IGNORED

NM Antelope hunt

flat9999

Dates – October 6th to October 9th

Outfitter – No official name

Booking Agent – Wade Derby of Crosshair Consulting - Crosshair Consulting - World Class Hunting Trips with the World's Best Outfitters

Guides – Randell and Brice

Area – cattle and high plains properties

Rifles – Weatherby MarkV Ultralightweight in .257 Wby Mag.

Ammo – Weatherby factory ammo – .257 110 grain AB.

Game Taken – Pronghorn

Animals Seen – Mule deer, jackrabbits, falcons, owls, coyotes, antelope

Equipment - Lightweight hiking gear. No camo or orange required.

Just got back from a 3 day hunt near the town of Ft. Sumner, NM for pronghorn antelope. Overall, it was a great, stress free hunt and our group of 5 hunters all tagged-out in the first 2 days of hunting.

We started out by flying into Amarillo,TX and driving the 3 hours to Ft. Sumner,NM. After a good night's sleep at the local hotel, we met with our guides, who then drove us to the 18,000 acre ranch that we would be hunting on. That area of NM had a fair amount of rain recently, and the antelope would be spread out all over the plains since they could find water just about anywhere. That meant that we would be driving from vantage point to vantage point looking for them. Once spotted, we would try to gain some ground on foot and take our shot.

While driving between positions, I saw what looked like a good antelope skylined on a hilltop. We were able to get a little closer, and I decided that I would take a shot at it. Using my backpack as a rest, I pulled the trigger and the antelope dropped on the spot. He was ranged at 415 yards and measured 16.5 inches with fairly good mass and cutters.

We able able to fill 3 tags on the first day, and the final 2 on the second day. They ranged from 14 to a over 16 inches.

The last day was spent shooting prairie dogs, and lemme tell you, that can get very expensive when using a big game rifle.

Was a great hunt with a great outfitter.

22281810_10210055018117484_8500218323267709909_n.jpg

P1040151.JPG

P1040130.JPG

P1040126.JPG

:up:

How'd you like that altitude?  Makes for a real fun drag, doesn't it!?

Animals Seen – Mule deer, jackrabbits, falcons, owls, coyotes, antelope

No roadrunners?

I saw a lot of Pronhorn in Raton this summer.  They didn't look as tasty as the whitetails.  Did you or will you have a chance to sample some of your cull?  If so, let us know how they tasted.

:up:

How'd you like that altitude?  Makes for a real fun drag, doesn't it!?

No roadrunners?

I saw a lot of Pronhorn in Raton this summer.  They didn't look as tasty as the whitetails.  Did you or will you have a chance to sample some of your cull?  If so, let us know how they tasted.

I stand corrected, we did see a single road runner.

The altitude wasn't that bad at all. IIRC, it was around 4500-6000ft.

I've had pronghorn once before, I would say that you have a 50/50 chance between it being really good or really bad.