BHC

No Need To Bait In 2018......

And in next few years. I don't care to hunt over bait, but I do put it out a few hundred yards away with a camera to see what bucks are around. The area I hunt is loaded with bears and we all know once they find the bait they eat it all and keep the deer away. With Murphy most likely banning the hunt, allowing bears to multiply I see no reason to waste my time and money baiting.

I have not baited in maybe 10 years and no BS I am seeing more deer, with more harvest opportunities. No bait forces you to hunt by reading and reacting to deer movement and signs. It is more exciting and less work.

Edited by Lunatic
  • Agree 1

I have not baited in maybe 10 years and no BS I am seeing more deer, with more harvest opportunities. No bait forces you to hunt by reading and reacting to deer movement and signs. It is more exciding and less work.

I will say this.....This year was the first year I baited from spring will just around the start of opening day which for my zone was the last saturday in september. Granted I had many deer and some respectable bucks on camera, they seem to disappear....Last year I had nothing out for deer, and I saw so many rack bucks, one was a legit 130" if not bigger......The bears went from the donuts I had out, and then would it the bait I had out for the deer and it was nearly a mile away, some of the bears where the same.....So why waste my time and money to feed the bears, when the hunt will be called off

I will say this.....This year was the first year I baited from spring will just around the start of opening day which for my zone was the last saturday in september. Granted I had many deer and some respectable bucks on camera, they seem to disappear....Last year I had nothing out for deer, and I saw so many rack bucks, one was a legit 130" if not bigger......The bears went from the donuts I had out, and then would it the bait I had out for the deer and it was nearly a mile away, some of the bears where the same.....So why waste my time and money to feed the bears, when the hunt will be called off

I also believe the never ending trips to replenish your bait, and check the cameras pushes mature deer out of the area.

I have seen deer and bear eating at the same bait pile. Bear don’t keep the deer away but they will eat a lot of the corn. I with you guys don’t bait I think it’s a major pain in the ass.

I have seen deer and bear eating at the same bait pile. Bear don’t keep the deer away but they will eat a lot of the corn. I with you guys don’t bait I think it’s a major pain in the ass.

correct they will, but when you have 6 or more bears that number of bears will keep the deer away

I have not baited in maybe 10 years and no BS I am seeing more deer, with more harvest opportunities. No bait forces you to hunt by reading and reacting to deer movement and signs. It is more exciding and less work.

I'm just curious I follow your post and enjoy your pictures.  Are you on Private ground I assume you are.  And I was just having this conversation with my boss about baiting vs. not and if you are on private ground I whole heartedly believe that it is best not to bait, but if you are on state ground it is almost a necessity.

I also believe the never ending trips to replenish your bait, and check the cameras pushes mature deer out of the area.

That's a conversation I had with an outfitter at a show last year. He bragged about running 40+ cams on his property. I asked him if he thought all that scent and intrusion would move big bucks out. His pause gave me the answer. Lol.

• Agree 1

for deer I agree, for bears they sit and watched me put the donuts out, or maybe they thought I was the donut

I stopped baiting public land years ago when I had some yoyo follow deer tracks in the snow right to my bait spots and he stole 3 of my cameras ( I followed his foot prints from and back to the parking area).….now I'm lucky enough to have a few ac. of my own to hunt and I do bait that since it's not that big and I don't have much room to go hunt deer trails coming to my property...I bait heavy during the winter months when I don't have to really worry about bears and it helps draw deer to my property....here's my bait pile lol (apple mash from a local orchard).....and yes I do agree I see more deer out of a stand on public land without bait then on my own property with bait, the deer seem more alert when coming into a 10 star bait pile but I love running cameras on that bait pile and I do hunt over it with the bow but won't kill anything small or any does ( I'm yet to kill anything )

IMG_20171215_142329759.jpg

IMG_20171217_141304604_HDR.jpg

Edited by Psehunter
  • Agree 1

It depends on the property.   If it is real small than baiting will give you a chance to attract a large number of deer onto the piece that normally would not be there.  If it is a large acreage than you could probably have good hunting with or without it.

• Agree 1

It depends on the property.   If it is real small than baiting will give you a chance to attract a large number of deer onto the piece that normally would not be there.  If it is a large acreage than you could probably have good hunting with or without it.

I have 40 acres, but it's surrounded by public land, and lots of it

I'm just curious I follow your post and enjoy your pictures.  Are you on Private ground I assume you are.  And I was just having this conversation with my boss about baiting vs. not and if you are on private ground I whole heartedly believe that it is best not to bait, but if you are on state ground it is almost a necessity.

Yes, private

for deer I agree, for bears they sit and watched me put the donuts out, or maybe they thought I was the donut

Yes, bear is a different animal. I don't; have much experience on baiting bear in NJ but I hunted several times in Canada and they don't care how many times you are there. They are on it instantly

I stopped baiting public land years ago when I had some yoyo follow deer tracks in the snow right to my bait spots and he stole 3 of my cameras ( I followed his foot prints from and back to the parking area).….now I'm lucky enough to have a few ac. of my own to hunt and I do bait that since it's not that big and I don't have much room to go hunt deer trails coming to my property...I bait heavy during the winter months when I don't have to really worry about bears and it helps draw deer to my property....here's my bait pile lol (apple mash from a local orchard).....and yes I do agree I see more deer out of a stand on public land without bait then on my own property with bait, the deer seem more alert when coming into a 10 star bait pile but I love running cameras on that bait pile and I do hunt over it with the bow but won't kill anything small or any does ( I'm yet to kill anything )

Small property which does not have natural deer movement is a different story. You then need to improve the habitat or bait.

Edited by Lunatic
  • Agree 1

All my 60+ years Deer Hunting ( HUNTING ) never Baited (WHY )  Is The Hunt lost with all the Crap to draw in Deer IMOP it only changes the natural habits of the Animals to become dependant on the Bait in some cases even sick. Natural food should be all that's needed.  

My last visit to Dicks I saw Tons of stuff invented to do the hunting for hunters rather than just Hunting like it was intended. To each their own if you need the help so be it,  

Small property which does not have natural deer movement is a different story. You then need to improve the habitat or bait.

What is natural deer movement when or if someone Baits next to that small property and the natural movement is affected?   

I stopped putting out bait in my deer spot in mid September, and that was Lucky Buck Mineral.....Last week I put out some Lucky Buck with corn on top of it.....and a bear shows up, he showed many times this week

MFDC3545.JPG

What is natural deer movement when or if someone Baits next to that small property and the natural movement is affected?   

Natural deer movement is deer on your property without baiting. There are tons of small properties deer will never walk through for various reasons

I have 40 acres, but it's surrounded by public land, and lots of it

My tips for the property would be:  To have a bait area in the middle with a stand and camera.  It will bring deer in and give you an idea of whats around.  If you get daylight pics at the bait then hunt it.  Also, have other stands on trails, funnels in other spots on the property.  If you are targeting deer when you put out a 50 lb bag of corn spread it lightly over a 50/50 yard area, so the bears can't lay there and eat off the pile. Spread it out thin.  Try to bait at midday. Put a block type "bait" right in front of the camera.  I use a Record Rack Wild Berry block(Tractor Supply).  Not trying to tell you what to do because you are an experienced hunter just offering my "two cents", based on what has worked for me.

Edited by Nomad

Yes, private

so here is how I look at baiting vs. not baiting. If you are on state game lands and tell me that you don’t bait and you move with your climber to areas you know are “runs”. Then you are just cutting off someone else and masking it as hunting. I don’t know how it is in the north but down in south jersey you can’t walk 200 yards in most state woods without finding someone’s pile. So if you want to compete you bait. If not you just cut someone off.

so here is how I look at baiting vs. not baiting. If you are on state game lands and tell me that you don’t bait and you move with your climber to areas you know are “runs”. Then you are just cutting off someone else and masking it as hunting. I don’t know how it is in the north but down in south jersey you can’t walk 200 yards in most state woods without finding someone’s pile. So if you want to compete you bait. If not you just cut someone off.

so true i had  a place just in a cedar swamp i was baiting for about 6 weeks nobody around 1st day of shotgun i could hear deer about 50 yards from me outside the cedars and about 75 in another direction up out of the swamp as it turns out someone put bait in after me in two of the  places i looked before dropping mine.. lol