IGNORED

Single bevel heads

not on the rug

I've been using the Helix heads for a couple years and have no complaints. Every deer dropped in sight, the head continues to spin as it goes through the animal creating more wound channel and the Helix are sharp on the backside so they cut on the way out. Another good feature is the single bevel chisel tip which turns as it hits bone splitting it easier. One thing to be aware of is the way the heads spin need to match the way you're arrow spins, so left fletch needs a left spin head.

If you read Dr. Ashby's studies on broadheads he's concluded that the single bevel is the most lethal on big game. They also fly great being the help steer from the front so if the bow is tuned properly they will fly like lasers.

Edited by Hitemnasty

I have used Zwickey "No mercy" single bevels and have shot a lot of grizzly single bevels as well. They are pretty easy to get a nice edge on, they make a "S" shaped hole going in and coming out.( have taken a few chucks and two does) I wouldn't say they are the broad head to end all broad heads but they work. Its easy to get caught up in all the Ed Ashby stuff about one type of head will give you two hundred thousands more penetration then another. They make a hole, they sharpen easy and they kill deer. 

It has nothing to with getting "caught up" in his reports. Who else has done the extensive testing with all types of heads on all types of large game to come up with one that works the best? Can't think of any others that have so to say don't worry about his research at all is just silly.

Comparing modern day Heads to tests from decades ago is like comparing a Nascar car to a model T.

As many things once thought to be gospel have proven to be not totally accurate .

There is very little rotation on a Broadhead through an animal due to side pressure on the side surface of the blades .

Blades cut front to back .not side ways .

Single edged Heads were always felt to stay more durable on their thicker cutting edge . And while some may say they allow more rotation .

IMO it's more that the single bevel just allows a little more push off due to the slightly less surface area .working to push away from the cut like a cheese knife does .

Whether it really penetrates that 1/4 more than a double edge is hard to tell when my Broadhead is 10" in the ground after its pass through

Remember also many of the old tests were done at traditional distances . Where many of the arrows hardly had spun at all .

Even with a crazy helical an arrow doesn't spin until approx 21'

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I agree with Hammer, one thing that gets lost in all the so called "testing".  There is only one grade of DEAD, and in order to achieve that state the indian needs to be precise with his shot placement. To be honest, I think thunderheads produce a better blood trail then the single bevels. That's just my findings, your mileage my vary......... 

The one thing about a 2-blade head is it is superior in ability to split bone, and the case can be made that single bevel might is a little better at it than double edge.

To say a 1 1/8" single bevel 2-blade would kill a deer any faster than a 1 1/8' double-edge 2-blade on a full pass-through, double-lung hit would be absurd. I don't see the "twist" being enough to impact that.  

I could argue that for those that like to aim further forward and "tight in the crease" or "straight up the leg" as I do (on a broadside shot) are better off with the best 2-blade bone splitter, while those that tend to aim further back are better off with a massive-cut expandable.   (one extreme vs the other).

For me - I find a solid steel, COC 3-blade in 1 1/8" to be the perfect compromise in terms of flight, penetration, blood letting, and still bad to the bone.

If my only choices were a 2-blade or an expandable, I would go with any quality 2-blade regardless of bevel, although I cannot dispute the efficacy of quality expandables shot out of today's modern archery tackle either, except for one particular brand who's name escapes me.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I think hammer and jack raised the most interesting points.

1-does it really matter when all of my arrows are usually burried in the ground upon passthrough anyway?

2-will they split bone better than other heads? And is that actually important?

I've had great success with many heads, fixed and expandable, but the only reason I'm going to try one of these is because they were free from the giveaway I won, they are incredibly well made and thus far they are flying like darts and hitting just the same as my black hornets and QADs.

Edited by not on the rug

Clearly yes any head will kill deer and don't think anyone is saying different. What stands out to me is the ability to split bone and a spiral wound channel with the ability to cut on the way back out. How are those bad features??. To even ask the question does it matter if my head splits bone is crazy. Of course it matters, it matters as much if not more than guys using expandables (even with all the negatives and flaws) to help them on gut shots so why is it crazy to say I want a head that's going to split that Bucks leg bone or shoulder blade when in reality you're more likely to hit those bones on a shot than to be back in no mans land hitting guts if you're any kind of archer?

What difference does it make how long ago the studies were done? Heads haven't really changed that much in these pass decades. It's still a sharp point with sharp blades. Not everything changes for the better either, we see that every single day. To me it's crazy one word (Ashby) a man that has done more testing shooting animals than anyone has started a pissing match! The guy asked a question on who shot them and the experiences, I gave mine and have no complaints and added in why I started trying them. I know why I don't post more cause most of you guys are like schoolgirls with the cliques and likes buttons, it's pretty funny actually!

They work for me they are thick as knife blades and I can keep on resharpening and killing deer with the them.

Edited by Hitemnasty

Clearly yes any head will kill deer and don't think anyone is saying different. What stands out to me is the ability to split bone and a spiral wound channel with the ability to cut on the way back out. How are those bad features??. To even ask the question does it matter if my head splits bone is crazy. Of course it matters, it matters as much if not more than guys using expandables (even with all the negatives and flaws) to help them on gut shots so why is it crazy to say I want a head that's going to split that Bucks leg bone or shoulder blade when in reality you're more likely to hit those bones on a shot than to be back in no mans land hitting guts if you're any kind of archer?

What difference does it make how long ago the studies were done? Heads haven't really changed that much in these pass decades. It's still a sharp point with sharp blades. Not everything changes for the better either, we see that every single day. To me it's crazy one word (Ashby) a man that has done more testing shooting animals than anyone has started a pissing match! The guy asked a question on who shot them and the experiences, I gave mine and have no complaints and added in why I started trying them. I know why I don't post more cause most of you guys are like schoolgirls with the cliques and likes buttons, it's pretty funny actually!

They work for me they are thick as knife blades and I can keep on resharpening and killing deer with the them.

Too much starch in your underwear today? :happywave:

Where did this come from??? :shock: