IGNORED

bear harvest numbers are low

mazzgolf

I doubt we'll hit half what the numbers were last year. IMO, the weather is the cause - hunters stayed home due to the rain, and the bears stayed home due to the heat. I also still think the large harvest last year helped thin out the numbers. I think this year's hunt just shows what a success the management hunt last year was. I bet the number of reported bear encounters was lower than years past, too.

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2017/10/bear_hunt_totals_for_second_day_show_slight_increa.html

The N.J. bear hunt enters a third day Wednesday well behind last year's record-setting pace and is on track to become one of the least successful of the eight hunts held under Gov. Chris Christie.

Another 56 bears were killed on Tuesday, bringing the two-day total to 82, the state Department of Environmental Protection said.

By comparison, during the first two days last year, hunters killed 306 bears -- including 206 on opening day. That was nearly half of the final total of 636, for a 12-day hunt that concluded with a second, six-day season in December.

The two-day total this year is by far the lowest of the eight bear hunts held annually starting in 2010, during Christie's first year in office.

In 2013, hunters killed 132 bears in the first two days, en route to a record low final tally of 251.

Until Monday, when only 26 bears were killed, the previous lowest opening day total was 93 in 2013, according to DEP records.

i can see numbers are down with my own eyes, year after year since hunt was brought back.  I would say they just about where they need to be - which should be few and far between. 

Weather always has some impact with any season/animal/harvest - but for sure the numbers have nearly been brought down and the fall hunt last year was a huge reason.   It was long overdue, and that should be the hunt they keep going forward, and maybe drop the 6-day firearm hunt - if anything is dropped. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

i can see numbers are down with my own eyes, year after year since hunt was brought back.  I would say they just about where they need to be - which should be few and far between. 

I agree 100%.  We have apple trees and 3 years ago we had bears in the yard everyday.  At one point we had 8 different bears in the yard munching on apples.  This year the apples are littering the ground untouched.  If we're lucky we have one bear sighting every 2 weeks.  

I would love to see them get rid of these short seasons and allow you to buy a tag that is good for the entire hunting season. It's sucks having to take time off of work only to have the weather screw you on those days.

We have one minor problem though-MURPHY!

Edited by 3 Blade

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

There has been a surplus of natural foods for the bears this year. Baited sites are not thier primary food source. Because of these factors, bears have been very hit or miss on baits. I have observed (on 8 bait sites) plenty of different bears on each site are only coming in for a quick bite then moving off to eat natural foods (mostly acorns). My bears are always in the immediate area of my baits everyday but "on" the baits every few days. I guided a friend Tuesday and seen 6 bears before she shot hers. Not one bear was eating my bait. Plus, 80 plus degrees, a winter coat, and a layer of fat will damper movement!