IGNORED

All around hunting dog???

Any ideas on an all types of game dog?

Looking for a dog that has the ability to hunt all types of game.

Pheasant so a pointer/flusher

Duck/goose so a retriever water dog

Deer shed tracker.

Smart, patient walking hunter dog, and good family dog too.

I've had retrievers, Shepard's and mutts...

All great dogs but not hunters.

Someone mentioned a Griffon? Seems hard to find though any thoughts?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I recently took in a Borador (border collie/Labrador) and he's done a great job upland hunting, water retrieving and tracking wounded deers. If I didn't take him in as a rescue I was looking at getting a Griffon as well. But I couldn't be more pleased with the dogs hunting ability to date even though he's still relatively young(just turned 2 last month)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

too many great breeds to try and pin it down as one for all around, i am partial to labs and german short haired pointers as they have both performed well for me hunting pheasants, ducks, and geese,  there is a clumber spaniel that is supposed to be a close, slower paced dog, but I have never hunted over one so I don't know for sure.  I also think the more info you get the more confused you will be, good luck

I've had a black lab that would upland like the best of them, and retrieve to hand. Just had to watch her tail, she would let ya know when she was getting ready to flush one.

Now I have a gsp, he still needs some work, but so far has been awesome. Getting a little big to be a lap dog, but he try's. Extremely people oriented.

I like all the bird hunting breeds and wish I had more lifetimes to experience them all. I have trained or hunted with most of them, and have seen good representatives from many breeds. But for my money the hunter looking for an all around gun dog would be hard pressed to find a better dog than the field bred English Springer Spaniel and English Cocker! They will hunt their heart out for you and LOVE every minute of it. They are good retrievers if the task is reasonable and are second to none when it comes to pheasants, pheasants are their specialty! They can turn the switch off when they get home and are great if given enough exercise! Good luck with your choice!

This video shows the intensity the bring to the hunt!

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

if you do a lot of duck/goose hunting, especially in the cold weather, a lab is hard to beat for that, and it will do a fine job in the upland.  If you do more of the upland and duck/goose hunt on land or smaller, warmer water, then a springer might be a really good choice.  I think a springer can be trained to be quiet in a blind, but I'm not sure of that.

I tend to think a pointing dog might be more work to get where you want it to be...and keep it there, than a flushing dog/retriever. Pointing dogs do tend to take more training to be useable in the field, than flushing dog.

Also, consider the relative availability.  Some breeds will require you going on a waiting list, especially for top level representatives of that breed.  Other than the shorthair, the continental breeds are a very definite minority in terms of litters available.  There are, quite simply, not that many dogs of those other breeds out there.  The lab is the most heavily bred of the sporting dogs, so there should be an ample number of pups to pick from, especially if you live near an area where duck/geese are frequently hunted.

If however, you are willing to put in the time and effort, a Wirehair or a DD or a shorthair can be an awesome hunting partner.

RayG

Probably any of the dog breeds listed would fill the bill,but due diligence is required to get the best hunting breeding you can find,had French britts for many years from good bloodlines fantastic hunters probably too small for geese! The pup I now have ( Pudelpointer) can handle just about anything,I'm not a waterfowl hunter but many who own this breed are and tell me they are incredible,So far this dog has been a pheasant hunting machine at such a young age,scored perfect on his navhda NA test,but as stated by someone previously you might have a wait for a dog! After a few weeks layoff Saturday had seven finds great points and a few relocates,harvested all seven birds! Still not a lost cripple!

IMG_1056.JPG

I like all the bird hunting breeds and wish I had more lifetimes to experience them all. I have trained or hunted with most of them, and have seen good representatives from many breeds. But for my money the hunter looking for an all around gun dog would be hard pressed to find a better dog than the field bred English Springer Spaniel and English Cocker! They will hunt their heart out for you and LOVE every minute of it. They are good retrievers if the task is reasonable and are second to none when it comes to pheasants, pheasants are their specialty! They can turn the switch off when they get home and are great if given enough exercise! Good luck with your choice!

This video shows the intensity the bring to the hunt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vLvOf3NK9k

Wow those Springer Spaniels!!!

I need to think about this for a little bit might be easier to get a springer than it is to get a Griffon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk