Ryanm

Butcher review problems and changed.

I don’t wanna name the butcher, those who use him probably have similar problems, he was suppose to move this year and didn’t. I took 3 deer to him this year never had a problem until this year. My deer is not trimmed properly, I have roasts that look like they were cut right off the hind and vacuum sealed without trimming. I have meat freezer burnt from bad vacuum seals. I’ve been going to the guy for three years and I don’t know what happened but I’m very unhappy. I’ve included pics of cuts to show. I got a fourth deer Saturday, drove 40 minutes to Hunterdon County butcher, guy jimmy is a great guy showed me the facility, even helped get my deer out of the truck. He took the time to explain what I was receiving at my last butcher and showed me customer orders going out what to expect. I’ll include pics when I get my deer back. But for now here’s the pic of the roast that was cut off the hind without trimming and backstrap with bad vacuum seals.

4D2A4E9E-1C1D-4D2F-B5B2-052D78C43F75.jpeg

F107FE66-F804-4C24-B94A-8CF92A41BF9D.jpeg

B22E3913-E1DB-4C93-9ABC-812147A9DAF0.jpeg

6490B610-71ED-4721-8A9D-A9CD9A249A35.jpeg

Edited by Ryanm

For the record I shot two deer opening weekend and a buck in November. So venison hasn’t been in the freezer that long.

You will like hunterdon deer butcher. I have been using Jimmy since he opened and have never been disappointed.

• Agree 3

Jimmy at hunterdon is top notch service with a smile. One of the few butcher's I use and have never had a complaint. 100% always a pleasure to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

If I wasn’t in an apartment and had someone to show me I would too.

If I wasn’t in an apartment and had someone to show me I would too.

You can skin and quarter a deer in the woods.  All you need is a cooler, tarp, tail gate, or a folding table. After that you can finish it up in your apartment. Just like eating a elephant for the first time, one bite at a time.

As you stated, it would be best to do it with someone who knows what they are doing first. 

• Agree 2

Big Dog,,,,,best cuts I got so far. Not sure your location, but he is in South Amboy

Edited by Lphunsjr

Big Dog,,,,,best cuts I got so far. Not sure location, but he is in Old Bridge

Used to be in Sayreville, he is now on Oak st in South Amboy

• Agree 1

Not for nothing, Tom is a great guy, never had a problem with him, his service or just stopping by to shoot the $hit.

I butcher my own deer and only go to Tom for my Pork Roll, as I do all my own processing at this point also.

Or to drop off deer I've shot for friends or family.

Tom has more on his plate right now than most can handle, either trim your cuts before cooking or move on. I'm sure he will be 101% once all is okay.

Like NOT ONE OF US HAS HAD A ROUGH PATCH

• Agree 1

Sorry to hear. I’ve been using Tom the Butcher for 3 years now and never had an issue. But, when I dropped off a couple of deer in September the place seemed a bit disorganized. Maybe I just caught him at a bad time. I’ll check out Hunterdon Butcher.

If you’re charging full price for chopping cuts off a deer, and pretending you did a full job that’s just wrong. Any full time butcher that cares about their customers would not send a deer out that way. Also I’ve sent him 8 deer in the last 3 seasons, this is the only year I’ve had a problem. Also as I said i have moved on. You kinda know the vibe of your butcher and you tell them okay have a good day and they don’t have the decency to even say bye. The customers are the business. Word travels by mouth and everyone I’ve recommended to him knows about the problems I’ve had this year. And to say a rough time I brought a deer by 9 am opening day September bow. You gonna say he had a shit ton of deer so he did a half ass job. Come on.

• Agree 2

That's why i do it myself.

:agree:  :agree:  :agree:

• Agree 1

Maybe he is under staffed now, I don’t know, but personally it seems like he was planning on moving and the customers didn’t matter cuz he wouldn’t see them again.

Sounds like he might have more going on in life that is impacting the quality of his work, at least that’s how I read it.

Good idea to try another butcher like you are. If it doesn’t work out you can try Tom again or someone else.

Agree he’s only hurting his business sending product out like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

I have used 4 butchers for NJ deer in my life, but basically for "butchers" since 2003, so that's about 15 years. All were excellent at times. I do know how to butcher my own, but my time is valuable and when you find a good butcher, it's just better IMHO...    You have to realize they are humans... They are not part of some massive team or corporation, they are the main show.  Every single butcher I have used has had personal issues at one time or another that affected quality.   The best quality I ever get from a butcher is an early September doe - before they get swamped...   The worst time of year to bring a deer to butcher is 6-day or peak rut - there is just no way possible they can logistically keep up and process everything exactly how you expect in the time you expect or give you every ounce of your own venison back.   Go spend some time at a good deer butcher during peek seasons, and tell me how you would do better?  I have seen the best of the best get completely overwhelmed, I have seen them when there are the "lulls" too - when they wished they were busy.  There is just no way to run this type of business and keep everyone happy all the time... This is NOT an easy business - and they need help, and need to trust that help but can't pay them much to keep the cost down for the consumer....

• Agree 1

I’ve brought tom a lot of deer between September to February, even six day bucks, this is the only year I had an issue. And I’ve seen him busy during six day and never got bad quality like I did this year. That is the only reason I posted the review. Someday I hope I can butcher my own like some of you guys. And correction I’ve been using him for about 5 years. Also may be different for me than others, but I don’t buy any beef at all when I have venison, probably eat venison 4-5 days a week, all different ways of course, helps out an saves money I’m talking standard cuts not a bunch of specialties. So when you go through defrosting meats and ect and you have problems and may loose some due to bad vacuum seals freezer burn you’d be upset as well. I got no problem trimming meat myself, but if I’m paying someone full price to debone a deer without trimming I could probably do a better job myself.

Edited by Ryanm
  • Agree 1

Occasionally I do my own butchering. Gives me enormous satisfaction. My challenge is I don’t do it enough to be as good as a pro and it takes me a couple of hours to do the job. So most times I just go to a Butcher.

• Agree 1

I have used 4 butchers for NJ deer in my life, but basically for "butchers" since 2003, so that's about 15 years. All were excellent at times. I do know how to butcher my own, but my time is valuable and when you find a good butcher, it's just better IMHO...    You have to realize they are humans... They are not part of some massive team or corporation, they are the main show.  Every single butcher I have used has had personal issues at one time or another that affected quality.   The best quality I ever get from a butcher is an early September doe - before they get swamped...   The worst time of year to bring a deer to butcher is 6-day or peak rut - there is just no way possible they can logistically keep up and process everything exactly how you expect in the time you expect or give you every ounce of your own venison back.   Go spend some time at a good deer butcher during peek seasons, and tell me how you would do better?  I have seen the best of the best get completely overwhelmed, I have seen them when there are the "lulls" too - when they wished they were busy.  There is just no way to run this type of business and keep everyone happy all the time... This is NOT an easy business - and they need help, and need to trust that help but can't pay them much to keep the cost down for the consumer....

I ran a processing business for 15 years, It started out as doing a few for friends and my father's friends, next thing I knew I was processing 250 deer per year. This was before vacuum sealing was popular, just wrapped meat in freezer paper, and made jerky, keilbasi, slim jims and sausage. It was exciting and I liked the extra money at first, by the time I packed it in, I dreaded deer season. I could probably write a book about some of the a**-holes I had for customers, absolutely no respect for me, my wife, and the fact that this was just a sideline for me, not my bread and butter. When I moved, I sold or donated most of my equipment, changed my phone number, and stopped answering the phone for a while if I knew someone was calling about butchering a deer. My biggest fear was getting lyme, thank God I never did, but most butchers I knew got it a few times. I don't know Tom, but if you're unhappy, my advice would be go somewhere else. Butchering your own deer really isn't that difficult, all you need are some sharp knives and a grinder. I always compared it to going to Jiffy Lube, anyone can change the oil in their car, but if you don't want to deal with the mess and cleanup, you go to a garage.

Edited by Stan Putz
  • Agree 1

I now go out to pa to elys it’s insane how well it’s done and nothing to hide he walks you around and shows you the deer and the whole process only thing is its pricey but you get a lot of meat and it’s done right. I used couple other guys and was paying $140 for two deer plus one was caped out with that price but I’m hooked on elys place now his jerky and bacon are addictive makes just about anything. I left with 3 big boxes of meat

FBAE9596-B5B2-4DAB-8FA6-8AC3F056CDF6.jpeg

4CD336BB-A24D-434B-B342-833C67811255.jpeg

• Agree 1

yikes, that roast looks terrible damn man even if i was a super lazy butcher and didn't care about getting close and wasting a bit of meat i could trim off all that membrane in a minute or less and have a more decent looking roast vaced for you lol

• Agree 1

Jimmy at hunterdon deer butcher does a phenomenal job. Doesn’t matter what part of the season it is either. His cuts are trimmed perfectly and his shop is clean as a whistle. You will be extremely happy when you get your deer back. I’ve tried every “ legitimate” butcher within an hour of Hunterdon County over the last 20 years and none even come close to quality job you get from Jimmy.

• Agree 2

Jimmy at hunterdon deer butcher does a phenomenal job. Doesn’t matter what part of the season it is either. His cuts are trimmed perfectly and his shop is clean as a whistle. You will be extremely happy when you get your deer back. I’ve tried every “ legitimate” butcher within an hour of Hunterdon County over the last 20 years and none even come close to quality job you get from Jimmy.

Like I said I’ve always had a little trimming here and there to do, but never like this year. And after jimmy was kind enough to show me the facility and the customers cuts, I’m very confident I’ll be happy with his work. I’ll include pics of some cuts when I get my deer back Saturday. Also his turn around time was very quick three days. But it’s a further drive for me that’s why I choose to pick up tomorrow.

Edited by Ryanm
  • Agree 1