IGNORED

Anyone do a DIY hunt public land in another state I’m thinking Ohio 100% diy Public land

Njhunter77

I'm thinking of doing one this upcoming year.  So, I can't really give advice.  But, some advice others have give me is to do as much research as you can via the internet (aerials and topos) to identify several spots in one or more general areas.  Do at least one off season scouting trip out to identify your best bets.  Try to hunt weekdays and have several locations pre-identified so if you can have other options if your areas are over-crowded.  

I was looking into the same thing recently, put a couple hours of research into it. It appears Ohio is not the sleeper state as it was 10 years ago. A-holes like us keep driving out for DIY public land hunts. Advice I found was concentrate on the early season before the pressure sets in, be prepared to scout the winter, and once before the season start. Walk farther, head in earlier than everyone else, all the stuff you'd expect.

With that said more recently I've been researching outfitters...

Would it be wise to invest in a camera that can send photos via while I’m home in nj

I've thought about this.  But, I think on public land; that's a bad bet.  If you were on private (like a lease) you might want to do this type of set up with a solar panel or something.  On public.....I think you're pretty much just dropping a cash pile in the woods for someone to take. Even in ohio.....

Out of state hunts are great, but you better be willing to put some time in. When I first started hunting Kansas DIY nobody wanted to go with me because I was unsuccessful the first few years. It took me some time to learn the land and a different type of hunting compared to hunting back here in the East. After I started bringing back some huge bucks on a regular basis their tunes changed and they wanted to go all of the sudden. Sorry guys...if you didn't help me make the bread you don't get to help me eat it!  :happywave:

Edited by rocky

Out of state hunts are great, but you better be willing to put some time in. When I first started hunting Kansas DIY nobody wanted to go with me because I was unsuccessful the first few years. It took me some time to learn the land and a different type of hunting compared to hunting back here in the East. After I started bringing back some huge bucks on a regular basis their tunes changed and they wanted to go all of the sudden. Sorry guys...if you didn't help me make the bread you don't get to help me eat it!  :happywave:

. This is my first year hunting home in nj alone going on my third year but first alone and I’ve gotten three nice buck and everyone’s asking to tag along so I understand and I’m all about doing it alone and taking the longer route and earning it it doesn’t effect me I like the struggle before enjoying the spoils

Plan a 2-3 day scouting trip early spring before anything starts sprouting and previous sign is easily seen. Pick particular spots to look over utilizing topo and aerial maps to maximize your scouting time, go with a plan. This increase you odds dramatically come November. Pay close attention to deer sign knowing when the sign was laid down and why. During the rut, understanding topography is more important than just sign trying to catch those cruising bucks. There are programs that can be downloaded onto gps units that show you property ownership status. It can be a helpful tool finding those overlooked areas to hunt not known to non residents. Don't be afraid to knock on a few doors too! (Have a plan, be respectful, dress nice, and be willing to help owner with chores).

Hey I didn't turn you down back then so can I go with you now? :happywave:

Do some research online and book with a reputable outfitter for your 1st trip. Get out to the area you want to hunt , go out to the bars, restaurants etc in the evenings. Meet some of the locals. You can gain a lot of useful info or may even meet some landowners face to face. You will most likely meet other hunters also. Any place you can walk into and drop a corn pile sounds like a disappointment in the making. No way I would leave a camera on state land. Kiss it good bye

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

I heard you need to go as far west in the state as you can to get away from the NJ, Pa and Amish folks ..

That may sound like humor, but he is correct. Far west Ohio, or better yet Indiana or Ky public lands are probably better. 

As for the one you picked...Shawnee has some big bucks, but they aren't easy to come by, and there are not a lot of them. Shawnee is very rugged terrain too, so it will take more than one scouting trip, as suggested. It will test your legs and lungs. Deer densities are not like North Jersey, so you will not be able to walk in and in an hour or so find some good places to set up. Probably going to take several days to find some decent sign worth hunting (anything you find close will be hunted hard), and then another trip to get your routes in established and trees set and trimmed. It can be done, but it will take dedication and work. 

This might tick off a few people here but your best bet might be Maryland's Eastern Shore, has some good public lands that are not steep and hold good deer numbers. Like Ohio, they will have other hunters though. Stay away from the Kent, Talbot, Caroline and Queen Anne county lands, those get the most attention but there are some thick places in Worchester, Somerset and Wicomico that get less attention and hold deer, and are closer than Ohio.

good luck

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.