IGNORED

Starting out

not on the rug

Hey guys. I think I'm going to order a Samick Sage takedown and give the old traditional thing a go.

Gonna grab one with 45lb limbs @28".

I have some 400 spine carbons laying around that I don't shoot from my compound (gold tip and cabelas brand) and was checking the spine charts. They are cut to 28" from tip to valley. It looks like I'd need to shoot 150g points/heads to make those work. Does that seem right?

Also, they are fletched with blazer vanes right now. Is that ok, or should I refletch them in 4"?

Any other advice or thoughts?

I don't have any personal experience with that bow, but I'm thinking that's a great choice, poundage wise also. What is your wingspan, middle finger across your chest to middlefinger? I think those arrows are going to be too stiff, too short, might be able to get them to fly with a bunch of weight up front, but then your arrows will be so heavy they won't be any fun. lol      500 defection shafts will probably be better.

I can get together with you sometime, (as long as your not still contagious, ha), and help you get started.

without me, my rifle is nothing

I don't have any personal experience with that bow, but I'm thinking that's a great choice, poundage wise also. What is your wingspan, middle finger across your chest to middlefinger? I think those arrows are going to be too stiff, too short, might be able to get them to fly with a bunch of weight up front, but then your arrows will be so heavy they won't be any fun. lol      500 defection shafts will probably be better.

I can get together with you sometime, (as long as your not still contagious, ha), and help you get started.

I was thinking that too. I think they might be too short to shoot from that bow. I don't remember my wingspan right now. I can measure it in a bit. I am long armed for my height (5'10") so I want to say my span is 73.5".

I may just pick up a half dozen 500 spine arrows and a variety of points to see what flies right.

I'd be happy to get together. I'm certainly going to need a little bit of direction to get off the ground with this endeavor. Once I'm feeling better...

Plenty of guys on here do trad and can help you get started. I believe 3rivers archery sell field point test packs with multiple grain weight heads. Gold tip traditionals are great arrows and pretty forgiving for starters

Just looking on 3 rivers site now. They sell the bow as a package and set it up for you if you'd like. I might do that to get me started

you may need longer arrows depending on how long you truly draw. I do believe it's easier to start fresh with full length shafts, and cut back until you find the perfect spine for the BH you want to use...(that is just one way to go about it.)  The other way is how you are trying - provided the arrows truly are long enough and can handle a BH 125gr and up, until you find that perfect tune. 

Gobblengrunt got me started that way, he asked me what BH i wanted to shoot and I said 175gr VPA, so he ordered the goldtip traditionals and cut them to the optimal spine and put the right amount of twists in the string to get perfect optimal brace height. Bow still shoots great, haven't touched it. 

3rivers also sells a test-pack of field points , where you get like 3 each of 125, 150, 175, 200, 225 gr etc...     You could start with that to see if you can make it work with your current arrows. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Don't go crazy on tuning a recurve when your just starting out. Shoot for awhile and get your form and style consistent. Use arrows that are "close" in spine to start and just have fun. If your looking for a unbelievable "starter" bow, check out the galaxy ember at Lancaster archery. This bow shoot so smooth and fast (bamboo limbs) and has a very comfortable repeatable grip. It also has interchangeable longbow and recurve limbs available. The bow sells for under $200 and shoots equal or better to most of my custom bows!

Looking at it, there is no way those arrows will be long enough.

I might even give 3 rivers a call and have them set everything up for me just to get me started the best I can. Upgrade the string and the rest, have them set up the nock point and cut some arrows for me. I don't need all the stuff they offer in their package anyway.

Is there a local shop that specializes in traditional shooting?

If you can hook up with Gobblengrunt, that will be better than any pro shop you could find...  I guarantee it. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

That sounds like a good idea.

Tdietz offered earlier and Nomad has offered to hekp in the past as well

all great resources - also Pintail is an excellent traditional shooter and resource. 

I shot a big 10pt once….