Sign in to follow this  
SlugsnArrows

Antler Growth has to do with Momma

That's a good read SlugsnArrows.  You're right, we should see some good bucks as a result of the acorns 2 winters ago.  

The parental care part of this was already well-understood.   The South Dakota part doesn't make much sense to me as written, but unfortunately the link they provide to read it is broken.   I think what the article is trying to say is that if the fitness of the mother is lacking, even if you transport the mother and fawn to high-quality fauna, the buck offspring still wont attain maximum growth.  I suppose that makes sense, but is not terribly shocking, the surprising part is the "entire life" bit, which seems odd, but without the link to the study we dont know how many years "entire life" is, or the 'N's for that matter.  Interesting though.

That's a good read SlugsnArrows. You're right, we should see some good bucks as a result of the acorns 2 winters ago.

I got trail cams out over Mineral sites and can't wait to pull my cards and see what kind of bone I have on camera!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

Almost all bucks in Nj will never see their maximum antler potential. They will be killed most likely never seeing 3 + years. 

2nd, stress from 6 months of nonstop hunting doesnt help either