Gobblengrunt

Nice 8pt down trad style!

The last couple of weeks have been very slow for me finding big deer on public land. I spooked my target buck (150" plus) early in the season one morning and never seen him or got a pic of him again! After endless scouting and putting out trail cams, I located another big 8pt that I have been hunting for two years in a different area than I've ever seen him in. The sign showed a lot of deer using this area but my new target buck was only seen on cam in the dark going into a new bedding area. I decided to hunt this area for the first time ever this morning because of the sign, cameras don't tell everything. I walked the 1.5 mile back and settled in my tree by 530 am. I seen a few does at 7 am and thought its always a great day in Jersey's "big" woods when you see any deer. At 8am I watched a beautiful 4pt make his way to the white oak I was using as a "feeder". He gorged himself on acorns when he suddenly went on high alert looking intensely at something behind me. I heard quiet steps coming to my direction. I could not move but watching the 4pt's reaction, I assumed it was a bear coming. As this animal walked towards me, I was surprised to see a real nice 8pt that I have never layed eyes on appear at 10 yards! I knew I wanted him immediately. After a few tense moments, this buck gave me a nice 15 yard broadside shot. My 43# recurve zipped a Magnus stinger through both lungs. My buck ran about 125 yards before expiring. Stingers put an easy blood trail to follow. Took me a little over 2 hours to get him out of the woods! Happy day! Thanks for looking

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

Edited by Gobblengrunt
  • Agree 43

beautiful buck

I rotated your pictures for ya 

Nice one I screwed up on one like that Saturday evening failed to go thru my mental check list before and while drawing damn, congrats on pulling it off again.

Great buck Gobblengrunt, love those thick heavy antlers.  Congratulations.   :up:  :up:

Beautiful buck Ronnie! Love the dark heavy rack. Well done bro  :up:  :up: