IGNORED

Crossfit - Experiences and Opinions

Haskell_Hunter

I need to get out of this chair that has trapped me in front of a computer.  I was looking into things that would motivate me and provide a competitive workout, and Crossfit came to mind.  I've seen some interviews with the founder and started doing some web research.

Has anyone ever participated in these workout?  I'm sure some of you healthy folks know more about this than I do, so inform away.  I'd rather have an informed position prior to actually doing anything.

I don't mind a workout that's going to beat the everliving crap out of me.  I am stubborn and very competitive, and it's those aspects that I think will motivate me to move my fat ass.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I did Crossfit for around 1.5-2 years.  It's an excellent physical workout, I got into some of the best shape I've ever been.  However, the main issue I have with it is the "rushed" nature of time based workouts.  NEVER forego technique for the sake of getting a quick rep.  Unfortunately this style of workout pushes people to want to get a rep to get better times vs focusing on consistent good technique.  The coaches are all about technique, but it's large classes and students often are sloppy or rush technique for a rep.  In addition, Crossfit pushes you to absolute muscle failure over and over, which as the benefit of significant strength gains over time...but as your muscle fatigue increases, your technique goes out the window...while the clock is running and you're trying to get reps.  I've seen a number of injuries occur in my time there, all of which are avoidable if you take your time and have control over technique.  Unfortunately, I too suffered injuries to my rotators doing overhead lifts...long story, but as mindful as I was, my lack of flexibility doesn't allow for it and it eventually compounded to those injuries.  I spent over a year diligently (maniacally) stretching every day for literally 3-4 HOURS a day (no joke) to try to improve flexibility but it just wouldn't last.  I visited chiros, PTs, acupuncture, sports medicine, massage therapy, even Rothman Institute...all to no avail.  Ultimately I had to give it up, as I wasn't willing to risk the injuries.  But that's ME, my limitations.  Just something to be mindful of if you pursue it.  Be very aware of your limitations, and don't push them or it could lead to injury.  Fortunately I've recovered since then, but it sucked for awhile.

Bowhunter beat me to it.  Crossfit is basically just a fancy (and expensive) way for people to get together and do HIIT workouts.  You can most certainly do that on your own.  

My biggest contention with CF is that the entire concept of their program is based on timing or max repping particular lifts that are not intended to be done that way.  Like Bowhunter stated, this causes sloppy technique and will ALWAYS lead to injury.  

If you want to train with weights (which I'd highly recommend) and you like professional atmosphere, find yourself a decent powerlifting gym and join.  You'll learn how to do the big lifts, with proper form and in a controlled setting. You won't get this kind of training from any kind of "personal trainer"  :rofl: at a box gym.  They'll tell you dumb stuff like "don't squat, it's bad for your knees" or "don't deadlift, it's bad for your back."  

Since you are an intellectual, I'd recommend the latest edition of "Starting Strength"  read it cover to cover, then read it again and get in the gym.  One of my good buddies is a Starting Strength coach and they even do online coaching nowadays.  

If you need any help or advice with this stuff, PM or email me and I'll get you started.  

Bowhunter nailed it. I too did cross fit religiously for a few years and you get in sick shape but for me it tore m shoulders apart and it took me almost a year to full recover. You can still do functional training but technique is everything as stated above. You are better off getting 8 reps perfect than 10 with the last two sacrificing technique and possibly injuring yourself. Good luck

If you want to train with weights (which I'd highly recommend) and you like professional atmosphere, find yourself a decent powerlifting gym and join.  You'll learn how to do the big lifts, with proper form and in a controlled setting. You won't get this kind of training from any kind of "personal trainer"  :rofl: at a box gym.  They'll tell you dumb stuff like "don't squat, it's bad for your knees" or "don't deadlift, it's bad for your back."  

Since you are an intellectual, I'd recommend the latest edition of "Starting Strength"  read it cover to cover, then read it again and get in the gym.  One of my good buddies is a Starting Strength coach and they even do online coaching nowadays.  

I need more than weights, and I liked their general approach to fitness.  I'm not too worried about making reps and time, I am very technique-driven, probably to a fault.

I also don't read.  I can count the books I've ever read on one hand, so that's not going to happen.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I've lost 25 pounds doing Krav Maga.  A lot of fun, intense, and you get to kick people in the nuts.  Knife defense, guns, car jacking.  Blue Titan Fitness and Self Defense in Rockaway.  Join me tomorrow at 7am.  

I'd love to join you for the workout, but I'm in Atlanta through September at least.  I was planning to start working out in October.

The other thing that is somewhat deterring me from working out with you is that you enjoy kicking people in the nuts.  I like to keep mine unbruised.  But thank you for the offer!   :shock:  :rofl:

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I need more than weights, and I liked their general approach to fitness.  I'm not too worried about making reps and time, I am very technique-driven, probably to a fault.

I also don't read.  I can count the books I've ever read on one hand, so that's not going to happen.  But thanks for the suggestion.

I'd avoid a CF box like the plague.  

Have you considered doing something more active then?  Take up boxing, krav maga (like Lady Bird suggested), buy a mountain bike, join an adult sports league or a yoga studio, etc.  

There are 2 main questions:  

1-What are your goals?

2-What do you enjoy doing?

I can tell you that lifting heavy weights is probably the best thing you can do for yourself, but if you hate weights, then you're only going to stick with it for a month or two before you quit.  The key is to do what you love to do and then you'll do it for the rest of your life

Edited by not on the rug

As someone that has lost a combined 305# in my lifetime....the best advice I can give is: DO SOMETHING! Anything! and STICK WITH IT!

Just start moving more. Sitting all day behind a screen is killing you.

In the last year I've dropped about 90# now....and I don't do any "routines". I roofed and sided my parents house in my spare time, I am fixing up my brothers house. I fished (wading) and scouted deer as much as possible in the Winter and Spring. I take hikes, I do pushups and pullups and other stuff when I  feel like it. (can't do much of shit with my bad finger for the past month but it is what it is).

Get active with activities you will enjoy and stick with and don't be a lazy phuck. It's really that easy. Oh and clean up your diet.

Glad to see you motivated. Now get going, health doesn't wait till October. Move your ass now.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

As someone that has lost a combined 305# in my lifetime....the best advice I can give is: DO SOMETHING! Anything! and STICK WITH IT!

Just start moving more. Sitting all day behind a screen is killing you.

In the last year I've dropped about 90# now....and I don't do any "routines". I roofed and sided my parents house in my spare time, I am fixing up my brothers house. I fished (wading) and scouted deer as much as possible in the Winter and Spring. I take hikes, I do pushups and pullups and other stuff when I  feel like it. (can't do much of shit with my bad finger for the past month but it is what it is).

Get active with activities you will enjoy and stick with and don't be a lazy phuck. It's really that easy. Oh and clean up your diet.

Glad to see you motivated. Now get going, health doesn't wait till October. Move your ass now.

Awesome advice.  

I especially like the "clean up your diet" part.  Body comp is about 80% of what you put in your face and how much of it you put there.  

Your grandma was right...you are what you eat.  Also remember that you are what you eat eats.  Clean up your diet but remember to eat quality foods as well.   

I've lost 25 pounds doing Krav Maga.  A lot of fun, intense, and you get to kick people in the nuts.  Knife defense, guns, car jacking.  Blue Titan Fitness and Self Defense in Rockaway.  Join me tomorrow at 7am.  

I thumbsed up this for the weight loss....Not the nut kicking. Just to be clear. lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Another thing about Crossfit I didn't like is kipping pullups.  My shoulder flexibility literally wouldn't allow me to do them, which I was fine with...strict ones are way better for you anyway. Just made workouts that much tougher as people are kipping (momentum based swing pullups) while you're doing stricts.

I like the recommendation of boxing, there's no doubt you'll get a great cardio workout from it and a ton of arm and leg work.  Throw in a solid diet and you'll be kicking ass and dragging Rusty's deer out for him! :rofl:

Another thing about Crossfit I didn't like is kipping pullups.  My shoulder flexibility literally wouldn't allow me to do them, which I was fine with...strict ones are way better for you anyway. Just made workouts that much tougher as people are kipping (momentum based swing pullups) while you're doing stricts.

I like the recommendation of boxing, there's no doubt you'll get a great cardio workout from it and a ton of arm and leg work.  Throw in a solid diet and you'll be kicking ass and dragging Rusty's deer out for him! :rofl:

Don't even get me started on kipping...

Boxing is great.  It's my favorite form of cardio (besides sex) and just a ton of fun to do.  It can come in handy every so often too.  Like when you have to punch a crossfitter in the face for trying to sell you on the virtues of kipping pullups or doing deadlifts for time.