IGNORED

Clover fertilizer

I am starting a second clover food plot and am wondering what all you guys use as far as a fertilizer goes. The seed I bought suggest 5-15-30 but I can not seem to find any, I checked tractor supply and agway. What are you guys using and where are you getting it from?

Edited by Buck619

What type of clovers are you planting?

For clover, the nitrogen component is less important as clover is a legume and fixes its own nitrogen.

Most clover mixes call for a certain amount per acre of 0-20-20 fertilizer which has no nitrogen. That isn't an easy fertilizer to find and you can mix straight potash(potassium) 0-0-60 and phosphorous 0-42-0 fertilizers toget close to that.

With that being said, we have planted our white clover mix without adding any fertilizer at the start and adding minimal amounts of lime. The plots came out great. We will have to add p&k fertilizer and more lime to extend life of plots.

If I were you, I'd wait to plant until after the heat of summer and target late August/early September...and include rye/oats in your mix. It may not be optimal for the early season here in nj but it takes time for the clover to establish itself anyway...and a lot of clover doesn't grow well in the heat of summer...they prefer the cooler months of spring and fall. it won't be until the following year that you'll see the full potential of the plot. Just make sure to nuke the plot with gly/roundup a week or 2 prior to planting. Then you can come in and lightly disc/till the soil and cultipack. Then broadcast your seed at the recommended rate. Ensure good seed to soil contact but don't bury the seeds deep. They will germinate on top or just pressed into the soil. If they get too deep, they won't germinate. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

For clover, the nitrogen component is less important as clover is a legume and fixes its own nitrogen.

Most clover mixes call for a certain amount per acre of 0-20-20 fertilizer which has no nitrogen. That isn't an easy fertilizer to find and you can mix straight potash(potassium) 0-0-60 and phosphorous 0-42-0 fertilizers toget close to that.

That's some very good information right there.   :up:  :up: