IGNORED

Excalibur string

John B

Just put on my new string, 60x on my matrix 380. The center serving is not centered by just over 1 inch. I measured, the serving is more on one side the the string by just over 1 inch. Is this going to matter? Is this acceptable from the company? The stock string it's replacing was perfectly​ centered. I am not happy with it.

I was thinking this, but I measured the string. There is a different amount of space from either side of the center serving to the ends of the string. The only way I could possibly center it by twisting would be by twisting one side of the string to make it shorter while holding the serving so the other side does not twist, but this would cause unequal tention. The string was manufactured with an off center, center serving. Never had this issue with the original it came with, and the replacement stock string I used.

Just put on my new string, 60x on my matrix 380. The center serving is not centered by just over 1 inch. I measured, the serving is more on one side the the string by just over 1 inch. Is this going to matter? Is this acceptable from the company? The stock string it's replacing was perfectly​ centered. I am not happy with it.

This is not acceptable at all.. 60X has been around for awhile and is not new to the string making industry. I would contact them and return it.  I've had in the past used them for my  Bowtech RPM for a complete string and cable set and the set arrived out of spec. i called them, they replaced the set, then within two weeks the end loop servings started to separate. I was done with them.... Also there have been guys over on Crossbow talk who have ordered string and cable sets from 60X and get them in and the cable and string specs are off.

There are way too many string makers out there to settle for a sub par string or off centered serving, especially one as simple to make and serve for a recurve xbow...

Guys I would recommend are Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery Phone: (740) 483-2312 Danny does not have a website, you have to call him

David at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575  https://www.wyverncreations.com/

Good luck

Edited by BowTechExperience

The factory string never stopped stretching, it's twisted so many times it cannot be twisted any more. So I heard 60x was good. Simple to order, no wait, 30 dollars. The center serving is off to one side over a full inch. Even if 60x sends me a new string that's centered, I don't want it failing in the middle of the season, after I spent the time and effort getting dialed in. I will go with the above recommend makers. I will also do more research. It should not be so hard to buy a damn string! I know about"boo" but I can't wait a year.

Was the original string the black and tan string or the new blue ones? IMHO both are junk strings that just continue to stretch.... Personally I like the Danny Miller flemish strings, they stretch initially but once settled, they hold... Though they are supposedly not as fast a string as OEM because of the weight differences...

What I will do with a new string is install it and then cock the bow and leave it cocked for a couple days to get the stretch out and then let it down readjust for brace height and then cock it again for another day, readjust and start shooting it. Typically I hunt from sunrise to sunset and my bow is cocked for up to 12-14 hours a day during the season and have not : 1- serving separation and 2:- stretch after it has settled with a DM flemish string and I think they are only $20-22 from him...

Edited by BowTechExperience

The string was manufactured with an off center, center serving. Never had this issue with the original it came with, and the replacement stock string I used.           

Well if it has a manufacturer defect, send it back.. I've ordered several strings from the OEM and never had a problem..

:D

Thanks, I will contact Danny Miller. I don't even need or want a Flemish. Just a regular high quality string. The only issue I had with the OEM string, 2 of them, is they never stop stretching. Glad you got a good one.

Why buy anything to replace the original but another Excalibur string? 

An Excalibur "factory" string is better quality than most "custom" strings you're going to find out there, because they're not really factory strings to begin with.

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

The only issue I had with the OEM string, 2 of them, is they never stop stretching. Glad you got a good one.

Didn't you only get your Excalibur crossbow less than a few years ago?   Sounds like you never really worked in a string to begin with, but at any rate, adjusting your brace height every once in a while is part of life.     If you're truly getting crazy fluctuations with multiple Excalibur strings all the time, it makes me wonder if you're keeping the bow in a humid place or a spot with big temperature fluctuations.  Something's not right, because Excalibur strings are awesome.

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

The bow is kept in a cool room out of sunlight, not a basement.I take insanely good care of it. Like my other gear, keep it in the best conditions possible. I have no issue adjusting the brace height. I mean have had to twist this string so many times it cannot be twisted any more. I know you have good experience with Excalibur strings, I need to try another brand. Yes so far the factory string is far superior to 60x, will be returning it.

Edited by John B

Spoke to Danny Miller great guy. Getting 2 strings for $23, sending him the old factory string back. Amazing price. The string comes set to correct length, just put on, it's pre stretched. He was very clear the string comes tied and not to let it untwist, just put on as is. He also explained not to wax the center serving.

As for 60x, they said send it back, they will adjust center serving. What a joke, 30 for one of their strings, or 23 for 2 of Danny Miller's​! Not a hard choice. I am not going to waste the postage on the 60x.

That is a completely fantastic price.  But wasn't the problem that you didn't like the Excalibur strings, if so, why would you buy from Danny Miller?   So confused. :headscratch:

Edited by BenedictGomez

I had trouble with the Excalibur model 1994 stock replacement string I bought on Amazon, the same one​ that came with the bow.

Here is the deal. Spoke to Danny. The Excalibur strings sold on Amazon are made by him, but the are too long because when Excalibur made the limbs slightly shorter to resolve the limb tip issue a few years ago, they told Danny to make the strings the same length, even though he knew better. Sure enough these are the strings that keep stretching. He assured me the strings he is sending me are different then the ones on Amazon, since they are the correct length for the post re designed matrix. Since the only issue I had was stretch, these strings will be great since the are the correct length. I now know more about the string then I think I ever planned to. It all makes sense now.

Edited by John B