rough patch” when you are in business for yourself. Word of mouth can make your business or kill your business. When I’m doing a brake job, I can’t have a “rough patch” or someone could die. Jmo

I get it business is business, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

It's all about customer service and finished product.

No one will die cause of a little silver skin unless they choke on it, as could happen with a bad break job.

Regardless of this post I still dropped 10 lbs of meat at Toms for pork roll to be made, and next weekish depending on how motivated I am will be bringing him another 25 lbs of meat, because he does do quality work.

Regardless of apartment or not I butcher all my deer on kitchen island and when I rented I did them on the kitchen table cause that was my only work space. A standard kitchen fridge can easily hold a deer and weekly groceries.

Wife is numb to it at this point and posed for the pic lol

20161227_105751.jpg

• Agree 1

Down south here I have been using lous place in Monroeville for 20 yrs and have always been satisfied. Took a deer last night to Hartman in Berlin. First time there and very friendly and informative about what they make. They had such a great selection I need to kill 2 more deer so I can trust everything

Been using Hartman’s for a few years now. You won’t be disappointed. Really nice folks and well run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

I do 95% of my own deer.

Tom has been the only person I have let cut any of my deer in many years.

Take one or two to him every year for Keilbasi.

never saw anything except great work  from him

If you are in the Central Jersey area, you can't go wrong with Big Dog. Fast turnaround, good price, excellent packaging. 

Also had an issue with burger meat, tried multiple times to make venison burgers, maybe someone has more input. I pay the $5 charge for beef fat to be added everytime I brought a deer to him. First time this year I had a problem, I can cook the burger on the grill or frying pan looks great, inside is cooked properly, but the inside stays mushy. Can’t figure if it’s freezer burnt, not mixed properly or freezer burnt beef fat added. Chop meat is fine for tacos and in pasta, also my wife uses bread crumbs and does meatballs. I just don’t understand cooked fully and inside is mushy. I live up north that’s why I went to Hunterdon County butcher with my recent deer. And to answer the respond about butchering deer in an apartment, I can’t butcher deer on my tail gate, my fridge is one of those tiny ones typically in apartments. And I don’t have the counter space or an island kitchen unfortunately.

Edited by Ryanm

Outside cooked great but inside mushy sounds like a technique problem. Meat was too cold when you started or pan/grill is too hot

• Agree 1

Outside cooked great but inside mushy sounds like a technique problem. Meat was too cold when you started or pan/grill is too hot

I hope that’s the case, never had the problem I usually cook them on low on the grill. Also I go to shoprite and buy burgers and no issues cooking them they don’t come out mushy. So I don’t think it’s my cooking technique. It really confuses me. Venison burgers taste great on the grill I season a little with the McCormick Worcester pub burger seasoning and it’s pretty good.

Edited by Ryanm