IGNORED

Hobby Farm Families?

Swamp_Yankee

We're going to be moving in about a month to a couple of acres nestled among 250 acres of preserved farmland.  Great hunting spot set back on a gravel road with a pond, etc...but our girls are really excited about getting animals.  We're starting with chickens but will probably be into goats and sheep before we know it.  Last night at a get together we met a classmate of my daughter's who raises Nigerian Dwarfs.  I may actually try to use goats to clear a small area around the pond eventually.  Anybody else out there raising animals/doing 4H with the kids?  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Thanks all-would love to get in the tree by the rut but it's going to tough-the honey do list grows every day  :eek:  I should be clear by six day though.  

I've been involved with the 4H for 8 years now, my two older kids joined a 4H shooting club called Claybusters (Morris County). We also raise animals on a hobby farm and have entered them in the 4H fair. We have raised sheep, rabbits, pigs, chickens - both egg and meat, a couple of goats and a couple of horses. Have fun with your new place, it looks awesome.

I've been involved with the 4H for 8 years now, my two older kids joined a 4H shooting club called Claybusters (Morris County). We also raise animals on a hobby farm and have entered them in the 4H fair. We have raised sheep, rabbits, pigs, chickens - both egg and meat, a couple of goats and a couple of horses. Have fun with your new place, it looks awesome.

Welcome to the site GP.   :up:

Awesome-we've got a 4H shooting club out our way called the Hunterdon Deadeyes. I'm going to start my girls (6 and 3) out with chickens to get them acquainted with basic care and feeding, etc...then if all goes well I'll look into goats. What breeds of chicken have you had? I'd like to start with some gentler breeds that are easy for the girls to handle and then over time get some that are better foragers. From what I've heard the breeds that forage really well aren't usually that fond of being handled.