IGNORED

Anyone trying a stick bow for the first time hunting this season?

JHbowhunter

Just like it says...   How many of you plan on doing a hunt or more, with a stick bow for the very first time or are least contemplating it?

I am on my 3rd season "contemplating" but what always seems to happen is no practice time.  I need some good ol' shaming to get me off my arse and get out there and practice at least 3 times a week.  I am not taking my recurve in the woods unless I am 100% confident I can make the shot at 15 yards or less.  I have not shot in months.  When I do shoot - it is feeling better and more natural each time. I even have a new 3d and a new bag target replacing some shot out ones.  I have not shot the compound either, but that doesn't change much from last year. It looks like about 8 more Saturdays to go, for EAB where there will be EAB.  I really need to focus and do this.  I also need to practice from a stand - something I do with compound but have yet to do with recurve. The extra length in the tree will be a new factor for sure.

I can't say I will turn into Gobblengrunt or Nomad or Jakesbeard with the stick bow, but I need to do this.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

My dad always shot and hunted with stickbows.  He never liked compounds at all.  Personally, I'd love to hunt with a stickbow.  After my dad died I shot his longbow for a while, but just wasn't there mentally and didn't have the time to devote to it.  I ended up selling it to Dan (hammer4reel) because I knew it wold get good use in his hands.  

FFWD a few years, I'd love to find myself a decent recurve and start practicing as much as possible.   99% of my shots are 15yds or so, so I think I could be pretty effective with a stickbow.  At this time, I just don't have the loot to buy anything for myself so I think that will just have to wait.  

My dad always shot and hunted with stickbows. He never liked compounds at all. Personally, I'd love to hunt with a stickbow. After my dad died I shot his longbow for a while, but just wasn't there mentally and didn't have the time to devote to it. I ended up selling it to Dan (hammer4reel) because I knew it wold get good use in his hands.

FFWD a few years, I'd love to find myself a decent recurve and start practicing as much as possible. 99% of my shots are 15yds or so, so I think I could be pretty effective with a stickbow. At this time, I just don't have the loot to buy anything for myself so I think that will just have to wait.

you're welcome to borrow one of mine I have a couple you can choose from I don't use those contraptions any more happy with my Hickorystick Edited by Nomad

I keep telling myself this is the year I retire the crossbow and use the recurve. I have been practicing and 15 yards is good to go but I want to improve my consistency and accuracy before I step out with it. Regardless of if I use the stick bow, it's good mental therapy to fling arrows at the target.

I contemplate it every year, mainly for the bows simplicity.  I have plenty of time, so if I had one I'd be shooting it, but I don't have the spending money right now for another bow set up just to find out I stink with it.  I enjoy hunting with the crossbow, and would continue to do so even if I could get good enough to feel confident killing a deer with traditional gear.    

Longbows and recurves were the only bows from 50,000 years ago until 1970.(yes I know about cross bows). :)   The resurgence of archery in the 30's spear headed by Pope and Young were all men armed with long bows.  They choose the bow because it was a challenge.   Why not just use a bare recurve or long bow like they did? You can do it.  Stop being amazed by carbon, feet per second, lighted sights and releases.  Archery is ancient.  And yes some of those big bucks at your bait piles are going to get away. Get over it... ;)

Edited by Nomad

I am like you Jack, I have thought and thought about it. I used to target shoot a lot with a recurve when about 10 years old at an archery range they had set up in Timberland Lake near Great Adventure and always wanted to pick it back up. The problem was I developed arthritis in both shoulders. I wounded two deer in two days with compound and drove straight to Sportmans center and bought my ten point. But started thinking about a recurve again since my shoulders have not bothered me last couple seasons-- just do not know if my shoulders would allow me to be proficient. So get off your arse and make it happen. LOL.