IGNORED

State to stock 10K fewer birds!

GhostBear

Its a shame..

In reference to the increased number along the Delaware.. I made many attempts to try and find those birds. Never saw any notable increase in 2016 vs. 2015 and back. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion / input on the increased stocking numbers along the Delaware. Does anyone find birds there in any concentration? I wish the state provided more input as to where they are actually stocking the birds along the Delaware. I have laminated copies of all the stocked WMA's.. but both he north south and central areas are all rather expansive, and I have received first hand information that stocking occurs along areas in between those stretches which are technically "un stocked"  

My opinion is it is a less than ideal area to stock birds in. Habitat along the Delaware I feel is less than ideal as compared to the WMA's such as flatbrook (I'm only referencing flatbrook as it is the area I am most knowlegable and experienced in).I've hunted the land along the Delaware many time, and it seems like birds scatter there and don't hold in stocking areas as well. I mean I've personally seen pheasants literally fly across the Delaware when they bump early.. enjoy PA

Paul, the Rockport pheasant farm does the same thing the Pequest hatchery does which is under promise on numbers and then over deliver. Some of that is protecting themselves if they do have a bad rearing year for birds or trout and some is marketing.

Welcome UplandHunter75. Last year's allocation changes were far more dramatic than I know I expected for those of us up north. And I absolutely noticed that all shots were taken right away in the killing fields and few shots heard by 8am on. But that is different than how many birds will be released this year and I haven't heard anything out of the norm yet in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Welcome Bucksnbows.

I totally agree.. the changes up north due to the allocation program were much more dramatic and felt then I feel myself or anyone else would have expected. That being said, I wish the state would recognize that and at least speak to it. Release a statement of how the stocking will be handled going forward under the new allocation, at least address the fact the change was strongly felt but hunters in the region, give the states opinion as to whether or not they felt it was successful or not, will the be continuing on this path, are there planned deviations? Something.. anything... 

A lot of questions I think should be answered... and especially considering the fact that the program is primarily funded via a hunter paid stamp you think they would at least provide some transparency and information (unless they have and I'm complexly naïve to it)

Under promise? No, not even close, they've been under producing since the 2011 storm incident! Then a few yearsafter that they lose like 15K chicks because they got the brooder design wrong! Square instead of round I'm no biologist but even I know that!, they've been steadily stocking less and less, it was way better as little as 12 years ago compared with today, IMO it's laziness on their part nothing else, and it's going to cost them stamp sales if the keep shorting birds, it's the number one gripe I hear, "where the hell are the birds?!"lol, they have the land and resources to raise way more than they do, and if it's feed costs which to me is BS, then use a money order to pay for it instead of a check stamped Fish and Wildlife and they may get a better deal! They have like 10 acres of pens across the street that hasn't had birds in them for almost 15 years!, bottom line is they used to put out and raise way more birds 15 years ago then they do now, and every year they put fewer. That's just my observation only.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I hunt black River for years and last year was to he worsted year ever . I have never seen so few birds then last year . Like said above this is going to hurt stamp sales. If they do not change something . I just pick up a lab puppy last year so I will hunt this year if it not better. He will become a house dog and I will trap instead .

The truth is that reallocation was fair, but they should have eased into it and not done it so drastically. They will lose stamp sales up north for certain and my guess is they won't make up those losses with more birds in pork roll territory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What they should have done was raise more birds if they wanted to put some down that way, we get ZERO quail up here so now you're getting less for the 40 bucks, which by the way is more than the firearms license. Like I said, they did a better job 15 years ago with way more birds than now, and the stamp was half as much. Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread inspired me to create an account and chime in.

I'd like to just share my feelings on the stocking program. Last year I did notice what seemed like a significant drop off in the quality of the pheasant season. I know the reduction is directly tied to the allocation program, but I felt as thought they way the handled the stocking with the reduced number of birds was VERY poorly handled. My favorite pheasant hunting area, near Roy tract bridge in Flatbrook WMA went from an enjoyable area to hunt in 2015, to a dead, quite, bird less area in 2016.  

This area when stocked at the old allocation numbers had lots of birds in the thick stuff that were around all week. I'm a young guy who has no problem trudging into the thickest of the thick to find birds and last year they were simply not there. Some Saturdays by 9AM you would not hear a shot all day. It was almost Erie. The sediment was shared by most of the hunters I passed by in that area.

Back to my point of on how I feel the stocking of the reduced number of birds was poorly handed... I feel they took the reduced numbers of birds, and just dump the majority "killing fields" up front, where the orange army lines up shoulder to shoulder, and the back fields and off the beaten path areas took the brunt of the reduction. I thought the point of the reallocation was to spread hunters out.. safety.. make it a more enjoyable experience.

If my feelings are correct, and they are taking the reduced number of birds per WMA and just dumping them all into the "killing fields" and the smaller and off the beaten path areas which used to receive birds are taking the brunt of the reduction.. well then this whole plan seems to be handled completely incorrectly... spread the birds out within the WMA. Stop feeding the hundred guys who was to take a 5 minute walk to the end of a field every morning and go home.. stock the birds for guys who want to actually upland bird hunt.

My 2 cents.. wonder if its shared. If not.. no hard feelings! I'm excited for the season and will be out there regaurdless

:happywave:  :welcome:  :welcome:  :clapping:  :cheers:  :cheers:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

There was a problem at the Rockport farm this year. High mortality rate of pheasant chicks from two vendors. This is written in the latest Federation of Sportsmens Clubs newsletter !

wait, they used to breed thier own, when the hell did they start buying chicks?!

Welcome to the site Uplandhunter 75  :up:

Last season my son and I did very well along the Delaware River and in Walpack thanks to the allocation program. Fewer guys, lots of birds, much safer and most were shot without a dog. The cost of the stamp is well worth it in my eyes. The birds were gorgeous and we many times limited out before school started... I was able to get him there before his 1st class which was cool...

thumbnail_Resized_32430.jpg

Edited by LPJR

Nice first post Upland 75, your spot on.  I saw a Huge reduction in birds in the north, some areas are un-huntable.  I got calls from other hunters last season, asking about the lack of birds.  On big stocking days I hear 5/6 birds shot with 30/40 hunters, all over in a hour or less, lot of bitching going on.   I live 8 mins from Clinton WMA , in there about a dozen times, saw 1 bird, 50 % of the time I don't carry a gun in there.  I travel to hunt now, 1 to 1 1/2 hours just to find a safe area that has a few birds.  I don't think getting 30/40 shooters to line up with a couple of guys walking in early to shoot 6 birds is safe or enjoyable. 

NJ Stocking #'s   2015  55K total     North Total 29K   Clinton   4,630   Flatbrook   6,460    Black River   4,460  Birds   

2016                                                 Clinton   3,610   Flatbrook   4,240    Black River   3,330  Birds

2017  41K total     North Total 15K   Clinton   2,560   Flatbrook   2,650    Black River   2,200 Birds

I don't think they are releasing the numbers they say they are, I don't see that many birds.  On the positive side I do see some attempts at improving the field conditions.  Lots of Sorghum being planted, clustered not in rows, like it should be.  I just don't like the direction this is headed.  

Edited by DonT