IGNORED

Winter Rye

Winter rye I believe will not go dormant until you get temps at 38 degrees. If it warms up, it will start growing again. As long as temps are above 38, I think it would grow. Rye grows very fast, its cheap. Throw it down and let us know how it works out. 

I'm hydro seeding a former lake bed with winter rye (mostly) this coming Saturday and Sunday in Lebanon Twp.  We will be tacking down straw as well, but I do expect some germination of the rye yet this fall.  Not a food plot for hunting, but it's the same idea as we need to stabilize the mucky soils that were once underwater until recently.  Especially now that the wild trout stream is flowing freely through this former 7 acre pond.  

The experiment is on . Brush hogged about an acre of corn stubble and ran the disc through. Threw down the winter rye and lightly disced it in . Our disc isn't heavy enough to really chop all the stubble up but we had some dirt showing and maybe the chopped up stubble will act as a mulch . Will let you how things work out .

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3065.jpgGood luck with your planting Russ.  My experience is that year to year the growing season shifts so maybe it takes off, maybe not.  I seeded a field in Burlington County with Triticale, red clover and crimson clover early in November.  I'll see if I can't get a comparison photo.  The first is a photo of a corn field that was seeded with cereal rye, annual rye, crimson clover, red clover and till radish at the beginning of October.  We flew on the seed so it could start before harvest.  The second photo is the same mix that was drill seeded into a clean field.

IMG_3049.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...