IGNORED

Leaving pellets in M/L?

Screaminta

Similar to the thread below about leaving blackhorn 209, can I leave a load of triple seven pellets in my rifle for a week without it ruining something? This would be in an unfired bore with maybe two primers snapped to "foul" the bore. Is it better to let the entire rifle while "loaded" (no primer of course) in the garage to warm/cool with outside temps? Would bringing it inside the house potentially allow condensation when I go outside? Lastly what is the "correct" procedure to unload an inline without firing?

We had a guy do that but then he ended up not hunting any more that year and forgot the gun was loaded.  He lent the gun to his buddy to take his hunter ed class.  The guy went to pop a cap to foul the barrel and he blew a hole in the dirt 2' in front of his foot.  Needless to say he didn't pass the class that day.   

Edited by Rusty

I've left pellets in my m/l for a few months without issue.  However, when I clean my m/l I usually do a final layer of bore butter to seal it prior to storage.  So that may have protected the barrel while the charge was still at the breach.

As mentioned above, I've also removed the breach and pushed everything out the back if I'm going to store the gun off-season.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

We had a guy do that but then he ended up not hunting any more that year and forgot the gun was loaded.  He lent the gun to his buddy to take his hunter ed class.  The guy went to pop a cap to foul the barrel and he blew a hole in the dirt 2' in front of his foot.  Needless to say he didn't pass the class that day.   

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

I load my muzzle loader in November and it stays loaded until February when the season ends without any negative effects that I can see. Once the season is over I push the load out of the breach and clean it..

I have marked my ram rod so I know if the gun is loaded by placing the ram rod in the barrel. If the mark is close to the end of the barrel I know the gun is loaded. You should be able to lightly bounce the ram rod off the breech plug if it is empty. If it is loaded the ram rod will not bounce off the bullet like it bounces off the breech plug.

Safety first. Treat every gun as though it is loaded.

If you leave the pellets in the gun, leave the gun out in the cold like a shed or garage. Bringing inside the house with the temperature change could cause condensation and render the power no good and possible cause rust in the barrel. 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If you leave the pellets in the gun, leave the gun out in the cold like a shed or garage. Bringing inside the house with the temperature change could cause condensation and render the power no good and possible cause rust in the barrel. 

keep mine in the garage 

I always put a charge and bullet in my gun after cleaning, even if it's the last cleaning for the year my guys stay loaded up in a dry safe all summer..I e been doing this for just over 8 years now with the same to guns and have never had a problem..just make sure its in a dry place and I don't see why that would be bad for it

Is this an issue with BH209 also?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk