IGNORED

Is the 6-Day tradition a thing of the past?

Rusty

My only point was to say that 6-day is the traditional buck week and that it’s actually for me - statistically a very poor time of year to harvest a decent buck. The topic was about why the 6-day tradition has died. A week that I used to get excited about when I was much younger to go hunt with a deer gang with no real knowledge how to actually hunt deer in the gang or myself. Little did I know about how deer behave in September / October / November. The main point being it’s hard to get excited over one week out of the year that statistically for me and many others has never amounted to much. If came across as tooting my own horn - my apologies that was not intended I was offering more evidence in response to the topic. Can a mod please delete my post that others may take offense to?

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Winter bow OK? Guns bad? Most does are pregnant by then but killing them with a bow is better? So confused. Or is it just a case of I don't like it so you should not be doing it type of thinking.

No difference if the doe is pregnant in late season or not pregnant in September. Whenever you take her Its the same result when it comes to deer numbers.

We know Jack, we all seen them 2,000,000,000 times on every website known to the free world. And your point????? What does the weapon have to do with the animals???? You obviously have good property to hunt, something that everyone doesn't have. You choose to shoot a compound bow, Not everyone wants to do that so, that makes an argument? why? Is chevy better then ford? is steel better then wood? This is about killing deer, not exactly conquering world hunger...... Put the freekin' soapbox away already.......GEEZE......There is nothing wrong with blowing your horn over some prize that cost more effort then someone is willing to expel but toss out a bag of corn and LOOK WHAT I GOT.......... Really?? Time to flip the record.... Sorry for the rant.......Just tired of reading the same old same old......

I think you misunderstood JBBH's point. I don't see him making a statement about  one weapon being bad and his good. He is explaining why the 6 day is dying.

Edited by Lunatic

My only point was to say that 6-day is the traditional buck week and that it’s acttally for me - statistically a very poor time of year to harvest a decent buck. The topic was about why the 6-day tradition has died. A week that I used to get excited about when I was much younger to go hunt with a deer gang with no real knowledge how to actually hunt deer in the gang or myself. Little did I know about how deer behave in September / October / November. The main point being it’s hard to get excited over one week out of the year that statistically for me and many others has never amounted to much. If came across as tooting my own horn - my apologies that was not intended I was offering more evidence in response to the topic. Can a mod please delete my post that others may take offense to?

Snowflake !! :happywave:

Well, as you can see, I am just posting this now, because I was hunting all day and just walked in the door.  Was hunting all day with the farm boys.  So in my world, which revolves around the center of Zone 5, the answer is no, it's not a thing of the past.  And we are just getting warmed up.................

Well, as you can see, I am just posting this now, because I was hunting all day and just walked in the door.  Was hunting all day with the farm boys.  So in my world, which revolves around the center of Zone 5, the answer is no, it's not a thing of the past.  And we are just getting warmed up.................

:up:  :up:

i take 6 day off every year, and have never killed a deer during 6 day. i have some friends that only gun hunt and thats the first time i get to hunt with them. i do at the same time think 6 day needs to go. but i understand the tradition because i still take it off work to be with friends. 

Every year my father gets all excited for 6 day. He has t bow Hunted in years since he hurt his shoulder and hasn’t accepted the crossbow yet. I have to remind him every year that it’s not how it used to be. 25 years ago it was like a holiday. Everyone was out there. Guys shooting bucks. Guys bumping bucks from area to area. Some real spammers appeared outta nowhere (before cameras). Everyone was out. Everyone had a good time. It’s was magica to me as a kid. Now it’s just another day, with a gun instead of a bow.

How is your gang making out?  

I shot a big 10pt once….

i take 6 day off every year, and have never killed a deer during 6 day. i have some friends that only gun hunt and thats the first time i get to hunt with them. i do at the same time think 6 day needs to go. but i understand the tradition because i still take it off work to be with friends. 

I would not say "it needs to go" ?  I think the "two buck tag" thing is out-dated.   I think it should be just treated as any other season. Treat NJ "revenue" with licenses and permits - determne what weapon can be used during what dates/seasons and for how long...    Treat MANAGEMENT with flexible tags, meaning each hunter is allotted X-amount of bucks per year, and x-amount of antlerless per year.     Use them as you wish, provided you pay in advance for the license and permits you choose.

Ironically - "antlerless" deer management is "zone specific", yet "buck management" is NOT.       Come on NJ - be consistent.     I can shoot 9 antlerless per season/permit in zone 5 (that's 45 antlerless a year in that zone alone if I want)  I can shoot 5 of the same in zone 2 (that's another 25 antlerless if I want).... Those zones actually touch each other.   However - when it comes to permit bow, I can't shoot a buck in z2 if I shot one in z5, etc...   (not that I am greedy and need to shoot two permit bow bucks - just making the point of how ridiculous the logic actually is).

I will get off my soapbox soon - but the reality is, with just a little more intelligent thought, we can have a simplified tag system that still generates "enough" revenue for NJ, and makes everyone happy (meat hunters, trophy hunters, and "hybrid of both" hunters alike).

two flexible buck tags per year - one more than Ohio and Pennsylvania allow, but not the "6" that can be accomplished today, should one buy every single permit and license there is and actually complete the "jersey slam".

I shot a big 10pt once….