Sign in to follow this  
lost9340

public land tactics

whats your favorite tactics when hunting on public land?

I like to see what everyone else is doing and use other hunters to my advantage like from there pressure i hunt the funnels the deer use to escape to safety or do the exact opposite of what everyone else does like when everyone hunts deep in the woods ill hunt right up close by the road.

I have to agree. Your both right. Every situation is different. Deep in a swamp is always good on public land, but sometimes with the pressure from others it keep the deer on the edge

transfer all sign you find to google earth rubs, scrapes ect. compare to the terrain and try to find a pattern of deer use. I also check areas that just dont look like good hunting. Those areas seem to get way les pressure.

Still/Stalk hunt on Public land.. If i'm gong to sit, I go shallow early in the season and then deeper and deeper as it progresses...:thumb_up:

I can honestly say I simply go where the animals are. lol

Sometimes that's 10ft off the road, sometimes it's over a mile in, or somewhere in between. I always try to narrow an area down to the best potential spots on aerial maps before I set foot in the woods to scout. After each scouting mission I come back to the maps and try to understand why animals are doing what they are doing. Where the best ambush points would be, entry/exit routes to least impact the area. I also pay attention to the predicted wind directions and what they are actually doing. Very hilly in most the places I hunt and that often causes winds to do anything but what they are supposed to, unless you hunt high on the hilltops or understand how it's flowing through the terrain the wind in these areas can be downright frustrating.

If it's in season I will utilize the same method but sometimes carry in my gear for a hunt. I've scored some nice deer by going in the first time to a funnel or inside corner, etc that I've located on a map.

I have to agree with Jim the deep swamp is my favorite spot. I hunt private and public in zone 5. I walk the swamp and look to see where the deer are entering and exiting the swamp. Then I try to set myself up on one of these or I will hunt the fields in the evenings in the early season.

I usually just put up a sign in/out sheet so I know when the deer are coming and going...saves on scouting. it really depends on a host of different situations. The piece I hunt in z23 is probably the worst as far as deer hunting is concerned to a lot of hunters...not very deep and has only a very small swamp on one side. But if I can get there at a certain time of day, the deer are right out in the open. When I hunt z35, I stay 20 yards off the field's edge because the deer skirt the edge of the field at the end of the day. My point here is that I rarely go deep, but will make the change if the pressure warrants.

Bedding areas and clusters of rubs. I tend to think bucks rub after getting out of their beds and just before they bed down. These areas often have clustered rubs instead of the tradition rub lines. Deer move less with presssure so locating bedding areas is key to me.

Deerslayer01..Did you tell your buddy "bet you cant shoot this apple out of my hand"???

WOW!! haha that photo is just disturbing...

:cupcoffee:.....Bagging deer on public property is a little more challenging this time of year but, for those of us who know how to hunt, as long as the deer are there, we’ll find’um and take’um..

get as far in as you can... "thats what she said" lol i hunt state forest in PA and everyone hunts within a mile of the road, but we walk literally 2.2 miles back. its paid off several times

I use the same Google Earth technique as noted above. I turn my GPS on in the parking lot and then walk around with it running. I'll mark spots on the GPS and take notes in a small notebook. Photos with GPS tagging helps too. When I get out of the woods I can attach the GPS to the computer and Google Earth will load all of the data. It's interesting to walk around for 3 hours and look on Google Earth to see where you were. Occasionally I'll find a trail or a better way to my spot by doing that.

Who told Axiom about this site? :banghead:

But in all seriousness, the public land by me is all big woods. The best tactics here involve hunting the funnels. Topo maps and fresh snow are your best friends for finding the spots that concentrate consistent deer movement to and from bedding areas in the mornings and evenings.

Dan dont sell public land short, there are ALOT more bucks killed on public land than many want to believe.

My avatar buck was shot on public land , and I hunted him three years before shooting him , state aged him at 7 1/2

public land can be great, tough after 6 day and even tougher in zones that have unlimitted sg/ml days. I found some of the best hunting on public land. I go deep and less than 100yrds from main rds. It usually works best for me when I pattern the hunters in the area, the deer seem to pattern them. Some places where guy's go deep in I stay on fringes places where they stay close to roads or fire cuts I may go towards bedding areas and swamp edges

o check areas that just dont look like good hunting. Those areas seem to get way les pressure.

I do this also. Find the areas other guys aren't hunting. Doesn't matter how good an area,is if it is getting to much pressure. It's going to make it tough.

Sometimes the areas that all the other guys drive past when going in deep can pay off too

I do this also. Find the areas other guys aren't hunting. Doesn't matter how good an area' date='is if it is getting to much pressure. It's going to make it tough.

Sometimes the areas that all the other guys drive past when going in deep can pay off too

[/quote']

So many "too open" places are overlooked. It doesn't take much for deer to hide and go unnoticed. Anyone who has hunted Kansas could attest to that. Fence rows and small patches of cover are alive with deer more so than pressured open woods.

OK here is the secret to public land hunting. DO NOT study the Deer but study the other hunters that consistently hunt there. The more the better. They wil do all the work for you. The more they are there the better it is for you. Deer will avoid them. You can find places the Deer are going TO avoid them and it is usually an area that shows no sign at all. AND it is usually not far from a road. You want to be able to sneak in quick undetected and early before the others get there. My best public land spot I could see my truck from my stand. I could smell the burgers cooking at Mulligans Tavern. The Deer would stage there until it got dark then move out to the numerous baitpiles guys were sitting on. I killed my 2 biggest Bucks from that spot. I always stopped at the parking area on my way home to BS with the other hunters. Recon baby lol.