IGNORED

Had to rebuild the community scrape

Some of u may recall some pics of my all time favorite licking branches, a spot I commonly refer to as the community scrape. Well it got trashed by an ice storm late last fall. The highly invasive and detested Autumn Olive bush that used to be vertical, was laid down horizontal.  What to do?  Break out the chainsaw and re-shape it... I cut everything close to ground, up to about where a buck can just barely reach a few branches. Made a nice big swash and carved it out. It looks better than ever, and for the first time, I may actually be able to see what is coming around that corner from my stand. The first pic is looking back at the stand.   The key to it's success is location, by using my DR Field and Brush mower, to mow path's through the bedding area, back to a big 3 acre field I mow for my neighbor (poor man's food plot - but it does grow wild clovers if I mow it often enough).    

I highly recommend that you create some ideal licking branches/bushes in prime stand locations where you can set up and have the wind in your favor and get a safe entrance/exit.  Build it and they will come.

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Looks good Jack! Definitey check and check again for ticks after doing that project.

Will be fun to see the pics again of the players working it  :up:

just one - a wood tick, not a deer tick.... Gonna have my GF go for a more thorough inspection later though, just to be safe...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Nice work Jack. Deer use licking branches year round. I like to scratch away the grass, and give them bare dirt to investigate. They will readily visit these branches leaving saliva and scent from various glands on their face and head.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW