IGNORED

Is the 6-Day tradition a thing of the past?

Rusty

I might also add - I have 13 bucks on my wall and 2 more in flight from this season.   I am 53. Started deer hunting age 10 with gun with my dad.   Hunted hard during 6-day for many years, sat through many a deer drive.  I didn't shoot a buck until age 16 - a spike.  Even at that, another club member tried to claim it as he shot first, the buck never looked like it was hit after he shot it came to me walking just fine and I dropped it.  Was a bit of a thrill until some jackwagon guy in his 50s who would shoot 3 bucks on one drive and expect others to tag his bucks, tried to claim my first buck. I thought my father was going to shoot him.   But my point is really this - I never shot a buck older than 1.5 years in all those years of shotgun hunting and only one 8 point that was 2.5 - 3.5  because it was injured after I became a dedicated bow hunter (a buck I had passed with bow but was limping bad).   Never shot anything remotely close to deserving of a shoulder mount during 6-day...  Now I have a wall full of 3.5 to 6.5 year old bucks, all with bow...      The evidence doesn't lie...

Yup. 6 day is for the brown and its down crowd

^^^^^^ has nothing to do with what's on the wall. I just take more pride in what I shoot, doe, dink or slammer, knowing I worked for it by scouting with knowing my areas, running cameras and even baiting. I'm very happy shooting deer not because they had to get away from the yelling that was moving them, but because they were going where they WANTED TO.

Not knocking drives just think it's a very old not needed form of hunting now a days.

If you need a deer real bad buy some corn like a lot do, if you long for comraderie hang out at the diner.

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

I might also add - I have 13 bucks on my wall and 2 more in flight from this season.   I am 53. Started deer hunting age 10 with gun with my dad.   Hunted hard during 6-day for many years, sat through many a deer drive.  I didn't shoot a buck until age 16 - a spike.  Even at that, another club member tried to claim it as he shot first, the buck never looked like it was hit after he shot it came to me walking just fine and I dropped it.  Was a bit of a thrill until some jackwagon guy in his 50s who would shoot 3 bucks on one drive and expect others to tag his bucks, tried to claim my first buck. I thought my father was going to shoot him.   But my point is really this - I never shot a buck older than 1.5 years in all those years of shotgun hunting and only one 8 point that was 2.5 - 3.5  because it was injured after I became a dedicated bow hunter (a buck I had passed with bow but was limping bad).   Never shot anything remotely close to deserving of a shoulder mount during 6-day...  Now I have a wall full of 3.5 to 6.5 year old bucks, all with bow...      The evidence doesn't lie...  

We know Jack, we all seen them 2,000,000,000 times on every website known to the free world. And your point????? What does the weapon have to do with the animals???? You obviously have good property to hunt, something that everyone doesn't have. You choose to shoot a compound bow, Not everyone wants to do that so, that makes an argument? why? Is chevy better then ford? is steel better then wood? This is about killing deer, not exactly conquering world hunger...... Put the freekin' soapbox away already.......GEEZE......There is nothing wrong with blowing your horn over some prize that cost more effort then someone is willing to expel but toss out a bag of corn and LOOK WHAT I GOT.......... Really?? Time to flip the record.... Sorry for the rant.......Just tired of reading the same old same old......

Three pages of confusion. No one hunting state land anymore followed by hundreds of guys driving stateland. Guns season to long but bow season starting sept 1 is OK. One guy says zone three is a zoo an the other says its vacate. Both have Haskell in there screen name.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

I wouldn't call it "confusion" its opinions. If your last comment is directed at me I am not sure where the confusion is. I never said drives are bad, I just don't like that guys can do them into mid February and with no bag limits. 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Back in 1984, I was hunting 350 acres with about 8 guys. We stayed on stand opening day until 9:00-9:30am. Then, we would come back to the barn and hang out and discuss the upcoming deer drives. We would always switch drivers versus standers. We would drive until about 11:30am and go to my wife's uncle's house for homemade vegetable soup, chips, snacks and soft drinks. We would go back on stand at 2:30-3:00pm until dark. After that we would go back to my wife's uncles house for a few beers. I hunted with them until 1990 when I switched to a property in Tewksbury. I will cherish those memories for the rest of my life. The farm was sold many years ago but, I still hunt during buck week with my wife's uncle. Great times.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

We know Jack, we all seen them 2,000,000,000 times on every website known to the free world. And your point????? What does the weapon have to do with the animals???? You obviously have good property to hunt, something that everyone doesn't have. You choose to shoot a compound bow, Not everyone wants to do that so, that makes an argument? why? Is chevy better then ford? is steel better then wood? This is about killing deer, not exactly conquering world hunger...... Put the freekin' soapbox away already.......GEEZE......There is nothing wrong with blowing your horn over some prize that cost more effort then someone is willing to expel but toss out a bag of corn and LOOK WHAT I GOT.......... Really?? Time to flip the record.... Sorry for the rant.......Just tired of reading the same old same old......

Jack is my hero.  Back off, man!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Winter bow OK? Guns bad? Most does are pregnant by then but killing them with a bow is better? So confused. Or is it just a case of I don't like it so you should not be doing it type of thinking.

I guess your looking for an argument. Who said guns are bad????? Who said anything about killing pregnant does????  Or maybe this is a case of you not wanting to hear other opinions that you don't agree with? 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Not much about the 6 day tradition, but a lot to do with the lack of deer in  aplaces deer should be... I got this off of Wide Open Spaces: 

It’s not all the state’s fault. We hunters share the blame for declining deer numbers, too.
For the last couple of years, more and more hunters have been complaining about declining deer numbers all over the country. By large part, the data backs it all up, but the reasons of why this is happening are as varied by the states in which the deer live.
Most say it’s due to outbreaks of CWD, hard winters, predation, or just flat-out mismanagement by their state. However, this season, I think it’s time hunters take a long look in the mirror and do something about it.
The QDMA has put out a ton of studies on this very issue. Shooting too many does is bad for deer numbers on your property and shooting does is exactly what your state wants.
Big insurance companies also may have something to do with it. By lobbying to keep increasing harvest totals in an effort to reduce vehicle collisions, the money flow has been loud and clear. The sad part of this is that hunters go right along with it.
In one county where I hunt, I’m allowed to harvest eight does. Why in the world would anyone need to harvest eight does? However, many people do. Again…why?
Not only are other hunters taking those eight does, they are taking all those buck and doe yearlings from those does the following year. My state even opened up a doe-only extended weekend hunt at the end of the season when all those does that lived during archery, gun, and muzzleloader have been bred.
It’s pretty much a massacre.
These same hunters shooting every doe they see are the ones complaining the loudest right now that deer numbers are down.
So here’s the rub. Stop shooting does!
Sure, take your buck. If you still need more venison to make it through to next year, take a doe. Filling all your tags just to donate venison is destroying the herd around you.
Of course it’s good to fill food pantries. However, using that as an excuse to kill deer would make Issak Walton roll over in his grave.
I understand I may be preaching to the choir here and this may not apply to most reading this. However, maybe it’s time you have a talk with the guy who hunts next to you.
The state manages the entire deer herd from border to border. You manage the deer where you hunt.
Who do you think has the most immediate impact?

I have my opinions and can agree to a lot of this. What are yours?

Confucius say:  "The bows in our hand today are as effective as the shotgun of past".   Why hunt 6 day when you can hunt with a nearly as effective weapon for months before it?  After all most deer are taken at short range even with a shotgun.  Shit...if you had to hunt with a stick and string for bow season you would be excited for the chance to get out with a shotgun! Paybacks a bitch deer!! lol  I know! Ha, ha, ha.

Just my two cents...I never deer hunted NJ much, only ever hunted 1, maybe 2 days of buck week...maybe a day or two of permit shotgun. That was the extent of my deer hunting. Thought of hunting public land never tasted good, I was fortunate that I had a nice couple private pieces we hunted. I've always been more interested in waterfowl..Just shooting a deer every now and then for meat.

Moved away for a couple years, picked up the bow...muzzleloader....rifle while living there to deer hunt. Never needed to hunt private, had access to some amazing deer all on public. Learned a lot. Relied on it more to eat. The thought of hunting buck week now having moved back, very little desire to on public knowing I'll likely get walked up on or bothered. I'm looking forward to picking the bow and muzzleloader back up next season. Even if it's on public. Just more opportunity to enjoy your time in the woods IMO versus sitting with a gun when folks come out of the woodwork. 

The idea of deer camp, buck week, etc...very much a thing of yesteryear, the gentlemen's club if you will. It's a social aspect of the sport that is in decline, be it going with the cohort of hunters that are up there in age, the sour taste of the stigma attached to hunters that go out during 6-day, what have you. 

Edited by chenrossi

No argument. I have been around enough hunters and gun clubs to know its always those other guys killing all the deer and thats why we did not get any. Spots go from good to bad. Life is to short to hunt bad ground. Move with the deer. Change things up.