IGNORED

Do I "WANT" a Recurve...?

Bully

I have a very nice compound bow that I plan to hunt until I can't draw it any longer.  I went full nuts on it and don't regret it at all.  However I love simplicity and am wondering if a reasonably priced traditional bow, such as a Martin Jaguar or Samik Sage might be a bit of fun when I'm poking holes in my yard.  You know, a relatively simple take-down stick and string.  Something I can keep in the trunk in a small bag and if I happen to be somewhere I can shoot, well then, I can go shoot.  No fuss, no muss.   

What say y'all

I used to be "Topher"

When it comes to archery, there is nothing more enjoyable or rewarding than shooting instinctively.  

Even though I had killed numerous deer, I just about fell out of the tree after shooting my first deer with a bare bow from the adrenaline rush that I got.  

Edited by Rusty

When it comes to archery, there is nothing more enjoyable or rewarding than shooting instinctively.  

Even though I had killed numerous deer, I just about fell out of the tree after shooting my first deer with a bare bow from the adrenaline rush that I got.  

I'm pretty new to hunting.  Took my first deer last season.  I bought a new bow as a reward to me.  But for fussing around in my extremely small yard and as said, keeping it in the trunk of the car, I'm thinking that a recurve could fill a little nook.  Just simple, fun and easy.  I wouldn't hunt this season with it but next will roll around soon enough.  

I used to be "Topher"

Or very frustrating when you suck at it :happywave:

Go for it! Keeping it in the trunk of a car is the only thing I would advise against though. During cooler months, trunk storage is not an issue, but when temps get hot, it has the potential to destroy your stick and string.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Toper,

You don't want a recurve, you NEED a recurve.

Try getting a used bow if price is a concern.

Another option would be to get a LONGBOW.

The Longbow is pure simplistic pleasure.

The Longbow will not pinch your fingers, and is very smooth on the draw, can shoot heavier arrows, and is whisper quiet.

The recurve due to its shorter length, may cause finger pain on the draw when shooting with a finger glove.

For a recurve I would recommend using a "Tab", to draw the string back.

Recurves in my opinion, are noisy due to string slap on the limbs, too short in length causing finger pain, need to dial in the arrow spline more precisely, and in my opinion are not as stable shooting from awkward positions.

Just dump the training wheels and step up to using what today is now called "Traditional Archery".

It does take practice, like any skill worth while to pursue.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Recurves and longbows are a lot of fun. Having the right bow for you will enhance your shooting ability. I would NOT get a Martin jaguar as its design sucks and will work against you! A samick sage is a great starter bow and shooter. I wouldn't recommend any weight over 35# until your form comes together and accuracy follows. There are tons of used bows you can pick up for around $100 that are great shooters. Also, don't leave any bow in your car for extended periods of time especially if strung, heat will delaminate and destroy bows! Good luck

Recurves and longbows are a lot of fun. Having the right bow for you will enhance your shooting ability. I would NOT get a Martin jaguar as its design sucks and will work against you! A samick sage is a great starter bow and shooter. I wouldn't recommend any weight over 35# until your form comes together and accuracy follows. There are tons of used bows you can pick up for around $100 that are great shooters. Also, don't leave any bow in your car for extended periods of time especially if strung, heat will delaminate and destroy bows! Good luck

Cool.  Thanks much to you and Matty.  I didn't think of the damage that heat would do to a bow.  Too early in the AM for clear thinking.  

I'd love to find something used.  30-35#.  I'm just starting to look so hopefully something will pop up in the classifieds that isn't too far away.  

Thanks also on the tip about the Martin.  It looks cool but if it doesn't work, I'll pass.  

I would like a recurve so I can mount a small quiver and a rest.  My kid has a little fiberglass "longbow" and although I know it's not the same as a bigger/better model, I don't enjoy shooting without a rest of some sort.  I would also potentially hunt it out of my stand(s) so something a bit shorter would make me more comfortable.  I currently shoot a 30" ATA bow and am a fan of light and tight bows.  

Edited by Topher

I used to be "Topher"

For me, there's little difference between shooting a compound and shooting a crossbow.  You line up the sights, squeeze the trigger, and hit the target.  It's purely technical.  Shooting instinctively is a completely different ball game.    

Flinging arrows with a recurve or longbow is the cheapest therapy out there. I have both a longbow and recurve. The recurve is my favorite but the longbow is more forgiving of user error and much quieter. The bear Montana is a good entry level long bow but a recurve like the sage will allow you to move up in poundage as you progress. WARNING ⚠ I started out with one recurve and now have over a dozen. It becomes addictive.

The recurve is my favorite but the longbow is more forgiving of user error and much quieter. 

I agree, like Howard Hill said, "I'm not a good enough shot to use a recurve".   Even the difference between a fiberglass backed long bow and all wood bow is substantial in the way the faster fiberglass bow magnifies the errors.  I really have to screw up to get a "flyer" from my hickory self bows.

I would like a recurve so I can mount a small quiver and a rest.  

My kid has a little fiberglass "longbow" and although I know it's not the same as a bigger/better model, I don't enjoy shooting without a rest of some sort. 

Topher,

FYI, Longbows do have an arrow rest on them.

Do not be fooled by the cheap kids grip, or the "Primitive" style grip without the arrow rest. I think they suck.

Most Longbows have a cut in shelf with an arrow rest that does not require any fancy flips, folding pin rests, or other baloney.

With the long bow you actually shoot off the padded arrow rest.

The rest will usually have a piece of thin leather or cow hide glued onto the shelf.

I was in your shoes many years ago.

I quit using the training wheels, because I wanted something more challenging.

After using kisser buttons, eye peep sights, very short/light arrows, fancy flip arrow rests, vibration dampeners, etc.... I said the hell with all of this fancy stuff.

No is absolutely zero challenge or real skill to keep yourself proficient. 3 days before a hunt you can pick up the training wheels bow and quickly become very proficient.... for me, it became BORING.

Well,  I was thinking about getting a Longbow. But I heard they were very slow, no one uses them anymore, you can shoot an arrow at a target, sit down and light a smoke before the arrow gets to the target, blah, blah, blah.

So following the crowd, I purchased a fast Owen Jeffrey recurve. It took time and skills to make the bow quiet, found ways to prevent any string slap happening on the limbs, took lots of time to dial in the bow to shoot perfect.

The Arrows flew straight if I did my job correctly. And I Took plenty of critters through the years with it also.

But as time went on my wife decided to buy me a fancy pants expensive finger glove.  Being the good husband I am (cough, cough, bull shite). I began to use that finger glove.... That damn thing caused me lots of pain, and bleeding fingers with excessive finger pinch.

I was originally using a "Tab" to shoot for decades, from my old training wheels days.

Well, I looked into the Longbow again, this time with my eyes wide open, and I better educated myself on this very simplistic contraption.

The new Longbows today are very fast shooting, very quiet, come in all sized and lengths, a wide range of hand grip styles, and better made materials.

My major criteria for a bow was it had to be extremely quiet when shooting, no finger pinch, and accurate from all awkward shooting positions.

The longbow does all of these thing for me.

I wish I never listened to those damn magazine writers, and other dipshitz friends who know less than I did, for giving me poor advice from myths, and misinformed hearsay information.

Just take a Look around, who are these expert trick archery shots you read about?

What do all of these professional archers use?

Look closely at their pictures and what they are holding in their hands when shooting coins, aspirins, and other objects out of the air.

Go ahead, you can say it, you know the answer..... A Longbow.

The Longbow is very forgiving of mistakes in release, arrow weight, and body position.

Do your homework, look into what I said here.

Open your eyes and mind.

You will not regret it.

But, don't listen to my plea, because in another 10 years from now you will be kicking yourself in the keister for wasting all of that time shooting something else.

Try using a real Longbow, a quality Longbow, you will never look back.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Topher,

FYI, Longbows do have an arrow rest on them.

Do not be fooled by the cheap kids grip, or the "Primitive" style grip without the arrow rest. I think they suck.

Most Longbows have a cut in shelf with an arrow rest that does not require any fancy flips, folding pin rests, or other baloney.

With the long bow you actually shoot off the padded arrow rest.

The rest will usually have a piece of thin leather or cow hide glued onto the shelf.

I was in your shoes many years ago.

I quit using the training wheels, because I wanted something more challenging.

After using kisser buttons, eye peep sights, very short/light arrows, fancy flip arrow rests, vibration dampeners, etc.... I said the hell with all of this fancy stuff.

No is absolutely zero challenge or real skill to keep yourself proficient. 3 days before a hunt you can pick up the training wheels bow and quickly become very proficient.... for me, it became BORING.

Well,  I was thinking about getting a Longbow. But I heard they were very slow, no one uses them anymore, you can shoot an arrow at a target, sit down and light a smoke before the arrow gets to the target, blah, blah, blah.

So following the crowd, I purchased a fast Owen Jeffrey recurve. It took time and skills to make the bow quiet, found ways to prevent any string slap happening on the limbs, took lots of time to dial in the bow to shoot perfect.

The Arrows flew straight if I did my job correctly. And I Took plenty of critters through the years with it also.

But as time went on my wife decided to buy me a fancy pants expensive finger glove.  Being the good husband I am (cough, cough, bull shite). I began to use that finger glove.... That damn thing caused me lots of pain, and bleeding fingers with excessive finger pinch.

I was originally using a "Tab" to shoot for decades, from my old training wheels days.

Well, I looked into the Longbow again, this time with my eyes wide open, and I better educated myself on this very simplistic contraption.

The new Longbows today are very fast shooting, very quiet, come in all sized and lengths, a wide range of hand grip styles, and better made materials.

My major criteria for a bow was it had to be extremely quiet when shooting, no finger pinch, and accurate from all awkward shooting positions.

The longbow does all of these thing for me.

I wish I never listened to those damn magazine writers, and other dipshitz friends who know less than I did, for giving me poor advice from myths, and misinformed hearsay information.

Just take a Look around, who are these expert trick archery shots you read about?

What do all of these professional archers use?

Look closely at their pictures and what they are holding in their hands when shooting coins, aspirins, and other objects out of the air.

Go ahead, you can say it, you know the answer..... A Longbow.

The Longbow is very forgiving of mistakes in release, arrow weight, and body position.

Do your homework, look into what I said here.

Open your eyes and mind.

You will not regret it.

But, don't listen to my plea, because in another 10 years from now you will be kicking yourself in the keister for wasting all of that time shooting something else.

Try using a real Longbow, a quality Longbow, you will never look back.

Well...  

That'll give me pause.  Thanks.  I'll for sure look into it.

I used to be "Topher"