IGNORED

Making archery targets

DBuck

What kind of bow you planning on shooting into these? I'd imagine what you use might drive what to put in there.

Back in the day, I would make archery targets out of exterior insulation from the hardware store.

But I don't think that would stop some of the current higher speed bows or xbows.

This doesn't help with reusing your Omaha coolers, but this is a pretty simple idea, using the same kind of stuff. Compressing it would definitely help. Not sure how long it would last before getting chewed up though:

00small28805220.JPG

3a55ae8e9d3d728d0b04ef2f04258efb.jpg

I've seen guys fill those coolers with expanding foam and shoot broadheads into them.  They worked but didn't hold up long.   If you are going to just shoot field points a cardboard box full of rags/old clothes would work better.  That foam is going to leave little pieces all over the place once you start shooting it.

Cotton rags.  Don't use denim, or other strong fiber cloth.  It can be a pain to pull one out if a thread gets stuck between the point and shaft inside the target, otherwise they come right out, and don't go far in.  Haven't tried the crossbow on it, and it's not for broadheads.  I stuffed a 4'x4' box frame that is 6" thick and wrapped it with linen wallcovering cloth.  Burlap will also work.

That Styrofoam will not hold up very long. I used to frame out 36" x 40"  wood boxes. I'd plywood the sides, back and hinged roof. Then stretch a couple of layers of black weed guard material across the front and staple it fast to the frame and sides. I used everything from discarded shrink wrap and plastic bags to old clothing and textile to stuff it full. Worked pretty well.

I have a few of those coolers that you get food sent in(Omaha steaks, etc),was thinking about making some archery targets out of them. Any suggestions what a good filler would be to use for them?

If you go to archerytalk there are a bunch of great DIY threads on this very subject.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775