IGNORED

Red Bluff Lodge Allendale, SC ~ Review

JimmyScags

As you guys may have read on my previous posts I recently went on my first guided/outfitted hunting trip. Jim Boone and his operation at Red Bluff lodge in South Carolina came highly recommended and after a phone call I decided I wanted to give him the business. I'm glad I did.

The Lodge Owner

First let me say you will not meet a more honest or forth coming person than Jim Boone. He wants his clients to know exactly what to expect when in his care and makes sure to set realistic expectations. He is exceedingly knowledgeable about guns, animals and hunting. Jim is a gunsmith in addition to being a guide/lodge owner and has a degree from Clemson in Wildlife Biology. Some of his ideas are somewhat unconventional to northern hunters, particularly his thoughts on caliber and shot placement, but the results speak for themselves. Jim loaned me a rifle since mine was giving me issues and I've got to say it was the nicest rifle I've ever shot. His ideal shot placement it broadside through the center of the scapula, contrary to everything I've ever been taught, which leaves little blood but tends to drop the animal within 20yds. His preferred caliber is 243win which sounded way too light from what I've read or used in NY state but the results were obvious in the skinning shed. Jim also prefers you shoot young does as the older ones tend to have more fawns.

The Lodge

The lodge is the Boone's personal residence. They live upstairs and the clients stay downstairs. You really have the impression you are staying with friends at their big beautiful house. The Boone's go out of their way to make sure you feel at home and comfortable. The pictures on the website don't really do it justice. Each room has its own bathroom and the staff cleans them daily. The food was delicious and abundant southern style cooking.  Breakfast was coffee and cereal, lunch and dinner were hot and freshly prepared. There is a large skinning shed with 2 large walk in freezers and a shooting range with 50yd and 100yd positions.

The Animals

These are southern deer, they're not huge and if that's what you're looking for this isn't the place, although we did see some big boys. What they have to offer in place of size is shot opportunities. I was there for 3 days and did not experience one single sit where nobody scored. Jim says he averages a shot opportunity every 3 sits, but the number I observed was much higher. The hogs seem to be a little more elusive than the deer but we still saw quiet a few.  I saw a 200lb and 120lb hog taken while I was there and I doubt you'd want to deal with one much bigger. I didn't go on the alligator hunt but some other guys did while I was there and where blown away by the experience. Jim can get you any size gator you're interested in from little guys in local ponds to dinosaurs on the coast.

The Hunt

Every morning we'd have a meeting at breakfast where Jim would outline what stands would work with the days wind conditions, terrain preference of the hunter, and game of interest. As a group with the hunters and guides we'd decide where we each wanted to go. The guides would then put us out, maybe an hour before sun up. Gun hunters are put in large comfortable custom tower stands with roofs and skirts for cover. Bow hunters were put in ground blinds or more conventional ladder stands. After about 4 hours they'd come gather all the hunters and any animals that were easily located. We'd meet back at the lodge where we'd pick up Jim's trailing dog and go out to find the rest of the animals. After everyone was back and all animals recovered we'd take pictures, make arrangements for taxidermy or butchering and the guides would start logging statistics about each harvest and skinning out the animals. Next we'd have lunch then just hangout or nap before out afternoon meeting. The afternoon meeting was the same as the morning meeting with Jim and the guides evaluating conditions and animal sightings and helping hunters decided where they wanted to go on Jim's 4000+ acres of hunting paradise. Again they'd put us out and collect us at dark and the cycle would repeat itself with dinner and guys hanging out before bed. Again not one sit, we had at minimum 6 guys out, went without an animal harvested.

The Guides

The guides are all friendly, knowledgeable and professional. They do everything possible to make sure you get shot opportunities and recover whatever you shoot at. They also take care of skinning your kill and getting it off to the butcher and or taxidermist, I have to say I was most impressed with Jim's own 14yr old son. After coming home from school and doing his homework he'd strap on a 1911 and get to work putting out and collecting hunters and tracking and recovering game until bed time. He was unbelievably polite, knowledgeable and professional. He even sorted out my rifle for me.

Downsides

Heat, humidity, bugs ~ all out of the outfitter's control so we won't hold it against him.

Overall

I just got back and I'm already thinking about booking another trip down! I fully expect to someday be taking my kids to Red Bluff when Jim's boy is running the place and Jim is taking it easy.

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

I went down there this August.  Got a small velvet buck.  I agree with everything you said.  Jim is a great guy.  One thing I'd add is you can leave your deer there, they butcher it and mail it to you.  That was really nice.  I didn't want to keep having to ice deer quarters on my trip back.  Their also doing a euro mount for me and mailing that as well.  

Edited by dlist777

Place is great. I've known Mr Boone and family pretty much my whole life. Been going there religiously for the past 5-6 years and have always harvested an animal. Was down there this year right after the hurricane. Hunting was slow but someone (from NJ) tagged this buck below. Thing was an absolute freak in person.

920892ED-2A9B-4995-9E87-D79F8669E21E.jpeg

8F55139D-AABF-460F-B658-4F8B0CF13B62.jpeg

Edited by Tbryant