IGNORED

Looking to add another 1 to the safe

mattg1500

Thinking of another rifle in the next month or so. I believe I have it narrowed down to 3. Any experience or info appreciated

Remington 700 Long Range 7mm rem mag

Bergara B14 7mm rem mag

Kimber hunter boot campaign 280 ackley imp

I tossed around the 6.5cm in the bergara but I dont handload and have feiends with them and say it loses effectiveness after 500yds

What are you looking to do with the rifle? For long range target shooting and deer hunting the 6.5 CM is very popular and guys are getting great accuracy with the factory Hornady loads with the ELD bullet.

I'd look at the Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM for a general hunting rig.

168gr deer and hog. In Ga there are some long lanes. I have a T3 in 243 and ive watched hogs run to the next county after sucking a NBT up. Im a fan of my mag and thought about. RUM alsi but the 280ai is looking great with less recoil. My friend has a 6.5cm and hes the one testing it and gave me the loss of knockdown after 500. There are more factory loads for the cm than the ai

Are you really going to be making 500 yard shots?

7mm is fast and flat.  It'll get the job done.

I have a Rem 700 XCR II in .30-06 that gets the job done.  You probably want to swap out the trigger and free float the barrel.  I'd also be interested to know what kind of glass you're going to use on that gun.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

How about a Sako. Made in Finland. Not cheap but they sure are pretty guns

Just picked up my first sako, a 243, it's insanely accurate.

Here's a great deal on one...

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-85-finn-bear-7mm-rem-mag-95-twist-24-barrel-mpn-jrsf570.aspx

I'd throw this Meopta made scope on it...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INSTINCT-CUSTOM-TURRET-SCOPE/2347383.uts?slotId=3

Edited by MikeStaten

Are you really going to be making 500 yard shots?

7mm is fast and flat.  It'll get the job done.

I have a Rem 700 XCR II in .30-06 that gets the job done.  You probably want to swap out the trigger and free float the barrel.  I'd also be interested to know what kind of glass you're going to use on that gun.

down there yes 500 is very possible. He has shot coyotes at over 700 there. I originally wanted the 7mm then the ai got on my mind and theres always the 7mm stw but... lol. I would do a VX6, Swarovski or NF. I love my Leupolds but my swaro is so light and the BT is spot on

down there yes 500 is very possible. He has shot coyotes at over 700 there. I originally wanted the 7mm then the ai got on my mind and theres always the 7mm stw but... lol. I would do a VX6, Swarovski or NF. I love my Leupolds but my swaro is so light and the BT is spot on

That's the toughest decision once you get your gun / caliber chosen.  What kind of glass goes on it, and how does that limit your shooting?  Between 500-700 you're going to be putting some big glass on that.  There are also very few places in NJ to sight that in.  May not be an issue if you're going to be out of state with it a lot.

I went with the .30-06 because I can reach out and touch yotes up to 500 yards with the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm I have on the rifle, but I wouldn't trust a further shot with that scope.  IMHO, most yote experiences here or in the midwest are within 500 yards, most 300 or less.  But you know your hunting spot, and the yotes may be smarter.  Must be awesome land to offer such a long shot.

Good luck with your research.  I'm very interested to know which scope you go with when you make your final decision.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

That's the toughest decision once you get your gun / caliber chosen.  What kind of glass goes on it, and how does that limit your shooting?  Between 500-700 you're going to be putting some big glass on that.  There are also very few places in NJ to sight that in.  May not be an issue if you're going to be out of state with it a lot.

I went with the .30-06 because I can reach out and touch yotes up to 500 yards with the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm I have on the rifle, but I wouldn't trust a further shot with that scope.  IMHO, most yote experiences here or in the midwest are within 500 yards, most 300 or less.  But you know your hunting spot, and the yotes may be smarter.  Must be awesome land to offer such a long shot.

Good luck with your research.  I'm very interested to know which scope you go with when you make your final decision.

im a Pa res so there are places to sight in here. Honestly I zero at 100 and everything else is done with the turrets and a cheat sheet.

Deciding on glass isnt hard, its hard to pay for! Drop 1000 on a rifle and 2000 on a scope an we will be sharing an apartment somewhere when we get kicked out lol. My 308 has the most in it at just over 4k but that includes the NV