IGNORED

Fly fishing lessons/ outfitter

Kayak Ken

I am looking to get into fly fishing and but have never even held a fly rod. Can anyone suggest an outfitter or a place that gives lessons? Or maybe someone wants to take me under their wing and teach me how to fly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This has Bucksnbows name all over it!  Kenny, he is the man to see and talk to about this! 

Edited by LPJR

Call Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon or get in touch with njdeerhunter54 who is a great guide and flyfisherman, won't steer you wrong.

Gerry is an excellent guide as are all of our guides at Shannon's.  And we're cheap (too cheap IMO).  I was head guide until a little over a year ago when I started my new company and have had to take a step back from guiding, but we have many excellent guides and do a tremendous amount of teaching newbies.  I suggest a half day (4 hr.) trip on public water initially.  You will leave knowing the basics and being able to spend time on your own catching at least some fish.  If you get stuck, come back for a 2nd trip and our guides will work with you on any glitches or issues you may have developed.  And hook up with other members here and spend time on the water with them fly fishing. 

kenny10177 - if you give me a couple of weeks to get through a current work project and deer camps (archery and gun in NY), I can meet you on the Musky, South Branch, etc. and help get you started, no charge.  It will give me an excuse to fish myself.    

kenny10177 - if you give me a couple of weeks to get through a current work project and deer camps (archery and gun in NY), I can meet you on the Musky, South Branch, etc. and help get you started, no charge.  It will give me an excuse to fish myself.    

:up:  :up:

kenny10177 - if you give me a couple of weeks to get through a current work project and deer camps (archery and gun in NY), I can meet you on the Musky, South Branch, etc. and help get you started, no charge. It will give me an excuse to fish myself.

Thank you I really appreciate it

Thank you I really appreciate it

It's very easy to let fly fishing overwhelm you, but it can be greatly simplified when you are first starting out.  The two things most fly anglers do wrong is 1) they don't get a natural drift of their flies and 2) they don't have the flies where the fish are feeding.  The actual flies themselves are far less important than either of those two things.  They say a trout has the human equivalent of an IQ of 6, so it's not that they are outsmarting us (well, some of us), it's that your flies aren't drifting naturally and/or aren't in their faces. 

I have a nice almost new set up,  (Rod used for a day in Colorado) double case, rods ,reels,  wet and dry flies, orvis nymphs, extra fly boxes etc .  send cell for pics.  asking  $60.00  rod alone was over 80.  I'll never use them again.   If no takers, I usually go to a local Lake and hand out  items to deserving youths and their fathers.

I have a nice almost new set up, (Rod used for a day in Colorado) double case, rods ,reels, wet and dry flies, orvis nymphs, extra fly boxes etc . send cell for pics. asking $60.00 rod alone was over 80. I'll never use them again. If no takers, I usually go to a local Lake and hand out items to deserving youths and their fathers.

Pm sent