IGNORED

Release Aid....Which One Do You Use?

BHC

Speaking of release aids, when my son first started shooting the compound 2 years ago, I started him with a trigger release close to the style of a little goose caliper....Every so often a couple shots go high or low and was thinking would a better release make a difference in his groups.....Every time I bring it up he wishes to stay with what he is comfortable with....Still looking at options..

Plenty of people have success with multiple style releases. High or low misses could be caused by a few different things like pulling too hard or too little (inconsistent) into the wall. Creep tuning. It could be anchor point too. If it were me, Id look into making sure his anchor is rock solid every time to start. For me, that's why I like thumb releases so much. I can lock my index finger under my jaw bone. Im basically straddling my jawbone with my index and middle fingers. Its much more solid for me compared to an index release. Others may feel otherwise. What he should be looking for is, when you pull back with eyes closed, you consistently have the same POV when you open your eyes. Every time. Not pulling back and then adjusting to line up the peep with your sight housing. That will change anchor point and you will have flyers and inconsistent groups. Make those adjustments according to what he sees after pulling back naturally time and time again, with eyes closed. Its amazing how 1/8" or 1/4" difference will make...and could go unnoticed.

I just switched to the scott Longhorn Hex release --  I wasn't happy with smacking a trigger release and target panic  -- needed a change -- the longhorn hex slowed everything down 

I have a few hundred arrows downrange with it now and I like it better every time I shoot it