IGNORED

Homebrew Takedown Recurve... Anybody Done It?

Bully

I'm thinking about it.  Nothing too fancy.  Walnut and ash laminated riser.  I may buy limbs or may make them, not 100% on it.  Either way it's a project I'm considering.  

I'm going to grab the plans from Bingham's.  I figure I'll use a plan that's proven instead of coming up with something that isn't gonna work.  

Has anyone done it and is willing to offer some tips?  

I used to be "Topher"

I'm thinking about it.  Nothing too fancy.  Walnut and ash laminated riser.  I may buy limbs or may make them, not 100% on it.  Either way it's a project I'm considering.  

I'm going to grab the plans from Bingham's.  I figure I'll use a plan that's proven instead of coming up with something that isn't gonna work.  

Has anyone done it and is willing to offer some tips?  

I think taking a doe with a bow you made yourself would be more rewarding than taking a buck with a gun. Good luck with it and lets see some pics as you go

There is surely a guy on here that can tell you how to build a hickory longbow!

Going with a recurve otherwise I would have reached out.

Yeah, I would completely screw up trying to glue thin sheets of wood together. No patience for that.  Now crudely hacking out a solid piece of hickory into a bow is more my style.

The couple of pieces of yours that I have seen are far from crude. Elegant. Beautiful. Stunning. Probably better adjectives to use.

The hardware for the takedown sleeve is most important...dont skim for cheap there. Buy the best

Recurve with bolted on limbs. No sleeves.

I used to be "Topher"

So I have a general plan: 45-50# @28" 60"AMO.

My question(s) right now are on material choices for the riser. I'm seriously contemplating building it out of my own "micarta" materiel. I have made it in the past with old jeans and fiberglass resin and am thinking of doing something similar for the riser. I would want to add a wood accent beam and will laminate everything together.

My first question is: is the 'glass resin resilient enough to handle building a bow out of? I'm not a competitor but the bow will get shot. I hope to hunt it as well.

Second question: What epoxy would I use to laminate everything together? Will the "normal" epoxys used in riser construction work with the homegrown micarta?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I used to be "Topher"

I know "Smooth on" makes a glue for laminating bow limbs.. that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject tho..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You're one up on me then.

Researching like mad right now. Figuring out how I want to build this thing, what I want it to look like, and what materials I want to use.

I used to be "Topher"

Change of plan...

I did a relatively short 4 hour sit this morning.  Afterward I realized that I was by a lumber yard that generally has some beautiful wood.  So I swung by to see if they had anything that I might be interested in for short money.  They did.  I scored a 35 x 14 3.4 x 1 7/8" piece of walnut.  It's 3 pieced glued together however for my purposes it should do just fine.  I'll be ripping it apart to use the good piece.  The piece cost less than the epoxy for my original plan and I'll probably sell the "scraps" on Ebay once I get to that point.  

Looks like a walnut riser is in the works now.  

I used to be "Topher"