IGNORED

Hunter shoots dog

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

This is terrible.. copied form facebook:

Photo of dog is the one on the left...

From Readington resident Elizabeth Mongno. 10 Old Readington Rd. I included the address only as a reference to where the hunter was hunting.

"My dog was shot and killed last night. I was walking around 7, and he must've seen some deer, he took off into the woods. There is a small section of woods that connects a bunch of our properties. I called him right away, loudly enough that not so close neighbors heard me, and followed him. Within a minute, a man shot our sweet dog, Tonka, with a cross bow. He was killed within 200 feet of our house and several other houses (that also have small children). The man claimed that my dog looked like a coyote, even though he was there to kill deer. My dog had stopped running before he was shot...probably about to come back home. The police and game warden confirmed that my dog does not look like a coyote. "Hunters" should know what they're shooting before they shoot, especially with a scope. He had a collar on and was clearly someone's dog. Never in a million years could I have imagined that this would happen. The man who killed my dog had permission from one of the neighbors to hunt on their property. How can this be allowed? There is essentially a stranger with a gun in the woods. My 9 year old usually has him on a leash running all over the place. Thank God he wasn't there with him. I'm telling you this because I love this town and I wouldn't want to this happen to anyone. This man will be fined and probably lose his hunting license for a few years, but that will never replace the pain or the hole in our heart that our family has. We live in a community. There are children everywhere. How can hunting be allowed so close to so many homes? How can people with guns, who don't live in our town, be allowed to walk the woods? I was following Tonka, if the man had misfired, that cross bow could've headed my way. There must be a way to change the rules. We don't live in the sticks. Our houses might not be on top of one another, but I can see many neighbors from here. There are so many kids in this area. I understand that you are allowed to hunt on your property and I acknowledge that my dog left our property but that not an excuse to kill someones dog (the sweetest of dogs that was wearing a collar). How is it ok that we can let anyone into our community with a weapon so close to our homes, without telling the other neighbors? You can shoot with a cross bow >150 ft from a home...but the bow can travel further!? How do I explain to my 3 and 9 year old that their 1 year old dog was shot and killed right outside of their home? My 3 year old won't remember, but my 9 year old, who cried himself to sleep lastnight, is forever scarred and will probably never want to play in the woods again. The man who killed Tonka left the woods and then called the police AFTER we had found him and after he heard me screaming and after we had called the police. I wonder if he would've turned himself in if we didn't find Tonka. Our home feels empty and our hearts are very broken today. That's the end of my rant, but not the end of my new mission to make a charge."065d77ef5e9576e2bc11bc1369ab8b3c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I couldn't imagine someone shooting my dog. I don't leash her, and she never has a collar on unless we leave the property.

I hope this person really did think it was a coyote- although if that the case, c'mon! When in doubt, don't shoot! Especially you're in a residential area and the odds of of being a dog are high. Know your target and beyond. He just turned a non hunter into an anti hunter, and took someone's pet's life. Terrible decision making. If you're that eager on squeezing the trigger you should not be in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It sucks that the guy was a dusche and shot her dog, but she sounds stupid saying the "crossbow" could hit her or her kids, it's clear the guy shot her dog, take it out on him, but leave other hunters alone, she's a newly minted anti with a chip on her shoulder, and she'll blame everyone who hunts rather than just the D-bag that shot her dog.

Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Horrible story! My heart goes out to that family. I can't see how you mistake a dog with a collar for a yote.  If you are in a residential area you have to be extra careful when looking to shoot a yote, always assume first it is someone's pet before squeezing that trigger.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

It sucks that the guy was a dusche and shot her dog, but she sounds stupid saying the "crossbow" could hit her or her kids, it's clear the guy shot her dog, take it out on him, but leave other hunters alone, she's a newly minted anti with a chip on her shoulder, and she'll blame everyone who hunts rather than just the D-bag that shot her dog.

It only takes one moron to ruin it for everyone else. I do feel bad for her and her family. This is why we need to be extra careful out there because the non hunting public doesn't understand hunting. They know we are armed and near their homes and when shit like this happens they will not be willing to give us a second chance.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

All I'm saying is make the guy pay through the nose, take his license for life, I feel he did it intentionally, but now this women is going to go all out batshit crazy to ban hunting altogether, lumping everyone else into the same category as that asshat.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Where is there huntable land around her house?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10+Old+Readington+Rd,+Whitehouse+Station,+NJ+08889/@40.5968505,-74.7790444,848m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c392a62eea6e47:0xd4ebcfc0af011e90!8m2!3d40.5977896!4d-74.7771215

You'd have to hunt from your back porch even though there is some space around those houses.  They're all McMansions, which screams "liberals" to me.

I am skeptical, but that's my nature.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10+Old+Readington+Rd,+Whitehouse+Station,+NJ+08889/@40.5968505,-74.7790444,848m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c392a62eea6e47:0xd4ebcfc0af011e90!8m2!3d40.5977896!4d-74.7771215

You'd have to hunt from your back porch even though there is some space around those houses.  They're all McMansions, which screams "liberals" to me.

yeah, something don't smell right with that, that sattilite veiw don't show much in the way of huntible land near there.

It only takes one moron to ruin it for everyone else.

Take a look at that FB page and you'll see real evidence of that.  

People saying they need to remove the 150 foot provision, people saying all hunters hunting on other's property should carry insurance, others saying hunting must be banned in residential areas....period, etc....   One moron pulls a trigger, and he's created about 100 anti-hunters.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

You're looking at that map wrong or something.   Plenty of huntable land, GORGEOUS land in fact, right behind her house.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775